Cruise Critic Community
azmay1

Carnival Mardi Gras Transatlantic September 9-23, 2020

Of course, I know the dates. I thought there was a pre cruise question on the spreadsheet.We’re vacationing in Britain before the cruise, using the cruise as a great way to return to the USA. We’ve done this about 6-7 times, no jet lag etc etc.

12 minutes ago, S148TOY said:

Of course, I know the dates. I thought there was a pre cruise question on the spreadsheet.We’re vacationing in Britain before the cruise, using the cruise as a great way to return to the USA. We’ve done this about 6-7 times, no jet lag etc etc.

Sorry I thought maybe you were on a different cruise and were on the wrong forum.

Sorry, thought I was helping.

19 minutes ago, AngelinaVP said:

Sorry I thought maybe you were on a different cruise and were on the wrong forum.

Sorry, thought I was helping.

Oh no worries 

On 9/14/2019 at 11:06 PM, lovetheallure said:

Bill and Laura from Ontario, CAN joining you on our first TA...we are so looking forward to this ship!

Hi Bill and Laura. We are fellow Canadians from Waterloo, Ontario. Looking forward to meeting you on board. This will be our 3rd TA. I am sure you will enjoy this,

On 9/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, jackandcathie said:

HI everyone, we are Jack and Cathie from Kitchener Ontario Canada.  This will be our seventh Transatlantic cruise.  I expect we will be bumping into some familiar faces on this cruise.  We are travelling with our friends Pat and Larry and are contemplating bring a couple of our adult children with us.  Our last T/A on a Carnival ship was on the Vista. 

Hi Jack and Cathie, We are your neighbours Norm and Brenda from Waterloo. This will be our 3rd TA. Looking forward to meeting you on this exciting adventure.

Well, I've gotten my flight from Las Vegas to London Gatwick booked.  Las Vegas to Calgary, Alberta to London on WestJet . Arriving In London on September 2nd, staying in a nice mini flat in Kensington then National Express bus from Victoria Station to Southampton on September 8th. I'm still looking at hotels for the one night In Southampton and  I'll book my flight home from New York as soon as the date is available. 

I've been in London several times, so let me know If anybody wants to meet up while we are there. See you all soon.

My Aunt and I are sailing on this cruise. First transatlantic for us. I have been looking at airline tickets and see that round trip tickets are so much cheaper than one way. Is there any laws or rules that say you cannot buy a roundtrip and not use the return portion when you are out of your country? Has anyone ever done this? It is such a huge difference it is worth trying it. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:15 PM, Doyle1042 said:

Well, I've gotten my flight from Las Vegas to London Gatwick booked.  Las Vegas to Calgary, Alberta to London on WestJet . Arriving In London on September 2nd, staying in a nice mini flat in Kensington then National Express bus from Victoria Station to Southampton on September 8th. I'm still looking at hotels for the one night In Southampton and  I'll book my flight home from New York as soon as the date is available. 

I've been in London several times, so let me know If anybody wants to meet up while we are there. See you all soon.

What is the best airport to fly into there. We will be leaving from New York or Boston.  We have never been there so no idea where to stay when we get there. 

19 minutes ago, CaseyAnn said:

What is the best airport to fly into there. We will be leaving from New York or Boston.  We have never been there so no idea where to stay when we get there. 

London Heathrow (LHR) or London Gatwick (LGW) are the two big London Airports.  About the same distance from London center.   When you search for flights just put London (all airports) into your search as destination.   I usually fly Delta into Heathrow,  but fot this trip am flying into Gatwick.   Both are used by big international airlines.

London has hundreds (maybe thousands) of hotels .  Just get something near a tube station and you will be fine.

46 minutes ago, CaseyAnn said:

My Aunt and I are sailing on this cruise. First transatlantic for us. I have been looking at airline tickets and see that round trip tickets are so much cheaper than one way. Is there any laws or rules that say you cannot buy a roundtrip and not use the return portion when you are out of your country? Has anyone ever done this? It is such a huge difference it is worth trying it. 

I just found one way flights from Boston to London Gatwick on WestJet Premium Class that includes two free checked bags per passenger for about $585 each.

