Insight 14 day Alaska September 2020

BaltimoreCruise

Dear CC Members,

I have been interested in booking the 14 day Alaskan cruise (September 2020).  I departed the Veendam on Friday, January 25, 2019.  On Thursday I checked with the onboard cruise consultant to inquire about this cruise because I could not find the September sailings online or in my recently received cruise planner.  The cruise consultant checked her computer and confirmed that the sailing was not yet available.  Over the weekend, I received an email from HAL and the cruise that I am interested in booking is available.  Yesterday I started checking the prices and cabin options.  The cruise will be on the Maasdam.  On the HAL website, Deck 4 cabins (ocean view) are not available.  Same for Deck 5.  On the big box store website, there is a Deck 4 cabin available, but when I complete the information, the website indicates that the fare is non-refundable (Not interested in a non-refundable fare).  Have you experienced anything similar?  I thought I would have my choice of cabin/deck and not have to lock into a non-refundable fare.  I have not called the big box travel company yet.  I am hoping to have some insight before I do.  Thank you for your experience and insight.

BaltimoreCruise

When in doubt, call Holland America.  I bet they can check to see about the cabin you want too.

The 14 day Alaska cruise is one of the best.  We've done it twice and will probably do it again!

Utahtea

Edited by utahtea

Many web sites, including Holland America's will default to the lowest fare, which may be a non-refundable one.  Some websites have the ability to search by specific categories, as well as different fare options within a category.  Not all are websites are created equal.  Easy solution - pick up a phone, make a call to either a travel agency or HAL and see what refundable deposit options and room types are available.  If you are not happy with the pricing, room selection, booking perks, etc then hold off and book at another time.

Thank you for the information.  I do plan to call today or tomorrow and ask about pricing (refundable) and cabin selection.  We sailed twice on the Veendam in the past 12 months and that experience has assisted me with determining which Maasdam cabin we want to book.  I am still befuddled by the HAL website when I could not check cabins on the decks I'm interested in.  

The 14 day Alaska has been on the list for a few years.  I had it booked for September, 2018, but cancelled it to take the trip to Havana.

BaltimoreCruise