Cruise Critic Community
azmay1

Carnival Mardi Gras Transatlantic September 9-23, 2020

We booked this and it will be our first TA and  our first B2B,,, going on the Mardi Gras , 9 days Copenhagen to London first.

This is a dream cruise for us

I am IN!! I booked the day the cruise opened for bookings. I can't wait to go and to meet all of you!

Has anybody started a spreadsheet yet?

Jennifer 

New Hampshire, USA

2 hours ago, Lv2bmovin said:

We booked this and it will be our first TA and  our first B2B,,, going on the Mardi Gras , 9 days Copenhagen to London first.

This is a dream cruise for us

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

3 minutes ago, azmay1 said:

I remember you. It will be nice to see you. I have the spreadsheet created. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1deKC_MDPrxwtOEBZL9Sp9c5F9xKm_-kNG-JxD_J7s_A/edit?usp=sharing

Carol

Oh CAROL!

You are awesome and right on the ball.  Thanks for doing it. I  look forward to seeing you again.Jennifer

Hi all! I just sent an email to our travel agent to book this cruise for us (husband and I from Hamburg)! First TA cruise for us and first time in NY, we plan to stay a couple of days after the cruise. 

We know Southampton (at least the cruise port 😉), Las Palmas, Sta. Cruz and Madeira. Azores is new to us. 

We never had these many sea days in a row. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Edited by puschi1906

12 hours ago, tree.critter said:

Some great info, thank you!  I think the 8+ hours cramped in coach class with our long legs and aging bodies is the part I hope to get through without too much whining on my part.  Have been browsing at air transport and the Norwegian line definitely seems to be the go to for value.  I did stumble a bit trying to figure out their baggage fees and if carryon baggage was included in the current fare schedule.  This will be my first time ever flying out of the country.

My wife and I are both only about 5'6" so we fit into the Coach Class Seats just fine but I do have friends that are over 6' and they always have to fly either Business or First Class on long flights to avoid being squished into the airline seats for so many hours. Norwegian Air Shuttle has a Premium Cabin that is like Business Class on other airlines. It does give you a lot more leg room. The Premium Cabin includes 2 checked bags and meals. It tends to cost about $500 more than the LowFare Coach Seats per person per flight but is usually way less than Business Class on other airlines. All their tickets include 1 carry-on bag (10kg). They also fly non-stop to Barcelona, Spain, which is great as many Mediterranean and some of the Transatlantic trips depart from Barcelona. Many of our cruises start with a flight on Norwegian Air Shuttle as this one will probably.

2 hours ago, azmay1 said:

I remember you. It will be nice to see you. I have the spreadsheet created. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1deKC_MDPrxwtOEBZL9Sp9c5F9xKm_-kNG-JxD_J7s_A/edit?usp=sharing

Carol

Thanks for the Google Sheets link. I'm not sure how to send you our info so I'm just posting it here: # in cabin: 2, Name: Steve and Barbara, CC name: CruiseRookiesCom, Cabin #: 5248, Standard Balcony, No Kids, Your Time Dining, From Vancouver, Washington (WA), Meet and Greet: Y. I would appreciate it if you could ad us to the spreadsheet. Thanks!

We are looking at this TA cruise, but have not booked yet. For folks flying into London, how are you getting to Southampton?

Thanks,

Mark

4 hours ago, puschi1906 said:

Hi all! I just sent an email to our travel agent to book this cruise for us (husband and I from Hamburg)! First TA cruise for us and first time in NY, we plan to stay a couple of days after the cruise. 

We know Southampton (at least the cruise port 😉), Las Palmas, Sta. Cruz and Madeira. Azores is new to us. 

We never had these many sea days in a row. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome to Roll Call. I have been to all the ports before.

Carol

4 hours ago, CruiseRookiesCom said:

Thanks for the Google Sheets link. I'm not sure how to send you our info so I'm just posting it here: # in cabin: 2, Name: Steve and Barbara, CC name: CruiseRookiesCom, Cabin #: 5248, Standard Balcony, No Kids, Your Time Dining, From Vancouver, Washington (WA), Meet and Greet: Y. I would appreciate it if you could ad us to the spreadsheet. Thanks!

I added your information.

Carol

Hello everyone!  We just booked the TA today!  We are on the Inaugural with our hubbies but sending them home afterwards and friend Susan and I staying on.  Our first TA!

