Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cousin Eddie

Mardi Gras Europe 9 Day August 31, 2020

Recommended Posts

Good Morning, All!  Glad to see that there is a Roll Call for this brand new ship!  We sailed the Horizon in Europe and booked this as soon as it was available.   Looking for excursions and ideas for these ports of call.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check Carnival they offer excursions for some ports very briefly Oslo Norway lasted 1 week then they took it down, now its Kiel Germany up 2 weeks so I guess it is to early for all excursions to show up, I am waiting for airlines and Hotels to book then planning excursions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got lucky to get this booked.  Looked at it, could not make up our minds to do Carnival or a river cruise.  By the time I got back to look at it again, it was sold out & closed. A couple of days later, checking on a different cruise, saw it back up again.  Booked right away, had to get a TBA balcony. Prefer to pick our own, not wild about Cove.  As the saying goes "when you snooze, you lose".  At least, getting on the ship.

Will spend a few days before & after the cruise, so I will be watching for suggestions.  If I find anything good I will post it also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Good Buck said:

We got lucky to get this booked.  Looked at it, could not make up our minds to do Carnival or a river cruise.  By the time I got back to look at it again, it was sold out & closed. A couple of days later, checking on a different cruise, saw it back up again.  Booked right away, had to get a TBA balcony. Prefer to pick our own, not wild about Cove.  As the saying goes "when you snooze, you lose".  At least, getting on the ship.

Will spend a few days before & after the cruise, so I will be watching for suggestions.  If I find anything good I will post it also.

We too are in “Guarantee Balcony” category, I’m not excited about not knowing my room location, but I did have a TA tell me” don’t worry too much about it, most of the cabins that were first booked ( when you could choose your location), were the lesser priced ones, you may be surprised and luck into a fantastic location “.

 

That said, I too am thrilled to be on the Mardi Gras for a wonderful itinerary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Good Buck said:

We got lucky to get this booked.  Looked at it, could not make up our minds to do Carnival or a river cruise.  By the time I got back to look at it again, it was sold out & closed. A couple of days later, checking on a different cruise, saw it back up again.  Booked right away, had to get a TBA balcony. Prefer to pick our own, not wild about Cove.  As the saying goes "when you snooze, you lose".  At least, getting on the ship.

Will spend a few days before & after the cruise, so I will be watching for suggestions.  If I find anything good I will post it also.

My husband and I are Platinum with Carnival. We booked a back to back the second day the cruise got opened, the reason being that we wanted a Cove balcony.  Love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, telebax51 said:

Check Carnival they offer excursions for some ports very briefly Oslo Norway lasted 1 week then they took it down, now its Kiel Germany up 2 weeks so I guess it is to early for all excursions to show up, I am waiting for airlines and Hotels to book then planning excursions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was too late in deciding about this cruise and by the time I called they were sold out, but I got on a waiting list and two days later I got the call someone had cancelled. It is just an ocean view, but I am happy to be on the ship. I am doing the b2b with the TA. I saw that several people have posted they are doing the b2b. I wonder how many of us there will be. This will also be my first solo cruising,  ecause my husband can’t get the time off work. I am retiring in June and will have plenty of time !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, teacher34 said:

I was too late in deciding about this cruise and by the time I called they were sold out, but I got on a waiting list and two days later I got the call someone had cancelled. It is just an ocean view, but I am happy to be on the ship. I am doing the b2b with the TA. I saw that several people have posted they are doing the b2b. I wonder how many of us there will be. This will also be my first solo cruising,  ecause my husband can’t get the time off work. I am retiring in June and will have plenty of time !!

Congrats on your future retirement!  My husband and I are both retired teachers and spend our time now seeing the world!  We will both be on the B2B also! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats as well on your pending retirement.  We were lucky enough to retire 4 years ago.  The Northern Europe maiden voyage, followed by TA will be our 27th and 28th cruises.  #29 is already booked for Hawaii in Jan 2021.  Two cruises booked in between now and Mardi Gras.  Journeys (14 day) out of Baltimore this coming January, and Spring Break with the grandchildren in May to the Caribbean.

