Recent Experience with Gluten Free on Regent

gdlamberth

We haven't been on Regent for a while; but, are considering an Amazon Cruise on Navigator.  DH is now GF and I was wondering if anyone has had any recent GF experience?  Especially at La Veranda in the evening (GF pasta available?).

As an aside I've read some pretty horrible comments about Prime 7 on Navigator (meat is tough and crab legs are really just a pile of crabmeat?).  Any specific comments would be welcome. 

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg - just wanted to say hi and to tell you how much we enjoyed our cruise to the Amazon.  Absolutely amazing (considering that I intensely dislike heat).  

In my opinion, the food from the "newish" menu in CR is so good that if we were on Navigator, we wouldn't bother with Prime 7.  You can have lobster, filet mignon, etc. every night if you want (and it is prepared at least as well as P7).  

Hope that you receive some good responses regarding gluten free items.

Jackie

P.S.  Still look fondly back at our Silversea cruise with the three of you!

1 hour ago, gdlamberth said:

We haven't been on Regent for a while; but, are considering an Amazon Cruise on Navigator.  DH is now GF and I was wondering if anyone has had any recent GF experience?  Especially at La Veranda in the evening (GF pasta available?).

This from "What To Know If You Want To Cruise Gluten-Free" by a CC Editor.  You may want to check and see if it is still current information (this was a year or so ago):

Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Another luxury cruise line with an impressive ability to cater to gluten-free cruisers, Regent says it can create a gluten-free alternative for nearly everything. Once the maitre d' recognizes which cruisers are gluten-free, he or she will have gluten-free bread and desserts delivered each evening, even to those dining in the La Veranda buffet, a specialty restaurant or via room service. Waiters in all restaurants are also trained to offer several gluten-free suggestions on the spot.

My TA told Regent about my life-threatening food allergies well in advance of our cruise on Voyager last month. Every evening, the next day's menus --for all the venues save the pool grill-- appeared on our door.  I'm sure they will be able to accommodate you.  And FYI, there were always gluten free breads and desserts on the buffets in La Veranda; sorry I didn't notice the pasta.

Regent has Gluten free alternatives.   While the kitchen will try to do it s best there are no guarantee about cross contamination or misread product labels. But  if you are a true Celiac you still need to be cautious and probably avoid anything that might be problematic.

I have special dietary requirements and Regent does a very good job. One of the reasons I have sailed with them since 2001

J

(48/701) 2001

We just got off Voyager.  DH is GF intolerant, not celiac.  He also has to avoid dairy.  We notified Regent prior to the trip of the situation.  We would get the menus the night before in our stateroom.  They ask you to return them to the reservations desk by 10 a.m.  Once onboard, we spoke with the lady at the reservations desk.  She placed a standing order for him for scones and tea goodies.  One day they had GF donuts for him at Tea.  We also had a basket of GF breads at lunch and dinner.  He made an absolute pig of himself with the GF bread basket.  We tried to order GF pasta ahead of time for Sette Mari, but it didn't work seamlessly.  They tried, so a little patience was in order.

They have GF beers and vodka on board, too.  They are marked on the bar menus.

They really try.  You just have to be on top of it, have reasonable expectations as to their capabilities, and use a little patience.  

Thanks for everyone's replies.  DH is not Celiac, just gluten intolerant,  so do not require US  GF certification.   We have found that DH can't eat French fries cooked in the same oil as battered fish or chicken, though.  

Jackie, thanks for the comment on updated menu in CR.  That will help a lot.   Glad to hear about "baskets" of GF bread at dinner and GF goodies at Tea.

Greg

If you want the GF goodies at Tea, stop by the desk and ask for a standing order.  There was another gentleman that was GF, too.  He took some of the scones that we had ordered.  The chef began to provide more once he was notified of the demand.