Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Lloyd555

Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Recommended Posts

Meyer will deliver Iona in second half of June, this is just 1.5 months delay. Odyssey could be ready with a similar delay but the question is if Royal wants her at that time or later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think Royal would want her because she's a new class of ship for Florida and would boost bookings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Meyer will deliver Iona in second half of June, this is just 1.5 months delay. Odyssey could be ready with a similar delay but the question is if Royal wants her at that time or later.

I think it would depend on the length of the delay.  She is already heavily booked at premium prices. You don’t necessarily want to give up those bookings, plus the media and the exposure and positive note that it will project. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think it would depend on the length of the delay.  She is already heavily booked at premium prices. You don’t necessarily want to give up those bookings, plus the media and the exposure and positive note that it will project. 

My point is that many posters assume Meyer is responsible for a big delay but this is not the case. They could even speed up now with e.g. overtime work now but cruise lines are asking for later deliveries.Hence the yard remains on short time work and does layoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iona is doing sea trials off Denmark. Maybe Odyssey will speed up now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What date will Odyssey start sailing out of Florida?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

What date will Odyssey start sailing out of Florida?

Was supposed to be Nov. 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

My point is that many posters assume Meyer is responsible for a big delay but this is not the case. They could even speed up now with e.g. overtime work now but cruise lines are asking for later deliveries.Hence the yard remains on short time work and does layoffs.

The yard is allowed back at 100% of their workforce for capacity and then increase that with overtime.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless and until RCI and/or the yard says something official, it's all a guess when the ship will be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

My point is that many posters assume Meyer is responsible for a big delay but this is not the case. They could even speed up now with e.g. overtime work now but cruise lines are asking for later deliveries.Hence the yard remains on short time work and does layoffs.

I agree that Meyer Werft will be responsible for about 2 months delay (see my comment about overtime below), and anything further than that would more likely be a "slow down" agreement with RCI.

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The yard is allowed back at 100% of their workforce for capacity and then increase that with overtime.?

I am not sure whether or not the yard is at full employment or not, but there are social distancing requirements which will slow things down on the job site (i.e. less people working closely together).  Germany has some strange laws regarding overtime.  I was in a shipyard once in Bremerhaven, and we had a boiler failure that was going to impact our float out date, and we asked the yard to put an additional shift on it.  They said they had to  go to the state or federal government to present why they wanted to give overtime to existing employees instead of hiring additional employees.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I would think Royal would want her because she's a new class of ship for Florida and would boost bookings.

 

That was more important pre Covid.

Kind of like building a Terminal for Allure in Galveston, or heck, Amplified Allure plans.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

My point is that many posters assume Meyer is responsible for a big delay but this is not the case. They could even speed up now with e.g. overtime work now but cruise lines are asking for later deliveries.Hence the yard remains on short time work and does layoffs.

 

Seems to be a lot of fires lately🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I agree that Meyer Werft will be responsible for about 2 months delay (see my comment about overtime below), and anything further than that would more likely be a "slow down" agreement with RCI.

I am not sure whether or not the yard is at full employment or not, but there are social distancing requirements which will slow things down on the job site (i.e. less people working closely together).  Germany has some strange laws regarding overtime.  I was in a shipyard once in Bremerhaven, and we had a boiler failure that was going to impact our float out date, and we asked the yard to put an additional shift on it.  They said they had to  go to the state or federal government to present why they wanted to give overtime to existing employees instead of hiring additional employees.

 

 

The law regarding overtime is pretty straight and clear. The works council needs to approve it, not the government. This is usually no problem but not reasonable if you do layoffs at the same time. Meyer could work faster now again even with implemented social distancing, but no need as all cruise lines ask for much later delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

What date will Odyssey start sailing out of Florida?

 

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Was supposed to be Nov. 5

Thanks.  Looking forward to our February 2021 cruise on the Odyssey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Lloyd555

I saw that you finally booked an Odyssey of the Seas cruise!!

 

 

Yup.

Looking forward to it!

And going to CocoCay for the first time!

Edited by Lloyd555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure, any changes to the inaugural date means more refunds and cancellations to process. 

 

Some delay is inevitable but once announced they've got more money to give back so I suspect they won't be in a hurry to announce a revised date.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

One thing is for sure, any changes to the inaugural date means more refunds and cancellations to process. 

 

Some delay is inevitable but once announced they've got more money to give back so I suspect they won't be in a hurry to announce a revised date.  

I just hope they announce the delay prior to our final payment date.  Yesterday I booked Oasis for November 4th....sadly I needed to go for my plan B 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twangster said:

One thing is for sure, any changes to the inaugural date means more refunds and cancellations to process. 

 

More importantly.....can I still get all the goodies from the inaugural sailing?  I need more tchotchkes to dust!  🤣 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ptod said:

can I still get all the goodies from the inaugural sailing?

Don't assume anything which has been provided in the past will happen with Odyssey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they manage to ship on time, I think the bigger issue is she'd be over booked given the expected capacity limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boatseller said:

Even if they manage to ship on time, I think the bigger issue is she'd be over booked given the expected capacity limits.

any idea what the capacity limits are going to be ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airlines stated they had capacity limits yet some flights are full with zero empty seats, middle seats are occupied. 

 

Launch is a long time away, only time will tell what or if capacity limits will apply.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...