Cruise Critic Community
azmay1

Carnival Mardi Gras Transatlantic September 9-23, 2020

6 minutes ago, teacher34 said:

Hello, everyone ! I just booked this TA and I am on the waiting list for the first European segment. This will be my first time cruising as a solo, but my husband can’t get anymore time off work. Together we are doing the TA from NY to Dover in early June. I am a bit nervous about sailing solo. Does anyone have experience doing that ?

I was just looking, there is available interior and ocean view staterooms for the Copenhagen to Southampton cruise.

Thank you ! I will call Carnival right away. I would be satisfied with an ocean view , although we always have a balcony when we cruise the Caribbean .

Thank you so much ! I just got that ocean view cabin on the European segment ! Now I am back to back on the Mardi Gras , doing the European part on Aug. 31 to South Hampton and then back to NY. I am excited ! Is anyone else doing it solo?

Hello All!

DH and I booked this TA 2/1/19 but just getting around to joining this Roll Call.  We sailed on the original Mardi Gras in 1982 when you had to use a community room to curl your hair as there were NO electric outlets in the cabins!!  Do you think this new version will be better?????  HAHA

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 7:53 AM, LoveTheBoats said:

They are going to service both airports for this cruise!

Shuttle Options.jpg

Can you tell me where to find this? 

Thank you!

update: I found it!

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

My husband and I booked a Havana Cabana on the Mardis Gras. It will be for my 40th bday. I wanted one of those Loft 19 suites, but they were sold put.  I am so excited!!!! I have never done a Transatlantic before but have been to Europe several times.

(Still trying to decide whether to pull the kids out of school or leave them with relatives. Have not booked them yet.)

My husband and I booked a Havana Cabana on the Mardis Gras. It will be for my 40th bday. I wanted one of those Loft 19 suites, but they were sold put.  I am so excited!!!! I have never done a Transatlantic before but have been to Europe several times.

(Still trying to decide whether to pull the kids out of school or leave them with relatives. Have not booked them yet.)

We are just going on the Transatlantic and not the European.  My husband is a 44 year old physician and I am a 38 year old former commercial litigation attorney who has been staying home with kids and writing for 2-3 years. We have two boys. We live in Houston, Texas.  This will be my first Transatlantic or European cruise. All prior ones have been out of Galveston, Florida or New Orleans and Carribean, Mexico or Bahamas. 

have you checked to see if you have enough room in your cabin or if you can add them to your cabin we booked the Havana Cabana cabin on the Horizon last year and no room for additional family. Plus the cruise may be booked I know cancellation occur so check with Carnival before you make a decision.

12 minutes ago, telebax51 said:

have you checked to see if you have enough room in your cabin or if you can add them to your cabin we booked the Havana Cabana cabin on the Horizon last year and no room for additional family. Plus the cruise may be booked I know cancellation occur so check with Carnival before you make a decision.

If they come, I will put them in their own cabin with a nanny.  There are still many three person cabins open. 

Honestly, it will probably be too much time away from school at the beginning of the school year. They go to private school and it's competitive.  It would be an amazing experience for them, but I am pretty sure their school would not be ok with them missing two weeks to go on a cruise.

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

If they come, I will put them in their own cabin with a nanny.  There are still many three person cabins open. 

Honestly, it will probably be too much time away from school at the beginning of the school year. They go to private school and it's competitive.  It would be an amazing experience for them, but I am pretty sure their school would not be ok with them missing two weeks to go on a cruise.

I understand we took our 2 younger kids 9 and 10 out of school for a month 1994 to visit their older brother in Germany they had no problem as long as the assignments they gave them was completed and to keep a diary of their journey when they got back they made a presentation to the class about their vacation one of our best vacation.

48 minutes ago, telebax51 said:

I understand we took our 2 younger kids 9 and 10 out of school for a month 1994 to visit their older brother in Germany they had no problem as long as the assignments they gave them was completed and to keep a diary of their journey when they got back they made a presentation to the class about their vacation one of our best vacation.

Oh, wow!  That's a good idea. I may ask them about doing something like that--especially since it is a private school I would hope they would be more likely to work with us than a public school would be. I think they would get a lot out of the experience.  I would really like to take them to England ahead of time. I have been all over England as I wrote a book on Elizabeth of York...thus, I've been to Leicester, Bosworth Field, Eltham Palace, and many of the places she or Henry VII frequented during their lives. I also went to where my ancestors were originally from and would love to take them to see these places now that they are old enough to appreciate them. My husband, even though he was born in Michigan, is by descent British. He did a DNA test and it came back as 97% British...unfortunately, we don't know nearly as much about his ancestors. 

I hope your vacation works out the way you want give it a try with the school.

Posted (edited)

Just booked this TA cruise and we are so excited as we've never done a crossing before.  So, not sure of what to expect but really looking forward to cruising into NYC harbor and spending some quality time on what looks to be a really exciting new ship.  We've done several inaugural European Carnival cruises for the Splendor, Magic, Vista, and Horizon that were all excellent trips with the best staff.

