Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Taters

Bare Bones Cruising

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Don't you think you should ask yourself this question?  I see more posts from you defending CCL like no one I ever seen before. I'm very open minded and not dedicated to one Cruise line. I like variety, but CCL is getting worse and worse. Imo

How many posts is the right number?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I sail Carnival because I enjoy the product. I have cruised other lines including 5 star cruise lines and frankly enjoy the Carnival product the most.  I would be happy to diacuss the merrits or your views of the Carnival product.  Start a thread, we can do that.  What I do not do is go on those

cruise line threads and show disdain for the product or posters.   I also do not laugh at them for liking the product or making it their exclusive choice.  

It's all good Jimbo, And your right, people like what they like. Sometimes though, the things you used to like just isnt the same anymore, and CCL is an example of that. This is all my opinion though. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

It's all good Jimbo, And your right, people like what they like. Sometimes though, the things you used to like just isnt the same anymore, and CCL is an example of that. This is all my opinion though. 

 

 

Fair enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Don't you think you should ask yourself this question?  I see more posts from you defending CCL like no one I ever seen before. I'm very open minded and not dedicated to one Cruise line. I like variety, but CCL is getting worse and worse. Imo

 

I’ve only been on a few cruises and don’t have much to compare to, but my experience with Carnival has been miles better than with Royal. It would take a lot of getting worse and worse to get to that point.

 

Probably going to try NCL next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine with Carnival, even though my first cruise was on Disney, which was definitely a wee bit fancier than Carnival. I can afford a balcony on Carnival, which I can't do on any other cruise line (as of yet). I wouldn't mind trying another line, but the nature of capitalism is that services get cut so shareholders get paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

It's all good Jimbo, And your right, people like what they like. Sometimes though, the things you used to like just isnt the same anymore, and CCL is an example of that. This is all my opinion though. 

 

 

She’s right, @jimbo5544. Things change but I’m glad you still find a way to enjoy the product 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 5:37 AM, hotsauce126 said:

 

I really think if you sail on anything besides Carnival/RCCL/NCL you're going to be on the younger side of the age bracket. There's a reason Holland America is referred to as the floating nursing home. I'm really looking forward to Virgin Cruises because they're aimed at a younger bracket while simultaneously being more upscale.

 

I believe there will be very few cross shopping Virgin to Carnival.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just think that the title of this thread,"Bare Bones Cruising", is funny!!

Bare bones cruising to me might be a freighter with a few cabins for passengers or maybe a sailboat where you are the crew!

It certainly doesn't mean a ship where folks clean your cabin, with a dining room where you are served, with entertainment for evenings and even during the day and generally the feel of a decent hotel!!!

This is what we call a "First world complaint" . There are certainly more luxurious cruise lines than Carnival so everyone can find one that fits their style of travel best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I just think that the title of this thread,"Bare Bones Cruising", is funny!!

Bare bones cruising to me might be a freighter with a few cabins for passengers or maybe a sailboat where you are the crew!

It certainly doesn't mean a ship where folks clean your cabin, with a dining room where you are served, with entertainment for evenings and even during the day and generally the feel of a decent hotel!!!

This is what we call a "First world complaint" . There are certainly more luxurious cruise lines than Carnival so everyone can find one that fits their style of travel best!

Did you read my post?  I am simply disappointed in the lack of dining room service, drink service by the pools, the lack of cleaning of my cabin, dirty dishes sitting around on tables, and the fact that the gratuities continue to climb while service suffers and there are less and less employees on board.  The title refers to the fact that I do not feel like there is anything special regarding Carnival cruises anymore.  I am not looking for luxury, and never have been.  If I wanted luxury, there are plenty of cruise lines for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Taters said:

Did you read my post?  I am simply disappointed in the lack of dining room service, drink service by the pools, the lack of cleaning of my cabin, dirty dishes sitting around on tables, and the fact that the gratuities continue to climb while service suffers and there are less and less employees on board.  The title refers to the fact that I do not feel like there is anything special regarding Carnival cruises anymore.  I am not looking for luxury, and never have been.  If I wanted luxury, there are plenty of cruise lines for that.

Of course I read your post!! The idea that what you describe is "bare bones" just seems funny to me!

Obviously it is not funny to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the wealth of experience others cruisers have, but the OP is right in their observations on the many little things that have disappeared from the Carnival product. Twice a day room cleaning/straightening, chocolates on the pillow (save your 'ew, I never liked them anyway' comments), ice sculptures, 24 hour complimentary room service, tablecloths, etc. Those are only off the top of my head. 

 

I still enjoy sailing Carnival; I like a more laid-back and unpretentious cruise. I don't think Holland or Celebrity would be a good fit for me and my husband. That doesn't mean that the little touches aren't missed, and that I haven't noticed the decline in service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, Taters said:

Most of our cruises have been over 10 days because we have to travel from Fairbanks, Alaska to embark.

 

 

 

I can't add to the discussion on (we have only been cruising for 4 years) decline in service, but wanted to say hi to a fellow Alaskan.  We are just down the road in Delta.  No 10 day cruises for us yet because we have three small kids and it is too much, but we always book for 7 days to make that airfare worth it.  On our one six day cruise, we tacked a couple days on in the Keys because that is too far to fly for only six days! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, robin16ak said:

 

Hi Robin.  Hopefully you will have many more cruises coming.  They're great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...