Sewage smell throughout Celebrity Edge?

layingblames

Maybe next time the big shots are on board, someone can walk them through it,   Sort of a Scratch and Sniff  tour. 

I  read the very helpful engineering explanations but think that by now issues should be resolved...if resolvable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, bEwAbG said:

Threatening to never sail with them again doesn't really work.  I'd suggest you write a (short) letter instead because your aggravation is probably not doing you any favors at this point.  Keep it to the salient points and don't use the word "liar."  Have someone who wasn't on the trip read your letter before you send it and take suggested revisions to heart.  State in that letter what you think the appropriate compensation is and be realistic.  They're not likely going to refund the entire cost of the trip.

You should also check out Christopher Elliott's consumer advocacy page.  elliott.org 

He has some good tips on how to seek satisfaction for valid complaints.

I just want to thank you again.  I went through Elliott.org to find some executive emails.  I emailed them and within 3 hours they called me back.  Someone in the executive office.  She claimed it was reviewed by the president of Celebrity and I was offered a much more reasonable solution (and profuse apologies.)  I did suggest they google "Celebrity Edge Sewage Odor", so they may well have found this thread.  Anyway, we accepted their offer and will apply it towards our next cruise to give them another shot. I honestly don't think I would like any other line as much.  I'm just going to stick to Millennium and Solstice class ships.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, randy98mtu said:

I just want to thank you again.  I went through Elliott.org to find some executive emails.  I emailed them and within 3 hours they called me back.  Someone in the executive office.  She claimed it was reviewed by the president of Celebrity and I was offered a much more reasonable solution (and profuse apologies.)  I did suggest they google "Celebrity Edge Sewage Odor", so they may well have found this thread.  Anyway, we accepted their offer and will apply it towards our next cruise to give them another shot. I honestly don't think I would like any other line as much.  I'm just going to stick to Millennium and Solstice class ships.

That's great to hear!  I think that site's approach is a great one and am glad it worked to bring you some resolution. 

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Maybe next time the big shots are on board, someone can walk them through it,   Sort of a Scratch and Sniff  tour. 

I  read the very helpful engineering explanations but think that by now issues should be resolved...if resolvable. 

We were on Reflection last week anchored at Grand Cayman and Lisa was coming aboard for Woman's Day and we heard she was then going on Edge (which was anchored next to us) for the ride back to Florida.  Maybe she smelled it.😯

Edited by mafig

Glad OP got a satisfactory resolution.  Maybe the ships try to keep these neg issues from top mgmt shoreside...????

Does anyone in suites have an experience with "the smell? "

Not sure where LLP stays when she is on board, but I assume it would be a suite with private dining..even if she goes out and about on the ship..

Edited by hcat

We were on The Edge February 24th sailing.  Loved the ship, food, service etc but this ship most definitely smells like sheeeet....

We smelled it first day while still docked in Fort Lauderdale at the Sunset bar and was thinking it was Fort Lauderdale until we smelled it again at sail away in ports.   It’s disgusting and Celebrity really needs to address this.  It certainly didn’t ruin our cruise but we did avoid the Sunset and rooftop area.  I won’t be sailing on this ship again until Celebrity gets their sheet together.  Literally!!  I have sympathy for anyone who had to deal with it in their cabins and glad too see your getting compensated.  Based on what we smelled (and many others on our sailing) you deserve any compensation you got.   

Edited by Work2cruz!
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, randy98mtu said:

We just got off the Edge on Sunday. We had a S1 non-aft suite. Suite was fine. I have not done a review yet. We will not do another 7 days cruise on any of the Edge class ships. We might try a 12 or 14 night cruise in 2022 if they have them. The ship is beautiful, just not for us. Other wise we are going to only book M or S class ships.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We just got off the Edge on Sunday. We had a S1 non-aft suite. Suite was fine. I have not done a review yet. We will not do another 7 days cruise on any of the Edge class ships. We might try a 12 or 14 night cruise in 2022 if they have them. The ship is beautiful, just not for us. Other wise we are going to only book M or S class ships.

Curious why you would sail Edge for longer cruises but not 7 nights again. 

6 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Not for you because what she is offering, or the actual ship layout?

I have read on the Royal forum that if you post on their FB page you are more likely to get a better response. Can't say for sure since I have never had to do this, but it will be seen by a lot more people.