3 hours ago, CaseyAnn said:

I don't believe there are any laws against not using the rest of your ticket, but have you really fond a round-trip ticket that is cheaper than a one-way ticket? I can understand that you might find a round-trip ticket where if you divide the price in half, that each half is cheaper than just a one way ticket. But is the entire round-trip ticket cheaper than the one way ticket? None of the airlines I use price round-trip cheaper than two one-way tickets. I'll be flying in on Norwegian airlines for this cruise if they are still in business then. They have one way flights from Los Angeles for under $200 per person. I think from New York they have flights even cheaper, maybe closer to $100 per person. If you have found some other airline that has very inexpensive round-trip tickets, let us know what that airline is. I'd give a shot at going for a round-trip ticket and throwing away the return trip. Actually, if I could book the round-trip out far enough I might use it. My wife and I usually go to London at least once each year.

8 hours ago, CaseyAnn said:

We bought 1 way out of JFK for $609 and that was business class on Norwegian Air. You can get non business class for as low as $285 before you add extras on and of course every price in between on them. 

edited - Sorry, I just remembered that flight is into Paris as we are going there for a couple days then taken the EuroStar to London. But still check Norwegian Air - very cheap and they fly out of JFK

Edited by tlreze

Any idea when Spa reservations will be available? I am hoping to get thermal suite passes 

2 hours ago, tlreze said:

We bought 1 way out of JFK for $609 and that was business class on Norwegian Air. You can get non business class for as low as $285 before you add extras on and of course every price in between on them. 

edited - Sorry, I just remembered that flight is into Paris as we are going there for a couple days then taken the EuroStar to London. But still check Norwegian Air - very cheap and they fly out of JFK

We got $300 from Los Angeles to London with picking our seats, one checked bag and 2 hot meals on Norwegian in regular coach plus priority boarding. 

18 hours ago, CaseyAnn said:

14 hours ago, CruiseRookieSteve said:

I don't believe there are any laws against not using the rest of your ticket, but have you really fond a round-trip ticket that is cheaper than a one-way ticket? I can understand that you might find a round-trip ticket where if you divide the price in half, that each half is cheaper than just a one way ticket. But is the entire round-trip ticket cheaper than the one way ticket? None of the airlines I use price round-trip cheaper than two one-way tickets. I'll be flying in on Norwegian airlines for this cruise if they are still in business then. They have one way flights from Los Angeles for under $200 per person. I think from New York they have flights even cheaper, maybe closer to $100 per person. If you have found some other airline that has very inexpensive round-trip tickets, let us know what that airline is. I'd give a shot at going for a round-trip ticket and throwing away the return trip. Actually, if I could book the round-trip out far enough I might use it. My wife and I usually go to London at least once each year.

Something to keep in mind is what airlines do call "throwaway ticketing."  It violates airline rules of carriage and some airlines indeed punish passengers who use this practice repeatedly.  It's doing exactly what you suggest of buying a ticket with the intention of not using one or more of the legs.  You can google this topic and find all sorts of information on it.  I'm certainly not an expert in the subject and never have tried to do this.  The consensus from what I can see is that airlines generally don't crack down on this unless they see a pattern of abuse.  But, nevertheless, I wanted to bring up the topic so you could be informed in making your decision.

CruiseRookieStev - Norwegian Air is confusing for luggage. For check in is the total weight included per bag  20kg and then you pay extra for everything over 20kg?  So if I check the standard 50lb bag I would have to pay approx $45  since 50lbs = 22.6 kg? I get 2 bags but each bag has the 20kg limit before extra fees apply? Am I understanding that correct?  And the carry on bag size is smaller than standard as well I think. Since you have used them a lot, hoping you can help me out here. Thanks in advance

Edited by tlreze

20 minutes ago, tlreze said:

CruiseRookieStev - Norwegian Air is confusing for luggage. For check in is the total weight included per bag  20kg and then you pay extra for everything over 20kg?  So if I check the standard 50lb bag I would have to pay approx $45  since 50lbs = 22.6 kg? I get 2 bags but each bag has the 20kg limit before extra fees apply? Am I understanding that correct?  And the carry on bag size is smaller than standard as well I think. Since you have used them a lot, hoping you can help me out here. Thanks in advance

your carry on luggage weight should be 22lbs and your check luggage should be 44lbs if any one is over weight you pay extra if you don't have one I would invest in a luggage scale.

