Sewage smell throughout Celebrity Edge?

layingblames

6 hours ago, Oville said:

And since you have apparently cruised on Edge based on a recent poll, what was your direct experience of the odor?

In fact, based on that poll, you cruised on Edge in an IV cabin and and did not like the Edge; of course it was  “fake news” as you have never cruised on Edge, shame.

You have no idea of where I've cruised.  I don't feel the need to write a review of every cruise or list them in my signature.  If you continue the personal attacks, I'll need to report you to the moderators.

It's also irrelevant if you or I experienced the sewer gas smell.  Apparently many people have experienced the smell and it affected their enjoyment of the cruise.  It appears to be a problem and we should continue to have an open and hnest discussion about the problem until Celebrity solves the problem and the sewer gas smell is eliminated.

7 hours ago, Magik Bee said:

I think I felt that way the entire trip but the other way. So sad to be home but it really was a great trip and some people don't want to hear it!

It seems like you've told us a lot about your trip, but if you've left something out of your previous posts please tell what you experienced.

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don't know since I'm not on FB very much. Maybe someone else will know.

I completely agree, but FB gets more traffic. Two places is better than one.

I can't answer for sure what happens to them, but I do know that people can report certain posts. That could be the case and then they get deleted. Deleting informative post shouldn't happen imo.

I have seen postings on fb as well and many commenting the same as here.  It’s an issue that some experience on board and others didn’t.    We didn’t smell it all the time but when we did it was gagging and we had to leave that area.   Celebrity obviously knows about it.  Maybe the problem is too big to fix without bringing the ship in for major redesign, who knows.   But they need to fix it.  We love Celebrity and have 3 more upcoming cruises (none on the Edge).   This hasn’t stopped us from sailing Celebrity but I wouldn’t book a future booking on the Edge until I hear this is resolved.    I am also intrigued at people who attack people on these blogs.  I just hope I don’t meet any of them on any of my cruises.   Something tells me I’d know pretty quick that your not my kind of people if I do.   

Edited by Work2cruz!
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Work2cruz! said:

I am also intrigued at people who attack people on these blogs.  I just hope I don’t meet any of them on any of my cruises.   

I agree, I wish people would stop attacking other people because they disagree.  For some reason that I don't understand, the Edge seems to have a cult following and you are not allowed to criticize the Edge.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree, I wish people would stop attacking other people because they disagree.  For some reason that I don't understand, the Edge seems to have a cult following and you are not allowed to criticize the Edge.

Amen to this

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

you are not allowed to criticize the Edge

I would think a sewage smell should allow for criticism.  But, over on the Royal Carib forum I have discovered that you aren't even allowed to be disappointed when they yank your cruise for a charter. Apparently, we are all supposed to have cruised 20 times and have the resources to jet elsewhere or rebook on a moment's notice without batting an eyelash.

The lack of respect for others on this board is astounding considering the alleged goal is enhancing vacations for everybody.

What if it is the Edge defenders (deniers) who actually are smelly, and they hang out in certain places like the Martini Bar, and that explains the defensiveness?

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Do you know if the person you responded to ever sailed on Edge?

No I do not know with certainty. Just like early on  with the pro Edenists, one of whom no longer posts under the orig screen name used but is possibly back as another persona.   The post   I  responded to seems legit..

But I did sail on EDGE and did walk  by the stenchy  hallway smell..daily...just beyond the suite area on Deck...9. 

Have also sailed on other ships with that smell...most of those were older than EDGE  which is why it is concerning . 

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Trust me I believe you, please ignore ipeeinthepool, just someone with a problem who needs attention.

We are returning to the Edge for the 3rd time in 16 days, can’t wait and so looking forward to it.

Unfortunately you are putting your trust in the wrong person. I’m pretty sure that “Magik Bee” is the former “B Rizzles Mom” who was spoofing CC members before. Blocking appears to be the only solution to this problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Work2cruz! said:

We were on The Edge February 24th sailing.  Loved the ship, food, service etc but this ship most definitely smells like sheeeet....

We smelled it first day while still docked in Fort Lauderdale at the Sunset bar and was thinking it was Fort Lauderdale until we smelled it again at sail away in ports.   It’s disgusting and Celebrity really needs to address this.  It certainly didn’t ruin our cruise but we did avoid the Sunset and rooftop area.  I won’t be sailing on this ship again until Celebrity gets their sheet together.  Literally!!  I have sympathy for anyone who had to deal with it in their cabins and glad too see your getting compensated.  Based on what we smelled (and many others on our sailing) you deserve any compensation you got.   

