Cruise Critic Community
Cousin Eddie

Mardi Gras Europe 9 Day August 31, 2020

On 10/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, Georgia Tech Girl said:

We have been booked for a year! So happy to be on another Inaugural cruise, the Horizon in the Med was great! And to visit Scandinavia too! What an opportunity!

We would love to stay for the Transatlantic, but alas, work will be waiting.

We'll fly Delta through Amsterdam or Paris to Copenhagen a couple of days early.

I have been to Europe many times and I am working on shore excursions now:

Not much in Hamburg, it was bombed to the ground in WWII, make sure to book an excursion to Lubeck, one of the last completely walled cities! Famous for Lübeck Marzipan!

Olso cruise port is right at the city center - no reason to take a tour out of town at all unless you need a bus ride to see it!

Brussels is cool, but Bruges is the charming town you want to see!

La Havre is not near Paris at all, but very near the D-Day landing beaches, or Mont Saint Michel Abbey (island) one of the coolest places in Europe! We plan to book a private tour for 4 so that we can get directly to the beaches up close.

Also working on the Southampton Transfer to London. Will definitely stay till the weekend. We'll book a transfer to tour Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Windsor on the transfer to London. I will post the company when we pick one. The first one didn't even have Sept. 9th on the list, but I emailed and told them about the Mardi Gras and they have added the tour for us.

Hi....do you know who you are booking your private tour with for La Havre?   I'm also interested in a private tour of D-Day (although I'm curious about Mont Saint Michel Abbey) for our party of 6.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, tamirpr said:

Hi, all!  My husband and I are joining you to celebrate my 50th birthday.  We've never been to any of these port except London.  We are looking into if we will be allowed to disembark in Le Havre so we can spend three or four days in Paris.  We are likely going to do some HOHO except for the port with the windmills.  I must see windmills! 🙂

What a great way to celebrate your 50th!  (I'm joining this thread late in the game...lol).  I just turned 50 this year, welcome to the "club".

Hi all.....we are so excited and looking forward to this trip.  There are 6 of us joining from Seattle.  Looking to get any info on port activities and tours (preferrably not through she ship).  We cruised the Vista in Europe and one of our best days was with a small group tour organized through these type of connections.  Can't wait!

On 10/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, WouldRatherBCruisin said:

Hi all.....we are so excited and looking forward to this trip.  There are 6 of us joining from Seattle.  Looking to get any info on port activities and tours (preferrably not through she ship).  We cruised the Vista in Europe and one of our best days was with a small group tour organized through these type of connections.  Can't wait!

I can offer some port information,

Boarding in Copenhagen, we are on our own,  When we were there this ship was within walking distance to the little mermaid statue

Tivoli gardens is an amusement park that opened in the 1840s, We walked around Christiansborg palace . We didn't go to Christianshavn we saw it and was very crowded

Kiel is about 90 minutes from Hamburg The ship has an excursion called Hamburg highlights and one place it goes to is miniature world. We went there on our own and we were there for 2.5 hours and felt like we could have stayed longer. Hamburg Dungeon is next door in the warehouse district and you can view the Hamburg opera house from there too. Hamburg has a lot to offer  we stayed there three days for: Hamburg Cruise Days"

Never been to Gothenburg.

Oslo, We docked next to Akershus castle built in 1290. one of the people we were with booked a private guide and it cost us less than $20 dollars to tour. Within walking distance is Oslo city hall which has some nice murals in and is in a shopping area. We

toured  the Viking ship museum and KonTiki museum.

Zeebrugge and Rotterdam are huge working ports  and docks are far away from sites you will need a plan if on your own.

In Zeebrugge, Bruges is close and is a fun. This last time we went to Brussels and loved the city I would do everything on the Ships tour. Must see for us was the Atomium,  and the area around maniken pis  and the Hague.