4 hours ago, tlreze said:

20kg equals 44 pounds, so it is only 6 pounds less than the standard 50lb allowance. The non-stop price from Los Angels to London and most places in Europe is usually $199. But, they have a package for an additional $100 that includes one 44lb checked bag, 2 hot meals, priority boarding, and you get to pick your seat. We always pay that extra $100. If purchased separately those items would add up to about $150. All of their long haul planes are Dreamlines so they have really nice interiors with enough leg room for my wife and I. But we are both under 5'7" so don't have the leg room problems that some others find in regular coach. Norwegian has non-stop seatback live video with a huge library of free movies. You can also all sorts of snacks and beverages right on the screen at your seat by swiping your credit card. But order early in the flight as they run out of the best snack selections early. Just be prepared for chaos at boarding time. At some locations they seem to forget that some people have priority boarding and it is just one big mess. But you can get to the front if you have priority boarding and ask about it. We like Norwegian mostly because we can get non-stop to the UK and Europe at a very reasonable price. Getting a non-stop on most other airlines out of Los Angeles costs hundreds, and sometimes thousands more, even in regular coach. If you want to pay about $1000, Norwegian does have a Premium Class with better seats and more benefits. People that have opted for that on Norwegian said it was really nice and as good as Business Class on other airlines they've flown.

11 hours ago, CruiseRookieSteve said:

20kg equals 44 pounds, so it is only 6 pounds less than the standard 50lb allowance. The non-stop price from Los Angels to London and most places in Europe is usually $199. But, they have a package for an additional $100 that includes one 44lb checked bag, 2 hot meals, priority boarding, and you get to pick your seat. We always pay that extra $100. If purchased separately those items would add up to about $150. All of their long haul planes are Dreamlines so they have really nice interiors with enough leg room for my wife and I. But we are both under 5'7" so don't have the leg room problems that some others find in regular coach. Norwegian has non-stop seatback live video with a huge library of free movies. You can also all sorts of snacks and beverages right on the screen at your seat by swiping your credit card. But order early in the flight as they run out of the best snack selections early. Just be prepared for chaos at boarding time. At some locations they seem to forget that some people have priority boarding and it is just one big mess. But you can get to the front if you have priority boarding and ask about it. We like Norwegian mostly because we can get non-stop to the UK and Europe at a very reasonable price. Getting a non-stop on most other airlines out of Los Angeles costs hundreds, and sometimes thousands more, even in regular coach. If you want to pay about $1000, Norwegian does have a Premium Class with better seats and more benefits. People that have opted for that on Norwegian said it was really nice and as good as Business Class on other airlines they've flown.

This will be my second flight on Norwegian first was last year for the Horizon and I booked my flight the first day they open and got the seat for a basinet a lot of leg room, and for the Mardi Gras I booked premium seating on day of opening no charge now those seats are $50 so it pays to book early.

I am very dissapointed in Carnival's shore ex department. STILL no shore ex for Canary Islands or Funchal. It's not like a Carnival Corp ship hasn't gone to these places in the past. I have been to all of these ports on a Holland America and/or a Princess transatlantic cruise.  I would imagine there are the same vendors that other Carnival Corp ships have used. The shore ex people need to get on the ball and release some shore excursions!  

On 9/15/2019 at 9:27 AM, mjlajames said:

We're from Ontario also.(London)  Our first trans-Atlantic too. Can't wait.

Hello Canadian friend. We are Norm & Brenda from Waterloo, Ontario. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

We are flying out of SW Florida for this TA. Is anyone else coming from this location? The one way flights to Europe are significantly cheaper on the 9th, the day the ship departs. However, we want to arrive 2-3 days prior and it seems much more expensive. Has anyone purchased their one way tickets yet? If so, from what airport in Fl to what airport in EU?

Check with Carnival for Fly2Fun air!  I just booked from ATL-LHR-LGA-ATL for my wife and I for less than the best rate available just for one of us for the one way to LHR, and NYC to ATL!! We are going in a few days ahead, but still better than I could get on my own using several of the sites. 

5 hours ago, LoveTheBoats said:

Check with Carnival for Fly2Fun air!  I just booked from ATL-LHR-LGA-ATL for my wife and I for less than the best rate available just for one of us for the one way to LHR, and NYC to ATL!! We are going in a few days ahead, but still better than I could get on my own using several of the sites. 

I agree.  We are doing Back2Back and Carnival Air is taking us to Copenhagen and then home from NYC.

Best price we found.  If you are flying First Class, they don't do that, but Economy they can.

Greetings from Canada Eh!

I haven't read all of the posts, but I see we have neighbors on this cruise.  We are from just outside of London, Ontario.

Just booked this cruise today.  First TA for us.  So excited...

We are going on the Legend this weekend; so trying to focus on that cruise for now....lol