Evening in Buenos Aires

dog

I'm looking for ideas for our first night in Buenos Aires like dinner/entertainment. We will be staying overnight on the ship, so need transportation. Are taxis readily available after 6pm from the cruise terminal?

Plenty of taxi's at the cruise terminal--all hours.  Taxi's to take you back to the terminal can be a little harder to find.  Best to ask your restaurant or wherever you are at to call you a taxi. We were at the Madero tango show, which was not a good experience, so we left early.  The doorman flagged us down a taxi, but  it took a while. Make sure you agree on a price when you get in.  They will tell you how much in pesos or dollars. Be aware of the other people outside the terminal who are getting taxi's for you.  We definitely got taken a couple of times, but it was by them, not the taxi drivers. Better to deal directly with the driver. It will be about $10 to most parts of BA other than EZE. Cruise terminal to Recoleta was $10 and La Boca to cruise terminal was $10 as well.

• Like 1

If you want a unique dining experience, you might check into Casa Salt Shaker, a closed-door dining experience - if you have a BA guidebook, you will find their info in it.  We thoroughly enjoyed our evening dining at Casa Salt Shaker (although no taxi was required as our pre-cruise hotel was just around the corner).

• Like 1

Dog, not sure when your cruise is. Soon?  Anyway, wanted to come back and tell you that on ours, Star Princess 1/3-17/19, there were only 2 formal nights, not the 3 that we all had expected.  That might affect your packing decisions.  (LOL not mine, I was planning on wearing one outfit twice on two of the formal nights.)  Still felt like I could have left one "fancier" outfit at home and saved space in the suitcase.

• Like 1

aqua2: Thanks, I'm on the Feb. 14/19 Star Princess. Packing now. 

What nights were formal? sea  days?

any other suggestions are appreciated.

dog🐧

4774Papa:

What was the name of the tango show you went to? Did you post a trip report abut your cruise?

dog🐧

15 minutes ago, aqua2 said:

Yes, formal nights were on sea days; one the first week and one the second week. 

Thank you.

Re: tendering for Stanley..What time did they start handing out the tender tickets? And where did you line up for them?

Our cruise missed Stanley altogether; the captain said the weather was too bad out that way.  For another tender port,  Puerto Montt, tender tickets were handed out in the Capri dining room.  Our independent excursion group met at Vines at 6:45am (!!!), which turned out not to be really necessary.  They started giving out tix at 7:00 and tender service started at 7:15, well ahead of the announced 7:30 start time. There was never a line to get tender tickets at that hour.

• Like 1

No, one ticket per person, although I don't know if they changed that later in the morning. Oh! I just got a vision of the line to get back to the ship at the end of the day... supposedly the last tender was to be at 5:00 or something; we got in line at the port at 4:00 and it took us at least 45 minutes, maybe an hour, to get on a tender.  And the line behind us grew and grew...I think the tenders ran until 6 or 6:30 to get everyone back on board.  Crazy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from an NCL cruise.  Check Tangol tours in BA.  We did the Tango Porteno show with dinner.  They picked us up and took us back to our hotel.  Not sure if they do same with ships.  The show was very good. Dinner fair.  Choose the chicken or pasta dish.  Steak is better elsewhere.  Enjoy.

qmcmret