This is what we dreamt retirement would be like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, teacher34 said:

I was too late in deciding about this cruise and by the time I called they were sold out, but I got on a waiting list and two days later I got the call someone had cancelled. It is just an ocean view, but I am happy to be on the ship. I am doing the b2b with the TA. I saw that several people have posted they are doing the b2b. I wonder how many of us there will be. This will also be my first solo cruising,  ecause my husband can’t get the time off work. I am retiring in June and will have plenty of time !!

If the Mardi Gras cruise is anything like the Horizon cruise it may be over 500+ doing BTB and congrats on your retirement I have been FREE from work for 6 years. I would suggest booking European cruises as soon as they become available if you can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rtchoke6 said:

Congrats on your future retirement!  My husband and I are both retired teachers and spend our time now seeing the world!  We will both be on the B2B also! 

I am excited about retirement, but nervous also. I have taught for 47 years and I can’t imagine what I will do in Aug. when I don’t go back to school in 2020 ! I decided I needed to get as far away as I could! I finish in June 2020 and then turn 71 a couple of months later. I have been looking forward to cruising whenever I want, instead of always on a school schedule ! I hope we meet up on the cruise !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are very excited.  I have been retired for 8 years, but my husband is retiring in 4 weeks from today.  I personally have never been to Europe but my husband was in the military in Germany for 2 1/2 years many years ago.  We are heading there probably at least a week before the cruise because we want to see Barcelona, Venice and Paris befor heading to Copenhagen.  We are also spending a couple days in New York after the B2B.  It has been many years since we were there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jmdenver said:

We are very excited.  I have been retired for 8 years, but my husband is retiring in 4 weeks from today.  I personally have never been to Europe but my husband was in the military in Germany for 2 1/2 years many years ago.  We are heading there probably at least a week before the cruise because we want to see Barcelona, Venice and Paris befor heading to Copenhagen.  We are also spending a couple days in New York after the B2B.  It has been many years since we were there.

 

You are headed to some wonderful places!  Since retiring 8 years ago, I have tried to see as much of the world as possible.   WE were in Barcelona for the Horizon Transatlantic when it came out and loved it (both Barcelona and the Horizon!)  We saw Paris and Venice in May.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that Nicole and Jimbo are both on this cruise. I have enjoyed reading reviews from each of you many times. I hope to meet you both and can’t wait to read your reviews of the trip !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catching up on this thread - so very excited. Figuring out these ports is fun! What's everyone doing? We have yet to decide. I remember on the Vista in the Mediterranean we didn't get off the ship in one port so we could save some $$$ and just enjoy the ship. It's a lot of ports for 9 days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JennN said:

Catching up on this thread - so very excited. Figuring out these ports is fun! What's everyone doing? We have yet to decide. I remember on the Vista in the Mediterranean we didn't get off the ship in one port so we could save some $$$ and just enjoy the ship. It's a lot of ports for 9 days!

We too are really excited for these ports! We have never been to any of them, so we do plan to get off in each port. While we will miss not having tons of time on the ship, that will likely save me some $$ in the casino. 🤣

 

We haven't really planned any of the ports quite yet, but have looked at the handful of excursions that Carnival has posted so far. We're maybe thinking of doing the bus transport to the city center(s) and then figuring out things to do, as we are not a fan of daylong bus tours and prefer to check out local sites/shops/restaurants. 

 

We will keep watching for any private/group tours that people setup. Those have been fun on past cruises, especially the Vista TA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BTHodgeman said:

We too are really excited for these ports! We have never been to any of them, so we do plan to get off in each port. While we will miss not having tons of time on the ship, that will likely save me some $$ in the casino. 🤣

 

We haven't really planned any of the ports quite yet, but have looked at the handful of excursions that Carnival has posted so far. We're maybe thinking of doing the bus transport to the city center(s) and then figuring out things to do, as we are not a fan of daylong bus tours and prefer to check out local sites/shops/restaurants. 

 

We will keep watching for any private/group tours that people setup. Those have been fun on past cruises, especially the Vista TA. 

