Cruise Critic Community
dchoney

Mardi Gras Repositioning 15- Day Southern Caribbean September 30, 2020

We are in Northern Illinois now, but are looking to move to the Alabama coast. Back to warm weather. We also have done a few cruises with 5 ports in a row. They do get a little exhausting. We get off at all ports, sometimes we do an excursion  and sometimes just wander the port. The sea days are a nice break, just to recharge the batteries.
We also occasionally stay on ship, pool and hot tubs will be empty. Especially if we been to that port several times. It's more relaxing and saves a little cash buying more souvenirs and t-shirts we don't really need. We have abundance of souvenir island and Harley Davidson shirts. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DaisyGirl55 said:

Thanks skrufy for letting me know about the dinner attire.  Living in Florida, we generally drive to the port so there isn't much of an issue regarding packing.  Flying to the port, plus the additional days sailing may provide a bit of a challenge to packing.  But I know that I am up to that particular challenge! At least I have cruised enough to realize I don't need several outfits each day, and that it is okay to wear something more than once!  LOL

For a cruise that is this long, do you know how many dressy nights there are?  And are there any theme nights on a Journeys cruise?  Thanks!

We do only 10 day or longer cruises now unless one comes up that can’t be missed. Gained platinum status a few years ago and it sure does cut down on packing. The free laundry is a savior. I don’t remember how many elegant nights there are, it might be three.  The only theme I can remember is the 80s throwback day. There was a midnight buffet, glow party, and deck parties at night. 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, DaisyGirl55 said:

My longest cruise so far has been 8 nights.  Sometimes they can be very port intensive, so I have learned to pace myself and stay on the ship when in port to break up the pace.  Last thing I want to do is get off the ship absolutely exhausted.

I am looking at the itinerary and seeing 5 ports in a row, a sea day, then 2 more, another sea day, then Grand Turk.  For those of you that have done a cruise like this, do you also pace yourself or do you get off the ship in every port and rest on the sea days?

We've done a few longer cruises.  Hawaii was 4 sea days, then 5 ports, then 4 more sea days, then Ensenada.  We tried to vary our tours as far as exhausting to more chilled out.  For this Mardi Gras cruise we will most likely:

Amber Cove is a stop where we will just hang out at the pool area

San Juan has a free trolley & with a military ID or National parks Pass you can tour the fort for free.

St Thomas is beautiful, been here many times, so we will just catch an easy sight seeing tour

St Maarten- we've only been here 1 other time so will most likely do an excursion

St Kitts- we will do an excursion here also

Then take it very easy on this next sea day.

Aruba & Curacao we will probably do excursions

Sea day- rest again

Grand Turk is another place that has a nice pool, shopping area right as you get off the ship, so we will most likely hang out at Margaritaville (pool area) or nearby free beach.

So my advise is to look at tours Carnival or other sources are offering, then kind of mix it up as far as level of activity.  Bus sight seeing tours are less strenuous, so we do those frequently.  We rarely stay on the ship, there is usually something within easy walking distance things to do or see.  If you've been to any of the ports before- take it easy on those days.  Any new ports, we usually do some kind of bus tour to get a feel for that port.  Hope this helps.  The thing I love most about cruising is you can do/see as much or as little as your energy allows.  There is always next time to catch what you missed.

LOL Yeah, we have a long wait ahead.  I think most of us have other cruises in the meantime.  Happy sailing to everyone.

Hello everyone! I will be on this cruise with my husband Matt. We are from Pittsburgh, PA. This will be the longest cruise we have ever done. But we have done a 10 day before but we just couldn’t beat the price! And being a Mega ship! We have been on a mega class ship before (Oasis of the seas) so I’m excited to see Carnivals take on the big boys! Anxiously awaiting for this year to pass by! 

Hello everyone! I will be on this cruise with my husband Matt. We are from Pittsburgh, PA. This will be the longest cruise we have ever done. But we have done a 10 day before but we just couldn’t beat the price! And being a Mega ship! We have been on a mega class ship before (Oasis of the seas) so I’m excited to see Carnivals take on the big boys! Anxiously awaiting for this year to pass by! 
Hi we are also from Pittsburgh PA and this will be our longest cruise. I am also a nurse but retired.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cassandra here going with just my son.  We are in a Havana Suite.  Can’t wait!  

On 2/1/2019 at 2:39 AM, Morebeer said:

Hi. Rich and Linda from Scottsdale, Az. Booked this 15 day cruise out of New York on the new Mardi Gras ship today. Booked a Jr Balcony room on deck 11. Think this will be our 3 or 4th Journeys cruise all have been great so far. Only wish it wasn't so far off.

Hi Everyone,

My sister Donna and I will be cruising on this itinerary, we are on deck 11. This will be our 3rd Journey cruise. We can't wait to meet everyone.

Welcome to all the new posters.  Yeah we've got a long wait for this cruise.  

Our Nov 2019 Breeze journeys cruise has many of the same ports as this one.  So if we like our tours, we will rebook them for this cruise.  Only port we haven't been to in years is St Maarten.   