Rotterdam Is a large city we went to Delft where the blue tile comes from but is a big college town and then toured the city which has tier to our home town. Rotterdam has interesting cubic houses that are crooked three floor structures and a large food hall is across the street. Others we know went to Amsterdam but the didn't enjoy the long bus trip.

Speaking of long rides Paris is at least 2.5 hrs from Le Harve. We went to Honfleur a small old town and had a Calvados tasting at a distillery. 

Sorry to go on so long hope this gives people some ideas you can do online searches of the places I mentioned.

24 minutes ago, plimouth pilgrims said:

Boarding in Copenhagen, we are on our own,  When we were there this ship was within walking distance to the little mermaid statue

Tivoli gardens is an amusement park that opened in the 1840s, We walked around Christiansborg palace . We didn't go to Christianshavn we saw it and was very crowded

Kiel is about 90 minutes from Hamburg The ship has an excursion called Hamburg highlights and one place it goes to is miniature world. We went there on our own and we were there for 2.5 hours and felt like we could have stayed longer. Hamburg Dungeon is next door in the warehouse district and you can view the Hamburg opera house from there too. Hamburg has a lot to offer  we stayed there three days for: Hamburg Cruise Days"

Oslo, We docked next to Akershus castle built in 1290. one of the people we were with booked a private guide and it cost us less than $20 dollars to tour. Within walking distance is Oslo city hall which has some nice murals in and is in a shopping area. We

Zeebrugge and Rotterdam are huge working ports  and docks are far away from sites you will need a plan if on your own.

In Zeebrugge, Bruges is close and is a fun. This last time we went to Brussels and loved the city I would do everything on the Ships tour. Must see for us was the Atomium,  and the area around maniken pis  and the Hague.

Rotterdam Is a large city we went to Delft where the blue tile comes from but is a big college town and then toured the city which has tier to our home town. Rotterdam has interesting cubic houses that are crooked three floor structures and a large food hall is across the street. Others we know went to Amsterdam but the didn't enjoy the long bus trip.

Speaking of long rides Paris is at least 2.5 hrs from Le Harve. We went to Honfleur a small old town and had a Calvados tasting at a distillery. 

Sorry to go on so long hope this gives people some ideas you can do online searches of the places I mentioned.

Thanks so much!  I appreciate all the info.  Hamburg is on my list for Kiel.  Also, I've been looking at Bruges.  Is it possible to walk from the port in Zeebrugge to the train station, to catch a train to Bruges?   I've seen some say 'yes'.  Again-thanks!

On 10/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, WouldRatherBCruisin said:

Hi we are a group of 7 Aussies who cruised both the Vista inaugural and the Horizon transatlantic and have been booked on this cruise since the day the bookings opened

I have organised over 19 tours with 3 med and 1 asian cruise but am finding these countries a lot different to arrange than the med where those companies had great tours and at a good price....

if you find anything and am looking for others to join, we never do ships tours, too crowded, to quick, too much waiting around

cheers from down under 

Good morning Mardi Gras cruisers it is getting real I just booked my hotel for the inaugural Hotel Kong Arthur for August 28 thru 31st. Anyone else booked what hotel and how long.

14 hours ago, WouldRatherBCruisin said:

Thanks so much!  I appreciate all the info.  Hamburg is on my list for Kiel.  Also, I've been looking at Bruges.  Is it possible to walk from the port in Zeebrugge to the train station, to catch a train to Bruges?   I've seen some say 'yes'.  Again-thanks!

On youtube you have to catch a bus from the port to the train station and be mindful of the times.

We are looking at an excursion in Zeebrugge,, taking us to Bruges.  We would have the driver for 8 hours and he will take us whereever we want to go.. He has hosted many excursions and lives there and knows all the spots to take us.. We are just 2 people looking for anyone who wants to join us to cut the cost down. He can manage up to 8 people. It is with Tours by locals and it sounded exactly what we are looking for.  If we get 8 sign up it will be aroun $74. each ,, if we go with 6 it will be about $98. please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks

I haven't posted in awhile..We are two couples one from Philadelphia and us from Toronto.