 

We really enjoyed doing the hop on/off bus in Rome - we were able to see the sites and spend time where we wanted. We didn't get off the Vista in Marseilles. We'd never been there before and read on these threads that the Tower of Pisa was basically the only thing to see in town so we opted to save the $400. Luckily, we aren't "big" casino people (maybe $100 each the entire cruise). I am hoping that Cheers is still a thing too - on the Medit. cruise our one non EU port was cancelled so there went Cheers! 

 

Cheers is where we earn OUR money back :classic_blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, Havasugirl said:

So excited!!  Anyone taking any side trips before or after?

We'll be in Copen for a few days before, London for a few days after, debating trying to get to Scotland and/or doing a layover trip in Iceland on the way back!

 

By "we" I mean my wife and I and my MIL! We will be celebrating 14 years of marriage when we get off the ship in Southampton! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JennN said:

 

We really enjoyed doing the hop on/off bus in Rome - we were able to see the sites and spend time where we wanted. We didn't get off the Vista in Marseilles. We'd never been there before and read on these threads that the Tower of Pisa was basically the only thing to see in town so we opted to save the $400. Luckily, we aren't "big" casino people (maybe $100 each the entire cruise). I am hoping that Cheers is still a thing too - on the Medit. cruise our one non EU port was cancelled so there went Cheers! 

 

Cheers is where we earn OUR money back :classic_blink:

We were on the Horizon last year and there were no cheers probably because you are allowed to purchase alcohol and wine at each port and take to your cabin, drink as much as you want, I spent about $125 for 15 bottles who needs cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Side trips before or after.  We’ll be doing the maiden voyage and the TA, as such we don’t see much of an opportunity to see London from Southhampton.  Docking in the morning, departing that afternoon.  I’m estimating 4 to 5 hours RT bus travel to London,   leaving little time to see the sights.  So.... we’ll be flying to London to spend three days prior to the Copenhagen departure.  The flights from London to Copenhagen are relatively inexpensive ($150 per), so adding a few days hotel in London gets us the chance to see much more of London. One extra day in Copenhagen prior to sailing as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just managed to get accommodation in Copenhagen today....this has to be one of the most expensive cities for accommodation we have found in our travels....I have read so many reviews and to be in the centre of town the rooms are either noisey, no lifts to the actual floors, shared bathrooms, many already booked out, nightclubs which don’t close till 5 am....we are more budget travellers but it has surprised us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, abbey1609 said:

We just managed to get accommodation in Copenhagen today....this has to be one of the most expensive cities for accommodation we have found in our travels....I have read so many reviews and to be in the centre of town the rooms are either noisey, no lifts to the actual floors, shared bathrooms, many already booked out, nightclubs which don’t close till 5 am....we are more budget travellers but it has surprised us 

We just began looking, fairly perplexed so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the warning.  We went online last night and found that MANY hotel are booked for the three days prior to the cruise.  We did find a room at the Ascot Hotel for the two nights prior (29th & 30th).  The hotel has no lifts but the room we booked does have a private bathroom.  Good luck everyone in finding accommodations if you’re arriving early to Copenhagen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!  I am so excited to have secured a spot on this inaugural voyage!  It will be great to explore my Nordic heritage and visit new European cities.  I’m traveling solo and looking forward to meeting new friends onboard!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m hoping that the scheduling for the Copenhagen hotels are much like what we have found  in the past for other cities.  When trying to book rooms more than 12 months in advance for other vacations, many of the on-line options & also calling the hotel direct is too far ahead.  The on-line options show “no availability “ & calling the hotel we are told “call back when it’s less than a year in advance.”  Then when  have gone on-line &/or called the hotel direct less than 12 months, it’s been amazing how much availability there is.

 

We did book a room (free cancellation) a few weeks ago for Copenhagen though not quite in the perfect location that we would like & definitely not in the budget we would usually prefer, just in case a better option isn’t available when we look again at the beginning of September.

 

 So, don’t panic quite yet, but do keep in mind how big the Mardi Gras is & how many ppl she will hold & how many will be needing accommodations for a night or 2 before we sail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...