Melody

17 minutes ago, caribnsnrklr said:

Hello everyone!  We just booked the TA today!  We are on the Inaugural with our hubbies but sending them home afterwards and friend Susan and I staying on.  Our first TA!

Melody

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

5 hours ago, smithmmark said:

We are looking at this TA cruise, but have not booked yet. For folks flying into London, how are you getting to Southampton?

Thanks,

Mark

There is a website that shows just about every option of getting to / from the Southampton Cruise Terminal from either central London or the airport at: https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm  . They show info and cost for bus, train, private car, bus shuttle, etc.  We've opted to go with a private car service whenever we've done past cruises. Though a bit more expensive than the others methods, it is way more convenient. It is a pretty long ride from Central London or the airport to Southampton. I think it is about a 2 hour ride or so. Maybe before this trip that is a bit of a way off some of us on CC that are staying in Central London could get our own shared van together to pick each of us up at our own hotels. 

3 hours ago, azmay1 said:

I added your information.

Carol

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting everyone on the cruise. I'm sure the list will grow as it is still quite a ways away.

Thanks,

Mark

It depends on the airport we're flying into. From Heathrow we used the National Express Bus a few times. From the central bus station in Southampton we take a cab to the terminal. 

From Gatwick we took a train to Southampton and then a cab. 

We don't have small kids or mobility issues, so bus and train work just fine for us. And it is only a 1,5 hours flight to London for us.

Thanks,

Mark

It depends on the airport we're flying into. From Heathrow we used the National Express Bus a few times. From the central bus station in Southampton we take a cab to the terminal. 

From Gatwick we took a train to Southampton and then a cab. 

We don't have small kids or mobility issues, so bus and train work just fine for us. And it is only a 1,5 hours flight to London for us.

14 hours ago, smithmmark said:

Thanks,

Mark

I will stay overnight at a Heathrow hotel and take the Carnival bus transfer to the ship on sailing day.

6 hours ago, Cruising Ginger said:

I will stay overnight at a Heathrow hotel and take the Carnival bus transfer to the ship on sailing day.

hi  do you know if carnival has a transfer from Gatwick as well as heathrow??? 

Unfortunately, I have had to cancel this cruise.  There is a family occasion conflicting with these dates.  The good thing is that I will be able to cruise to Cuba a month earlier.  Cuba is on my bucket list.  And it's 9 days out of New York!

Joyce

16 hours ago, warcon said:

hi  do you know if carnival has a transfer from Gatwick as well as heathrow??? 

Most likely but you will have to check with them directly.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, azmay1 said:

Welcome to Roll Call.

Carol

Thank you!  We are very excited to be going.  We both have our "first" suites too on both inaugural and transatlantic.  Friend Susan saved her room which is next to ours so the move for me should be minimal.  I am hoping all the sea days don't get to us lol but hopefully being in bigger room will help.  I am leaving for a trip to Europe in less than two months and we end up in London between flights for a 10 hour layover (airline changed our flight).  Was hoping someone on here who has been to London Heathrow could tell me what the best sites to see in short time since we are looking at taking the tube during layover from airport.  Thanks  Melody.

Hi all!  My hubby and I are booked on this and the Inaugural . . . our third B2B and second TA.  We were on the Horizon TA with a lot of you as well.  Two 50-somethings from Washington State.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:21 PM, CruiseRookiesCom said:

My wife and I are both only about 5'6" so we fit into the Coach Class Seats just fine but I do have friends that are over 6' and they always have to fly either Business or First Class on long flights to avoid being squished into the airline seats for so many hours. Norwegian Air Shuttle has a Premium Cabin that is like Business Class on other airlines. It does give you a lot more leg room. The Premium Cabin includes 2 checked bags and meals. It tends to cost about $500 more than the LowFare Coach Seats per person per flight but is usually way less than Business Class on other airlines. All their tickets include 1 carry-on bag (10kg). They also fly non-stop to Barcelona, Spain, which is great as many Mediterranean and some of the Transatlantic trips depart from Barcelona. Many of our cruises start with a flight on Norwegian Air Shuttle as this one will probably.

you should watch the financial situation of Norwegian in the next months as they struggle with problems right now. 

We have used them quite often, but never for long distance. They have good prices for one way flights from New York back to Germany, I hope they still offer it next year in September 😃