Is this ship going to be comparable to the Oasis class?  I wonder.  We are also looking forward to meeting everyone.  This will be our 3rd journeys cruise, but not our longest.  We did a 19 day with HAL a couple of yrs ago.  Love the longer cruises.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:25 AM, dchoney said:

I'm so excited that I just booked my first 15-Day Cruise on Carnival's newest ship! We are leaving New York on September 30th and visiting some amazing ports! Who else booked this cruise! Can't wait!!!

IMG_0856.jpg

I have never been so excited about a cruise as I am with this one. It will be my husband and myself. It is our first balcony and we turn platinum on this cruise so its extra special to us. Also our very first 15 day cruise and re positioning cruise. :)

Hi am excited too be booked on this cruise will be my second Journey cruise.It will be my 20th cruise with Carnival if it aint broke don't fix it is what I say

Hello everyone we are from TN. This is our first re-positioning cruise and we are extremely excited about it.  Can not wait to experience this cruise with everyone!

This will be our 3rd Journey cruise & our 2nd repositioning cruise.  I love this itinerary.  We are excited for this new ship too.  We will all have 3 wonderful sea days to figure out the layout of the ship.  I think we should plan a meet & greet for 1 of those sea days.  Maybe a slot pull & cabin crawl too.  Happy planning

So excited for this cruise we can't wait we booked a havana inside cabin wanted at havana balcony but they were sold out. It seemed like this cruise was popular and booked early.  I have a question I have done many cruises but never gotten travel insurance and been lucky and never needed it or needed to cancel.  But due to we are getting older I'm think about it for this cruise.  Should I go with carnivals insurance or can anyone give my some suggests on insurance company's and whats important to look at.

24 minutes ago, Sue1260 said:

So excited for this cruise we can't wait we booked a havana inside cabin wanted at havana balcony but they were sold out. It seemed like this cruise was popular and booked early.  I have a question I have done many cruises but never gotten travel insurance and been lucky and never needed it or needed to cancel.  But due to we are getting older I'm think about it for this cruise.  Should I go with carnivals insurance or can anyone give my some suggests on insurance company's and whats important to look at.

I have breast cancer, which is stable for now...but since I never know when it will rear it's ugly head I never book a trip without travel insurance.  I usually do it through my TA.  It covers me if I need to cancel my trip, if I need transportation back to the states, or any medical issues that may arise.  Of course it has the standard stuff too:  trip interruption, lost luggage and so forth.  We never used to take the insurance, but with a trip this expensive plus the air fare I don't think it is a bad thing.  I'd rather have the insurance and not need it than not have it and need it.

So excited over this cruise! We will turn Platinum and have our first balcony on this. Not to mention the ship is going to be amazing!!! :)

So sorry to hear about your breast cancer, I pray it stays stable.  I have never used a TA I always book directly on Carnival's website.  I may just use the insurance carnival offers.

7 hours ago, Sue1260 said:

So sorry to hear about your breast cancer, I pray it stays stable.  I have never used a TA I always book directly on Carnival's website.  I may just use the insurance carnival offers.

We are in the same situation with possible medical issues popping up. The last few cruises and all in the future we will buy travel insurance.

I suggest checking out insuremytrip dot com. There you can check out multiple quotes from many different insurers based on the coverages you need. For us medical evacuation is most important. 😎

🤗 This photo from the shipyard is making me very happy 🤗

Pics-Art-08-28-10-21-46.jpg

🤗            🤗            🤗            🤗            🤗            🤗            🤗            🤗            🤗   

On 8/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Sue1260 said:

I always buy travel insurance.  You can go to insuremytrip.com and choose specifics for insurance you want.  There are lots of companies to compare on that site.  I have bought Nationwide through them and bought Nationwide on their web site.

With Nationwide you can wait to buy it and still be covered for preexisting conditions as long as you pay for insurance that covers the full cost of your known trip/cruise cost, even though you have only put down a deposit.  When I buy their insurance, I usually wait until closer to paying my cruise in full so I am not out so much money when I have only paid my deposit.

I have also bought Travel Guard.  You have to buy their insurance within 14 days (if I remember correctly) of booking your cruise.  With them, you can pay for the amount of insurance that just covers what you have spent to date and increase coverage as you pay more for the cruise, excursions, air fare, etc.  Payments for increased coverage have to be made within a given time frame as well (within 14 days of purchasing new excursions, etc.) to keep the preexisting condition coverage without paying extra for it.  Everything has to be paid before final payment.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Sue1260 said:

Also, you can buy Carnival’s insurance, but it is usually less coverage costing more money.  Read the fine print for the different insurance companies and/or call them and have them explain them to you since they are all different.  Good luck!

Have all that booked made their dining choice?  We chose Your Time Dining.  I figure with all of those wonderful sea days, I may want to eat a bit earlier - or a bit later depending on what I am doing at the time.

I was also thinking about sailing out of NY.  I live in Florida - so it is basically shorts season almost year round.  Is the weather still nice in NY at the end of September or does it get cool?