Going to be on deck 15 forward in a balcony stateroom on the starboard side.  Looking at the deck plans, it looks like Carnival is really mixing this up with a whole new approach.  One thing I seem to notice is that there appears to be only one MDR (Palm Restaurant) on decks 6 and 7?  Am I missing something?  Maybe since there are so many other dining options on board they don't feel they need the dual, large MDR's of other ships?

Edited by RoadTravelled

13 hours ago, RoadTravelled said:

One thing I seem to notice is that there appears to be only one MDR (Palm Restaurant) on decks 6 and 7?  Am I missing something?

The Flamingo Restaurant on Deck 6 is the other MDR. 

356B98CC-667D-4D0B-97D2-76CFB91D043D.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CruisinChandler said:

The Flamingo Restaurant on Deck 6 is the other MDR. 

Oh, I totally missed that!  Thanks for the graphic.  That still seems like not a lot of MDR space for 5,200 passengers.  And, that may explain why when we booked a couple of weeks ago there were no more spaces left for the early dining option?  But, maybe I'm just overthinking it.  We'll see once we are on board.  Really looking forward to seeing this ship.

Edited by RoadTravelled

We are booked on this cruise in a Havana Cabana.  Will be doing Inaugural 8/31 and B2B Transatlantic.  I have never been to Europe before so it is very exciting for me.  We are thinking about spending a week or so before the inaugural cruise in Barcelona, Paris and Venice.  If anybody has good info about hotels, flights within Europe let me know.  I would appreciate the info.

2 hours ago, jmdenver said:

We are booked on this cruise in a Havana Cabana.  Will be doing Inaugural 8/31 and B2B Transatlantic.  I have never been to Europe before so it is very exciting for me.  We are thinking about spending a week or so before the inaugural cruise in Barcelona, Paris and Venice.  If anybody has good info about hotels, flights within Europe let me know.  I would appreciate the info.

In Barcelona last year we stayed at Hotel Europark and in Paris it's been awhile but we stayed at Hotel Mercure haven't done Venice yet.

7 hours ago, jmdenver said:

We are thinking about spending a week or so before the inaugural cruise in Barcelona, Paris and Venice.  If anybody has good info about hotels, flights within Europe let me know.  I would appreciate the info.

It's been several years, but we enjoyed our stay at the Hesperia Barcelona Ramblas hotel.  It's a 3-star hotel with a modern, chic décor and well located just steps from the bustling La Rambla with it's sidewalk cafes, shops, restaurants, street vendors, kiosks, and people watching galore, in addition to the famous Boqueria Market just a block behind the hotel. There's a metro station nearby that allows you to visit the sights and is near the Gothic quarter (the old city) as well.  As I recall, it was fairly reasonably priced also.

In Vienna and Paris we stayed in apartments, so can't recommend hotels there.

Since you've never been to Europe before, may I make a recommendation that I hope you will not mind.  Given that you are going to need to catch the cruise in Copenhagen, that means you will be covering 4 cities in about a week.  You will therefore be spending half of your time, getting to/from the airports, traveling to/from each city, eating up a lot of time, and getting weary.  Venice, Paris, and Barcelona are huge cities with an incredible amount of things you will want to experience.  Each one of them easily could take 3-4 days to see the highlights and get a sense of the culture.  And, they aren't going anywhere.

So, you might consider doing just 1 of the 3 cities instead then head to Copenhagen to visit sights there before the cruise starts.  That will give you just another reason to come back to Europe another year!!  LOL.  And, I think you will appreciate the trip more.  But, again, that's just my opinion for what it's worth.  Hope that helps.

Howdy From Texas!

We signed up for this cruise this past weekend and are looking forward to it.  Will try to get through all the posts over the next few days.  Interested in a Meet and Greet if one is being planned.

We will arrive in Europe early August. Will be doing the Oberammergau Passion Play followed by a river cruise to Budapest. 

We have cruised quite a bit with Princess, but this will be our first Carnival cruise.  Anything we need to know or signup for beforehand?

Thanks!

Lanee (Aggie-Mom) and Billy

11 hours ago, Aggie-Mom said:

Howdy From Texas!

We signed up for this cruise this past weekend and are looking forward to it.  Will try to get through all the posts over the next few days.  Interested in a Meet and Greet if one is being planned.

We will arrive in Europe early August. Will be doing the Oberammergau Passion Play followed by a river cruise to Budapest. 

We have cruised quite a bit with Princess, but this will be our first Carnival cruise.  Anything we need to know or signup for beforehand?

Thanks!

Lanee (Aggie-Mom) and Billy

We are from Texas, too!  

Have you ever done a Fjords cruise? I am wanting to do one but not sure which one to book.

13 hours ago, Aggie-Mom said:

Interested in a Meet and Greet if one is being planned.

From Texas as well!  Looks like we will have a good representation from the state. 

There is indeed a Mix and Mingle scheduled for this TA leg.  Scroll back to the top of this forum page and you will see the 2nd sub-heading under it in blue with the link to "Mix and Mingle."  Then just follow the prompts to choose the cruise line, the ship, and the sailing date.  Last time I looked there were already 59 people signed-up (25 is the minimum to have the event) and we are still more than a year away!

14 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

We are from Texas, too!  

Have you ever done a Fjords cruise? I am wanting to do one but not sure which one to book.

We have not - our first Fjords cruise as well.  Definitely looking forward to it!