CONFIRMED!

This is the exact story you told us sitting at the World Class Bar aboard Silhouette. You were kind enough not to share this sheet! story with us while eating at the Lawn Club Grill. It was great to meet you. Too bad it was the last evening of our cruise.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Unfortunately you are putting your trust in the wrong person. I’m pretty sure that “Magik Bee” is the former “B Rizzles Mom” who was spoofing CC members before. Blocking appears to be the only solution to this problem.

Thanks, I will block again.

1 hour ago, FRMPEI said:

CONFIRMED!

This is the exact story you told us sitting at the World Class Bar aboard Silhouette. You were kind enough not to share this sheet! story with us while eating at the Lawn Club Grill. It was great to meet you. Too bad it was the last evening of our cruise.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Great meeting you guys - I agree - wished we had met sooner.  Be careful being on this thread - at times it stinks...

Read some of your blogs, great reviews..   Hopefully we'll meet on an upcoming cruise.  In the meantime say hi to Anne of Green Gables for me..:)

I generally stay out of this kind of contentious discussion since life is too short, but I do want to just give another side that hasn't been represented and then I will move on.

I am a fan of the Edge because I have studied everything about the ship that I can get my hands on for the last 2 years (believe it or not, I also work long hours and have a family and friends 🙂). I try to help inform people here about the shortcomings of the Edge or any ship I have sailed on so that they can make decisions for themselves, but I don't feel that I need to beat them over the head with it every day. I have talked about the odors that people have smelled (I didn't, though my DH talked to someone in Jan who had smelled a sewage -type odor at the RTG). I feel for the people who have had to experience it, especially in their own cabins. I am very interested to hear about what people have experienced with the odors and what is being done (as I said I try to learn everything I can about this ship), hence I've been following the thread.

I am all for people who have sailed on the Edge sharing their experiences so that we can learn and discuss what is causing it and what might be going on behind the scenes and also non-Edge cruisers who have insight and questions. I am happy that people who have actually experienced the odors are reporting it so that hopefully it will be fixed by the time I sail again. 

What is puzzling on this thread (and many other Edge threads post-launch) is the almost gleeful discovery of every Edge fault by some people.  I can understand better those who have sailed her and had a negative experience - it is only human to post negatively at every chance.  I guess I don't understand those who have never sailed on the Edge and have declared "I will never sail on the Edge" or "Thank goodness I didn't book the Edge" and sometimes imply (maybe unwittingly) that those who did sail on her and enjoyed their cruises are disingenuous or just not admitting to themselves that it's a failure or it's because of their cabin class - and they return day after day to repeat the same things (not saying they don't have the right to do it, just that I don't understand it 🙂). 

I feel sorry for those who are looking forward to sailing on her and have been so excited (and some booked 2 years ago) because they are being bombarded daily by people who seem to take great pleasure (for some reason beyond my comprehension) in announcing the latest "failure" and injecting drama into the issue and often inflating the importance of the problem (some of them - not saying this issue isn't important). Many of the issues that caused great angst among the early cruisers, future cruisers and non-Edge cruisers have been resolved. You could make a case that X reads these boards and may change things because of what is posted here so maybe any negative input is valuable, but my gut feeling is that they are listening mostly to those people who have actually sailed on the ship that they send the questionnaires to and the CC posts that are factual and balanced, as opposed to those posters who sound happy, and even excited, that a new problem was found (and interestingly, when someone posts about an Edge improvement or some positive experience on the Edge, many of these same people stay completely silent).

I am on the Celebrity Cruise Critic Forum because I like the brand and have had many wonderful cruises on Celebrity on M, S and E classes. When there is a fail on any of their ships, it makes me sad because I like the brand and want X to succeed so that I can continue sailing these ships. I want the Edge to succeed and really hope that X will continue to work on the issues of this new class of ship. I personally will continue discussing what we have learned about the ship so that we can help each other make good decisions and have some fun discussing our experiences and future cruises. I will continue to point out the issues as I see them and will also continue to be positive about all the of the good things on the Edge so that those of us who are booked can continue to look forward to our cruises (or potentially modify our our plans if we don't like what we see). 🙂

As for the odors on the Edge, I really respect @chengkp75 and his opinions, since he is an expert, and would bet that Celebrity is all over this issue (it seems ludicrous to think that they have reportedly moved whole areas of the ship for some cruises because of the odor, yet are supposedly just ignoring the problem). My feeling is that they are working on it furiously and will fix it eventually, no matter what it takes. It is unfortunate that guests have to deal with it in the meantime. 😞

from @chengkp75 (from early in this thread):

""Sewage" smells are not at all uncommon on cruise ships, and I would expect them more on new ships where the crew haven't located all the "hidden" drains.  This type of "comes and goes" and "traveling" (different spots at different times) odors is very indicative of the "dry trap" syndrome.  I've fought it for years, on every ship I've been on."

