Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Bonniegale

How strict is RC on ages for kids club

Recommended Posts

Our son will turn 3 a week after our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. His brother and cousin will be with the 3-5 year old group. Is it possible for our almost 3 year old to be in the same group as his brother and cousin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traditionally there is some flexibility in age group ranges if you are. Old enough to go to adventure ocean.  Such as going between the 3-5,6-8,9-11 groups.  This is also dependent on the number of kids.  Some cruises with few kids they combine a lot of the age groups.

 

There is almost no flexibility in getting into adventure ocean if you are under 3.   I have seen time and time again parents being denied despite their child being “mature” or within a week or two of turning three.  There is always that rare exception where some parent was allowed for some reason,  but I have not seen it personally happen but have heard about it on the forums.  They have a pretty hard line on the issue, of you are under three you must go to the nursery if the ship has one.  Most ships do except for the explorer, jewel, adventure and I think one or two other ones. 

 

They also must be fully potty trained without assistance.  They get three strikes and they are out if they aren’t fully potty trained.  They must be able to do everything from go to the bathroom,  pull down their pants,  hop on the toilet, wipe and then pull up their pants to be considered fully potty trained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

zero flexibility.  the minimum age is calculated as of the day you board.  especially  for this age group.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From he experience on the Allure, they are strict. My youngest was within two months from joining my oldest in then 6-8 group and also taller than half the kids in that group as well. The staff stuck with the policy, which I respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While they are very strict with the aging up If you want your child to age down, I have never encountered a problem with that. Our seven-year-old wanted to play with our daughter in the 3 to 5-year-olds aquanauts group, and they did not argue or give us any difficulty with that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are usually very firm on the under 3 rule.  Probably because of insurance reasons, and as stated above the toileting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rimmit said:

Traditionally there is some flexibility in age group ranges if you are. Old enough to go to adventure ocean.  Such as going between the 3-5,6-8,9-11 groups.  This is also dependent on the number of kids.  Some cruises with few kids they combine a lot of the age groups.

 

There is almost no flexibility in getting into adventure ocean if you are under 3.   I have seen time and time again parents being denied despite their child being “mature” or within a week or two of turning three.  There is always that rare exception where some parent was allowed for some reason,  but I have not seen it personally happen but have heard about it on the forums.  They have a pretty hard line on the issue, of you are under three you must go to the nursery if the ship has one.  Most ships do except for the explorer, jewel, adventure and I think one or two other ones. 

 

They also must be fully potty trained without assistance.  They get three strikes and they are out if they aren’t fully potty trained.  They must be able to do everything from go to the bathroom,  pull down their pants,  hop on the toilet, wipe and then pull up their pants to be considered fully potty trained.

He is fully potty trained... so maybe that will help. It never hurts to ask, but reading all the feedback...I won’t get my hopes up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bonniegale said:

He is fully potty trained... so maybe that will help. It never hurts to ask, but reading all the feedback...I won’t get my hopes up.

 

 

 

Never hurts to ask.  All they can do is say no.   As long as you are prepared you are good to go.  What ship are you on.  If there’s a nursery there is still child care just costs money.

 

I have seen parents assume every ship has a nursery, and as they are registering their kids for AO ask where the nursery is and then are told there is none.  I feel awful as I see the crushing look on their face as the suddenly realize that their baby /toddler has no child care on the ship for the next 7-14 days.

Edited by rimmit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, rimmit said:

 

Never hurts to ask.  All they can do is say no.   As long as you are prepared you are good to go.  What ship are you on.  If there’s a nursery there is still child care just costs money.

 

I have seen parents assume every ship has a nursery, and as they are registering their kids for AO ask where the nursery is and then are told there is none.  I feel awful as I see the crushing look on their face as the suddenly realize that their baby /toddler has no child care on the ship for the next 7-14 days.

 

 

We are going on the oasis of the seas. I think they have a nursery, but I will double check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really sincerely doubt that they will allow your under age 3 son to attend Adventure Ocean. As far as asking anyways, you know what the rules are, and are asking for them to break them for you. Please don't take your son with you while  you ask. If he sees the AO area, and then likely gets denied entry, it is not going to be a very fun start to his cruise. What they do have, is a free play area just outside of AO that parents and the under 3/non potty trained crowd can come and play together. Large room with lots of large scale toys like a castle and climbing stuff. We took our 3.5 year old granddaughter to play there many times since she was not allowed to participate in AO since she was not 100% potty trained. She had a blast in that room, and asked to go there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I really sincerely doubt that they will allow your under age 3 son to attend Adventure Ocean. As far as asking anyways, you know what the rules are, and are asking for them to break them for you. Please don't take your son with you while  you ask. If he sees the AO area, and then likely gets denied entry, it is not going to be a very fun start to his cruise. What they do have, is a free play area just outside of AO that parents and the under 3/non potty trained crowd can come and play together. Large room with lots of large scale toys like a castle and climbing stuff. We took our 3.5 year old granddaughter to play there many times since she was not allowed to participate in AO since she was not 100% potty trained. She had a blast in that room, and asked to go there. 

 

Good advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...