We have been on 5 Med cruises and a Baltic cruise and i've always been the organizer of private tours before but would happily defer to others this time around.

Can you please contact me privately about your proposed Bruges  small private tour..i can be reached at drillers at rogers dot com.

thanks,

Amit

32 minutes ago, Lv2bmovin said:

We are looking at an excursion in Zeebrugge,, taking us to Bruges.  We would have the driver for 8 hours and he will take us whereever we want to go.. He has hosted many excursions and lives there and knows all the spots to take us.. We are just 2 people looking for anyone who wants to join us to cut the cost down. He can manage up to 8 people. It is with Tours by locals and it sounded exactly what we are looking for.  If we get 8 sign up it will be aroun $74. each ,, if we go with 6 it will be about $98. please let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks

We would be interested (2) Brenda & Ray (silversneakers).  Do we pay when we arrive or is it prepay?

42 minutes ago, Lv2bmovin said:

Thanks

I am interested to join need more info.

2 hours ago, telebax51 said:

I am interested to join need more info.

I forgot to include my email telebax51@aol.com again I am interested TED and ELAINE

3 hours ago, silversneakers said:

We would be interested (2) Brenda & Ray (silversneakers).  Do we pay when we arrive or is it prepay?

Great. We are waiting to hear back from driver. Just wanted to see if there was interested will send you details soon 

22 minutes ago, telebax51 said:

I forgot to include my email telebax51@aol.com again I am interested TED and ELAINE

We are waiting to hear back from driver . Will email you when I get the details. Sonna

4 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Let us know.  bnau070@gmail.com  Thank you.

4 hours ago, docsdrillers said:

I haven't posted in awhile..We are two couples one from Philadelphia and us from Toronto.

We have been on 5 Med cruises and a Baltic cruise and i've always been the organizer of private tours before but would happily defer to others this time around.

Can you please contact me privately about your proposed Bruges  small private tour..i can be reached at drillers at rogers dot com.

thanks,

Amit

Hi I’m waiting to hear back from driver. Will give more info then. Thanks Sonna

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Lv2bmovin said:

Thanks

We are interested in your tour, please contact me at

Eventschair@aol.com

Lorraine

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Lv2bmovin said:

Thanks

We are interested. Please contact us at clairesouligny@gmail.com. We would like more information regarding this excursion. Thanks.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:37 PM, plimouth pilgrims said:

Great post, thanks for doing it.  

Lv2bmovin  we are interested in your excursion please contact us at franksavage@bellsouth.net   
with details 

On 10/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, abbey1609 said:

Hi we are a group of 7 Aussies who cruised both the Vista inaugural and the Horizon transatlantic and have been booked on this cruise since the day the bookings opened

I have organised over 19 tours with 3 med and 1 asian cruise but am finding these countries a lot different to arrange than the med where those companies had great tours and at a good price....

if you find anything and am looking for others to join, we never do ships tours, too crowded, to quick, too much waiting around

cheers from down under 

Hi there....I will let you know what I find.  I'm getting ideas at this point.  I really don't have any ideas for Kiel.  I will definitely touch base when I have more info.   Cheers!

1 hour ago, WouldRatherBCruisin said:

Hi there....I will let you know what I find.  I'm getting ideas at this point.  I really don't have any ideas for Kiel.  I will definitely touch base when I have more info.   Cheers!

thank you, that would be great 

Is anyone getting a bit nervous with the inaugural cruise....I just read that the new Costa Ship (which is owned by carnival) has had its inaugural cruise out of Copenhagen delayed due to problems with the new liquid gas they are using which is the same as the Mardi Gras and being built in the same ship yard in Finland

Hopefully they will learn from the new Costa Ship and the Mardi Gras will be fine...how disappointing for those who had booked on it to cruise this year