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cruise47 said:

We were on deck 9 AQ class AFT/ my wife has nose of a blood hound and she did not smell sewage in the AFT section of the ship during our seven (7) night cruise in February.

Sounds good for aft cabins.....we smelled it on 9 forward..on way to/ from the spa...and elsewhere..  No smells once we walked past the suite area ( with the hallway lIghts) We were just aft of that.   Maybe it migrates...no idea!

Hoping we do well in the SV cabin next fall!

47 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sounds good for aft cabins.....we smelled it on 9 forward..on way to/ from the spa...and elsewhere..  No smells once we walked past the suite area ( with the hallway lIghts) We were just aft of that.   Maybe it migrates...no idea!

Hoping we do well in the SV cabin next fall!

Only time I smelled it aft was at the Sunset Bar. But, OOF. 

On the cabin levels, it was predominantly at the fore of the ship (edit: posted sheeit at first - maybe a Freudian slip?).  

Edited by layingblames
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

from @chengkp75 (from early in this thread):

""Sewage" smells are not at all uncommon on cruise ships, and I would expect them more on new ships where the crew haven't located all the "hidden" drains.  This type of "comes and goes" and "traveling" (different spots at different times) odors is very indicative of the "dry trap" syndrome.  I've fought it for years, on every ship I've been on."

The dry trap is pretty common on other ships we have sailed and we learned about pouring water down the floor drain in the bathroom on another forum.  One morning I noticed water near the drain under our toilet after the room had been cleaned. If I had to guess our stateroom host dumped some water down it. 

I think i commented on someone else’s thread about it. Also glad to hear I wasn’t crazy when I thought I recognized a new poster. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, layingblames said:

Only time I smelled it aft was at the Sunset Bar. But, OOF. 

On the cabin levels, it was predominantly at the fore of the ship (edit: posted sheeit at first - maybe a Freudian slip?).  

It was definitely by the sunset bar port side by the bathrooms, and maybe once when we were randomly wandering the ships. We didn’t hang out at the martini bar so no clue on that. Since we have smelled the smell on other ships we didn’t give it much thought. In all honesty not sure how we should handle it in the future whenever we smell it, tell guest services or not. When a lady onboard asked we we smelled it, i flippantly said yes, but to us that was a common ship smell, I feel bad if it is not, but not sure what that says about Disney ships that are supposed to have a great reputation. 

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You have no idea of where I've cruised.  I don't feel the need to write a review of every cruise or list them in my signature.  

Sorry, I was surprised you booked and sailed in an IV cabin at extremely inflated prices after your many previous negative comments about the IVs before your cruise.  A bit off topic but now that you have been in an IV what are our thoughts about the IVs?  Also did you experience any sewer odors and where?  We’ll be on Edge on April 7th and want to know where we should avoid hanging out.

Again sorry that I assumed you had not been on the Edge, my bad.  Any helpful hints would be appreciated.  Katie

Sewerage smells have been on Celebrity ships from time to time for a long time. Its not a new phenomenon because of Edge or the way it was designed or built. It is most unfortunate, however, that with so much already unattractive aspects of this ship being reported, that this stinky poo is becoming a part of the fabric of her story. 

Agree with Vt Cruiser..there are definite EDGE haters out there who seem to want it to fail. There are also enthusiatic Edge cheerleaders too...esp the EDEN supporters.. who may be relatives or friends.

I believe EDGE will be a success.... many positives but also issues that hopefully can be corrected or adjusted. If EDGE is not for everyone there are other X ships being updated...and other cruise lines.

The smell issue has to be resolved, along with need for more shade and wind blocks...

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

Agree with Vt Cruiser..there are definite EDGE haters out there who seem to want it to fail. There are also enthusiatic Edge cheerleaders too...esp the EDEN supporters.. who may be relatives or friends.

I refrained!! But yes the EDEN characters were very interactive and cute!! I was very impressed with it both the show and the daytime as  well. I was able to unpack everything and put the suitcases away so our room stayed mostly neat and tidy the entire time with no weird smells!