We were on the Feb. 24th cruise in an SV on Deck 10.  The only time I smelled "the smell" was in the rear corridor near our cabin.  It wasn't overly strong, but it was noticeable.  Thank goodness we did not smell it in our cabin!  I have also noticed this sewage smell in other ships and even in some hotel rooms.  With all the RC engineers, you would think they could solve this problem.  Bottom line for us is that it was momentarily unpleasant, but it would not affect our choice of ship.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, bEwAbG said:

Threatening to never sail with them again doesn't really work.  I'd suggest you write a (short) letter instead because your aggravation is probably not doing you any favors at this point.  Keep it to the salient points and don't use the word "liar."  Have someone who wasn't on the trip read your letter before you send it and take suggested revisions to heart.  State in that letter what you think the appropriate compensation is and be realistic.  They're not likely going to refund the entire cost of the trip.

You should also check out Christopher Elliott's consumer advocacy page.  elliott.org 

He has some good tips on how to seek satisfaction for valid complaints.

I had never heard about Christopher Elliot, thanks for the information.  Far more useful than anything we can learn about sewage systems that don't work.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I have read on the Royal forum that if you post on their FB page you are more likely to get a better response. Can't say for sure since I have never had to do this, but it will be seen by a lot more people.

For those of us who do not use FB..have there been any posts about the sewage odor?  

We have an Sv on deck 7 nov..hope no smells

On 3/15/2019 at 7:23 PM, DebInAntigua said:

Curious why you would sail Edge for longer cruises but not 7 nights again. 

My thoughts are. With twice as many suites on the Edge. The Retreat and Luminae are twice the size. We just started meeting people until just about the end of the cruise. I'm hoping that on longer cruises there will be more time to talk and learn from other cruisers. The photo below is showing about half of Luminae.

IMG_20190305_190507458.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
edit of spelling

I am glad you finally got a resolution.  It's ridiculous that Celebrity wouldn't give you proper compensation while on-board.  Then you had to waste time and be aggravated after your trip.  sheesh  Very poor customer service by X.  We sailed on the Edge B2B and smelled "the odor" several times as we were walking the hallways.  Thank goodness, never had the odor in our cabin.  Take care and I hope your next cruise is odor free.

• Like 1

Just off the Edge (3/10 sailing) in a S1 aft. Odor started in our area about on day 4 and grew daily. Sulfur smell in the hallways on several decks and plenty of scent in our toilet room. Curiously if we kept the door closed it didn’t seem to seep too far into the rest of the bathroom or into the suite.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:03 AM, ReneeFLL said:

I have done it with success for Celebrity. We had to cancel a TA leaving Rome. I knew I would loose our deposit as that is T&C ‘S in the UK. However, I objected to having to pay the cancelled Air in full. I was informed that I was told this at booking. I said I wasn’t and nowhere was it in writing. After plenty of emails without success, I put an objection on FB. I was not charged for the flights.(No money had actually been paid as it was part of the air booking which was more than 52 weeks out, so had not actually been booked by Celebrity.)

I wonder if this isn't a problem caused by incorrect assumptions on the effects of the IV balconies.  Perhaps the opening of the IV balconies lowers the pressure in certain sections of the ship resulting in a backflow of the sewer gases.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I have done it with success for Celebrity. We had to cancel a TA leaving Rome. I knew I would loose our deposit as that is T&C ‘S in the UK. However, I objected to having to pay the cancelled Air in full. I was informed that I was told this at booking. I said I wasn’t and nowhere was it in writing. After plenty of emails without success, I put an objection on FB. I was not charged for the flights.(No money had actually been paid as it was part of the air booking which was more than 52 weeks out, so had not actually been booked by Celebrity.)

That's ridiculous that you even had to go to FB over this, especially more than 52 weeks out.  Did this happen recently?

I’m sorry to hear people are still experiencing this. I’m just off the Edge on 3/10 and did not experience any foul odors. We had a mid ship IV and we were all over the ship, including the sunset bar.

12 hours ago, Kreative03 said:

Just off the Edge (3/10 sailing) in a S1 aft. Odor started in our area about on day 4 and grew daily. Sulfur smell in the hallways on several decks and plenty of scent in our toilet room. Curiously if we kept the door closed it didn’t seem to seep too far into the rest of the bathroom or into the suite.

Please specify deck...I am in an S1 aft on the 15 day TA, and do not want that smell for my cruise...I heard someone say it was deck 11, but did not know if it was starboard or port...I sure do not want to go through what others have posted.

Edited by Lastdance

26 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Please specify deck...I am in an S1 aft on the 15 day TA, and do not want that smell for my cruise...I heard someone say it was deck 11, but did not know if it was starboard or port...I sure do not want to go through what others have posted.

Relax... as a member of the “112.. club”  I can attest that there were no “smelly” odors to worry about. 😉 Looking forward to passing the baton to you on the TA. 😁

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1