America's Test Kitchen Hands On?

ottahand7

Are these small hands on classes still offered on all ships.  I understand they are reserved first for 5 Star Mariners but I wonder if we should make a bee-line to guest services to get on a wait list?  Has anyone done any lately?   Not ready to pay for pastry again if we get in.  

We did it on both the Noordam and the Oosterdam, the last time I took part in one was March 2018.  I think that these are kept on the down low as they are only offered as a perc to 5 Stars. There were only 10 people in our class on the Oosterdam.  We were given hand pies like we made cooked in the ship's kitchen so we could taste.   

My sister on the left and our excellent teacher on the right.   

America's test kitchen resized 31018.jpg

• Like 1

I am so happy with America's Test Kitchen on board,  It is perfect for the Culinary Arts Center location, and as a Cook's Magazine fan for years, the best perc  is that you can choose that Magazine instead of travel & leisure or whatnot if you have achieved that star status. If you have never checked out Cook's Mag.. do.. they also have the America's Test Kitchen on T.V. in your cabin.  A lot of fun! 

Edited by tuolumne couple
typo
  • Like 1

Please, this is just my opinion:  I much preferred the Food & Wine sponsored cooking demos.  Sometimes one of the senior officer staff would join the demo, and it was a lot of fun.  I find the ATK recipes very basic, no humor whatsoever, and not any allowance for deviations of the recipes.  I asked at one session how the recipe would be altered for high altitude - the "cook" had no idea; she said to "just change it the way you do for other recipes you make"!  I sort of understand not sharing the results with the audience, but that was a lot of fun too.  Again, my opionion….

• 5 months later...

The Hands-on-workshops are not on the daily schedule.  Last June I went to the guest services to find which port days and times they were being held.  They offered 2 classes on a 14 day cruise.  I got into both the workshops and one was just me and the ATK chef which was great fun.  Yes 5 Star Mariners get this as a perk but they must reply to their invitation and if they do not it is open to any one that wishes to pay for the class.  You get the recipes and an apron that you wore during your class.  They had about 6 different classes that the ATK chef will choose to present.  They were egg, pasta, cake decorating, pies and a couple I can't think of currently.  When you finish with the hour long class, you get to sample the recipes that were made in and they serve coffee and tea.  On the ships I have taken the classes we were in the Culinary Center that doubles as an the B B King area.  We were not allowed to eat what we made but the recipe was prepared in the ships kitchen using the recipes due to health regulations.  

Our ATK hands-on 5 star classes have been really good, but we preferred the old ones.  Those were less educational than the ATK,but a lot more fun (and, of course, you got lunch in the Pinnacle, too!).

Unfortunately the ATK classes are on port days (even on a cruise with 15 sea day!).

Edited by SilvertoGold

50 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Our ATK hands-on 5 star classes have been really good, but we preferred the old ones.  Those were less educational than the ATK,but a lot more fun (and, of course, you got lunch in the Pinnacle, too!).

Unfortunately the ATK classes are on port days (even on a cruise with 15 sea day!).

I much preferred the old version as well.  I learned something and enjoyed the lunch in the PG after.

Like you, my ATK has been on port days - at 11:00 AM to top it off so if you are doing any tours you will not get to ATK.

I’ll see what happens on my TA but if it’s on a port day, I will NOT be impressed.

To me, it’s now a meaningless 5* perk.  Before, the hands on was on a sea day and I really enjoyed it.  Oh well.

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I much preferred the old version as well.  I learned something and enjoyed the lunch in the PG after.

Like you, my ATK has been on port days - at 11:00 AM to top it off so if you are doing any tours you will not get to ATK.

I’ll see what happens on my TA but if it’s on a port day, I will NOT be impressed.

To me, it’s now a meaningless 5* perk.  Before, the hands on was on a sea day and I really enjoyed it.  Oh well.

I thought HAL has just recently taken that perk away, it is no longer on the five star mariner perk list.  Would love to hear that it still exists.

35 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

I thought HAL has just recently taken that perk away, it is no longer on the five star mariner perk list.  Would love to hear that it still exists.

It existed the 1st week of June on the Eurodam and it was hands on pasta making.