Cruise Critic Community
Cousin Eddie

Mardi Gras Europe 9 Day August 31, 2020

On 2/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, abbey1609 said:

After organising more than 19 private tours on the legend, the vista and horizon in Europe which were all fabulous, I was very concerned doing the same when we did a B2B asian cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong, I was worried with traffic and much larger populations and I can say, they were every bit as good as Europe so now I will have no hesitation anywhere in the world booking private companies as long as the research does not flag any major issues...it looks like quite a few people here willing to organise and plan for this many ports, after my New Zealand cruise and another South Pacific one, I will start getting into it ...its very exciting 

We did that same Voyager of the Seas cruise Asia summer of this year.  It was amazing.  I will also be researching and looking forward to some private tours.  There are 10 of us so I have my work cut out for me.  :0) 

We booked our flight with Condor back in August,,, and then the news about the Thomas cook problems,,,has anyone else booked with Condor.? Now or before.?  I’m a little nervous about this booking

19 minutes ago, Lv2bmovin said:

We booked our flight with Condor back in August,,, and then the news about the Thomas cook problems,,,has anyone else booked with Condor.? Now or before.?  I’m a little nervous about this booking

No, but I understand your concern.  I have the same concern about Norwegian even though their fares are attractive. My primary concern is that if a flight is cancelled Norwegian doesn't have much if any backup to offer  But again, you never know.  I tried booking through the Carnival Fly 2 Fun program but I was less than impressed as I had to tell the agent the airport codes/dates/etc.  I felt she didn't even know what I was talking about.  She then put me on hold so she could talk to her "travel department" and they said "the system is down"....not sure if that was true or not. I guess I'll keep shopping. Good luck.

16 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

No, but I understand your concern.  I have the same concern about Norwegian even though their fares are attractive. My primary concern is that if a flight is cancelled Norwegian doesn't have much if any backup to offer  But again, you never know.  I tried booking through the Carnival Fly 2 Fun program but I was less than impressed as I had to tell the agent the airport codes/dates/etc.  I felt she didn't even know what I was talking about.  She then put me on hold so she could talk to her "travel department" and they said "the system is down"....not sure if that was true or not. I guess I'll keep shopping. Good luck.

Thanks good luck to you airlines sure have all the power

40 minutes ago, Lv2bmovin said:

Thanks good luck to you airlines sure have all the power

I was just on the other site FB and some are saying Carnival Fly service will Not be offering flights to Copenhagen don't know how true it is but something for those who are waiting for their dates to open

14 hours ago, telebax51 said:

I was just on the other site FB and some are saying Carnival Fly service will Not be offering flights to Copenhagen don't know how true it is but something for those who are waiting for their dates to open

You are absolutely right.  I just got confirmation that they will not offer flights for this sailing. There was an indication that they may be offering transportation from hotel(?) to Port but they said more to come later.

Regarding return flights from London, does anyone know if Carnival will be offering transportation to Heathrow or Gatwick and what would be a good departure time for flight given that Gatwick is the closest at about 1 1/2 hours from Southhampton (I think) and that is the closest airport (I believe). I think you need at least 2 hours before departure time to be at the airport. 

14 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Regarding return flights from London, does anyone know if Carnival will be offering transportation to Heathrow or Gatwick and what would be a good departure time for flight given that Gatwick is the closest at about 1 1/2 hours from Southhampton (I think) and that is the closest airport (I believe). I think you need at least 2 hours before departure time to be at the airport. 

Do not know but would be shocked if they did not.  Even thought Gatwick is closer, but guess is that it would be easier to get returns out of Heathrow.  

I am working on a tour in Oslo,,, I wanted to see the Vigeland sculpture Park and the Holmenkollen ski jump and then still have time to walk the city,,, I found a tour that will take us to both places and will be 3 hours and then back to the ship to walk to town. any one interested? she can take as many as 10 people. The cost is $959. usd. Is there any interest?

35 minutes ago, Lv2bmovin said:

I am working on a tour in Oslo,,, I wanted to see the Vigeland sculpture Park and the Holmenkollen ski jump and then still have time to walk the city,,, I found a tour that will take us to both places and will be 3 hours and then back to the ship to walk to town. any one interested? she can take as many as 10 people. The cost is $959. usd. Is there any interest?

