Cruise Critic Community
surferboyandcathy

Alaska Excursions on NCL Bliss

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We were on the starboard side, Deck 15 near the forward elevator lobby. It was a PERFECT location because it was a 30 second walk into the Observation Lounge where snacks and light meals were served throughout the day and a bar. Early in the morning, you could walk into the lounge and get a cup of coffee and watch the ship pull into port. In the afternoon, scones with cream and jelly with tea. In the evening, just a place to be your [large] living room. 

We cruised the Jewel in 2015 in starboard balcony.  From your comments above, would you say this is the best side for viewing new cities are you pull into/out of port?  It was from our experience, but wanted to double check.  My mom wants to go again, but getting older and may not do shore excursions this time, so want to make sure we've got the right side of ship balcony so if she sits on balcony while we do excursions, she can see the towns and what's going on, etc.  Also, looking forward to reading you trip report, but from your comment about forward balcony...any thoughts for mom and walking to other locations on ship if in a forward cabin???

Thank you in advance!!!

Michelle

that 2 hours before crops up all the time and causes major confusion

the only time you need to be on board 2 hours before departure is the embarkation port

other ports it is usually 30 mins prior and unless a tender port you will be able to step ashore very soon after posted arrival time

no surprise you were given wrong advice when you rang NCL

The call centre reps are notorious for giving mis information 

On 2/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, 1threadshort said:

when are you goin in august?  we're goin 8/4

8/11

On 2/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, 1threadshort said:

when are you goin in august?  we're goin 8/4

8/11

On 2/10/2019 at 3:07 AM, Msmojo66 said:

We cruised the Jewel in 2015 in starboard balcony.  From your comments above, would you say this is the best side for viewing new cities are you pull into/out of port?  It was from our experience, but wanted to double check.  My mom wants to go again, but getting older and may not do shore excursions this time, so want to make sure we've got the right side of ship balcony so if she sits on balcony while we do excursions, she can see the towns and what's going on, etc.  Also, looking forward to reading you trip report, but from your comment about forward balcony...any thoughts for mom and walking to other locations on ship if in a forward cabin???

Thank you in advance!!!

Michelle

no matter where the room its quite a walk to get to the dining room or anywhere else. why not rent mom a scooter or a wheelchair. if she can handle a scooter she'll be able to get around the ship or town so much easier. w/a wheelchair, someone will have to push but still easier for her to get to see the ship and town.

My wife can walk but it is not easy and especially long distances, so we take her wheelchair.  We found that Breakaway was very handicap friendly, automatic doors for cabin and for the handicapped restrooms.  I have been checking the tours we want to take this summer, and most are handicapped friendly even in Alaska.  On one of them, there are a lot of steps down from the parking lot to the location, and they have a shuttle vehicle for those that can't do stairs.  With the exception of the Mendenhall trails and the halibut fishing tour, everything is accessible for us.

1 hour ago, misguy said:

My wife can walk but it is not easy and especially long distances, so we take her wheelchair.  We found that Breakaway was very handicap friendly, automatic doors for cabin and for the handicapped restrooms.  I have been checking the tours we want to take this summer, and most are handicapped friendly even in Alaska.  On one of them, there are a lot of steps down from the parking lot to the location, and they have a shuttle vehicle for those that can't do stairs.  With the exception of the Mendenhall trails and the halibut fishing tour, everything is accessible for us.

you can get to mendenhall hall by bus they put the wheelchair either in the luggage compartment or there is a place on front of the bus for wheelchair. once at mendenhall there is an observation area for wheelchair accessible. if you look there are some fishing excursions that will take the wheelchair. i have the same problem can walk but not a long distance.  we are doin bliss 8/4 alaska. for me i have a mobility scooter and that is what is not accessible. most of the smaller buses have no place to put it. and i found alaska shores tours didnt know that the scooters folded. that was amazing to me.

We are going to take a taxi to Mendenhall and my Granddaughter and I are walking some of the trails, my wife may stay at the visitors center.  We could have found a fishing trip for my wife, but there were only two spots left on the boat we wanted in Icy Point Strait, so my wife who isn't a huge fishing fan any way is going to relax.

14 hours ago, 1threadshort said:

no matter where the room its quite a walk to get to the dining room or anywhere else. why not rent mom a scooter or a wheelchair. if she can handle a scooter she'll be able to get around the ship or town so much easier. w/a wheelchair, someone will have to push but still easier for her to get to see the ship and town.

Do you have any idea on how to rent a scooter? Is that something you can have a travel agent do? Or can I do myself with cruise line?  We usually book ourselves, but will consider other ideas for Mom!!!

On 2/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, misguy said:

Special Needs at Sea is a company that specializes in scooters on cruises.https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

norwegian cruise suggests you use:

Scootaround

Phone: (toll-free) 888-441-7575 or 204-982-0657

they put the scooter in your room and when you're cruise is finished. you leave it there.

16 hours ago, 1threadshort said:

norwegian cruise suggests you use:

Scootaround

Phone: (toll-free) 888-441-7575 or 204-982-0657

they put the scooter in your room and when you're cruise is finished. you leave it there.

I guess one good question about scooters...how do they fit in your cabin??  While only sailing twice, have had a balcony room both times, one regular and one mini-suite.  Can't imagine where it would park while in room?  Any advice on that??

5 hours ago, Msmojo66 said:

I guess one good question about scooters...how do they fit in your cabin??  While only sailing twice, have had a balcony room both times, one regular and one mini-suite.  Can't imagine where it would park while in room?  Any advice on that??

You request a handicap room with extra wide door and space in room. 

My wife uses a wheelchair and has no trouble getting one into our room.  A scooter might be a little tighter but should be doable.  I haven't been on the Bliss, but on the Breakaway, there were handicapped bathrooms with power doors so it was never an issue for my wife to get in and out.  Our room also had a power door which was very handy.