I maybe interested need more info. Is it just the two places?

yes,, if we want to add an hour to the  excursion and stop  some where else like the viking museum,, its $1188. total for up to 10 people and 17 euros  more to get into the museum. 

btw This excursion is by vehicle so that we don’t have to grab a bus or tram. It’s direct to Vigeland and ski jump

On 10/17/2019 at 5:41 AM, silversneakers said:

You are absolutely right.  I just got confirmation that they will not offer flights for this sailing. There was an indication that they may be offering transportation from hotel(?) to Port but they said more to come later.

My PVP showed me a screenshot showing that they will provide Carnival Air to Copenhagen and out of London Heathrow.  They will NOT, however, provide air to Copenhagen and return from NYC after our Back2Back.  Software does not support it.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, cpshaye said:

We just booked, and are so excited!!!!!!

So excited for this cruise and all the ports. This will be our first inaugural cruise. Bringing along my teen daughter. Not sure how many other “kids”  (she’ll be 17) will be on the ship, but we are so looking forward to exploring this part of Europe. Looking forward to see you all in Copenhagen!

25 minutes ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

My PVP showed me a screenshot showing that they will provide Carnival Air to Copenhagen and out of London Heathrow.  They will NOT, however, provide air to Copenhagen and return from NYC after our Back2Back.  Software does not support it.

Hi- we are from Gilbert and going on this cruise too!

On 10/13/2019 at 6:16 PM, abbey1609 said:

Is anyone getting a bit nervous with the inaugural cruise....I just read that the new Costa Ship (which is owned by carnival) has had its inaugural cruise out of Copenhagen delayed due to problems with the new liquid gas they are using which is the same as the Mardi Gras and being built in the same ship yard in Finland

Hopefully they will learn from the new Costa Ship and the Mardi Gras will be fine...how disappointing for those who had booked on it to cruise this year

On 10/10/2019 at 7:00 AM, telebax51 said:

Good morning Mardi Gras cruisers it is getting real I just booked my hotel for the inaugural Hotel Kong Arthur for August 28 thru 31st. Anyone else booked what hotel and how long.

I’m hoping to stop in Amsterdam for a day or so ahead of time and then get to Copenhagen the night before the cruise. Still looking at hotels though. 

On 7/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, tamirpr said:

Hi, all!  My husband and I are joining you to celebrate my 50th birthday.  We've never been to any of these port except London.  We are looking into if we will be allowed to disembark in Le Havre so we can spend three or four days in Paris.  We are likely going to do some HOHO except for the port with the windmills.  I must see windmills! 🙂

Hi. I will be celebrating my 50th too (a month belated). Maybe I will see you and we can toast to each other. 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, cruiser1202 said:

We did that same Voyager of the Seas cruise Asia summer of this year.  It was amazing.  I will also be researching and looking forward to some private tours.  There are 10 of us so I have my work cut out for me.  :0) 

there are 7 of us if you find any private tours....my friends trust me and I generally find a good value tour and just tell them what I have chosen, unless of course they have somewhere special they wish to visit, its too hard getting input and after spending weeks and months searching, someone has to make the decision and its me LOL 

We are 6 women and 1 brave man 

6 hours ago, GlendaleCruiser said:

That's interesting as my info came directly from inside Carnival.  Were you able to book anything?

7 hours ago, silversneakers said:

That's interesting as my info came directly from inside Carnival.  Were you able to book anything?

Not yet. We are looking at several options.  I have asked my PVP to go back to Carnival and ask if they would consider one ways to Copenhagen and let us find our way home from NYC on our own(easy peasy).  He hasn't answered yet.  Otherwise, might look into consolidators for a cheaper option.

13 hours ago, FLCruiser8 said:

I’m hoping to stop in Amsterdam for a day or so ahead of time and then get to Copenhagen the night before the cruise. Still looking at hotels though. 

What airline consolidator do you use?

I don't know where those that haven't booked airfare yet live but Norwegian have excellent prices one way direct.