Ocho Rios - Horseback Ride & Swim Questions

Firstin87

Hi,

We are going to Ocho Rios in mid-April on NCL and are considering doing the Horseback Ride & Swim excursion.  Has anyone done that?  Does anyone know what stable it is through - Hooves or Braco Stables?

Thanks for any information.

Cyndy

• 1 month later...

It is done through Chukka. It was fun. A friend and I did it last year. We ordered our pictures, but had no way to check the CD. I got home and it would not work. With a little effort on my part, I was able to contact them and they did get me my pictures. Facility was okay. It wasn't my favorite thing to do, but we did have a nice guide that told us about the area and was able to answer some of our horse questions (we have horses and were interested in how they take care of them there and what they feed and other silly questions lol). He was really nice but it was SUPER busy. There were other tours going on and had to wait forever for our horses. I was going to tip our guide, but after we switched to the water ride, I couldn't find him. I had put everything locked up in my locker so I didn't have any cash on me. Any questions I'd be happy to answer. 🙂

Yes you can! They have lockers to purchase. I can't remember how much they were. No more than 10 or 15 bucks. We rode through the jungle first then hopped off and they got the water bareback pads on the horses for us to go through the water with. (they may do this in reverse, but they will let you know so you can dress appropriately.) While they were changing saddles and all, you could go back to the lockers and change. Then you can back and got in line to go through the water. They took about 10 at a time through the water so you did wait just a little bit. I would highly recommend bug spray. It rained while we were riding also, but it felt good. Was kind of hot. All in all it was fun. The facilities are okay, but not super clean. I mean, the cleaning lady was really nice and she was sweeping, but it reminds me kind of like a camping facility at a state park.

Oh and maybe a pouch of some sort if you want to take pictures. I had my lanyard that I had a pouch to put my phone in, but it was hard to get to and I didn't get many pictures of my own 😕 And it was heavy on my neck. I think I'm going to take a small backpack this next time. I always take my regular size backpack for all my things, but something just a little smaller would be good so I can get in and out of it quick.

Bug Spray

Camera/phone

Sunscreen

Towel

Change of dry clothes

I think that would be the main things I would take 🙂

Maybe some money for the pictures and a souvenir if you wanted. They had a few things in their little store. And I think they had a place to get some lunch and something to drink, but we didn't do that. Might double check me on that. 🙂 

It was fun. I just wish I hadn't been the lead horse in the water and could've gotten better pics lol. We have our own horses and ride all the time at home. But I would do it again with a friend that wanted to 🙂 

steve49_#60.jpg

steve338_#3.jpg

steve340_#4.jpg

Hi mamabearjp,

Thank you for all the details!  I appreciate you taking the time to tell me everything I need to know, and adding the list of things to bring. 

I'm sorry to reply to late.  I've been laid up with the flu and am finally getting caught up on emails, etc.

I envy you getting to ride horses at home.  My husband has never ridden and this looks like a great first experience for him.  I haven't ridden in over 30 years, but its been on my "vacation to do" list for some time.

Thanks again!

Cyndy

• Like 1

No problem 🙂 You guys would have fun I think 🙂 You'll have to update me how it went if you go! lol 

To add, I almost wonder if I brought my own flash drive, if they could've uploaded them on to it. So I could see them right then and there. Hmmm, just came to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw lots of first time riders. That's mainly who they cater too. I think you would be just fine. The horses pretty much know just where to go and what to do. They have mounting blocks so you don't have to try and jump up there. It all moves pretty smooth. You just walk so you're not going very fast :)

3 hours ago, mamabearjp said:

I saw lots of first time riders. That's mainly who they cater too. I think you would be just fine. The horses pretty much know just where to go and what to do. They have mounting blocks so you don't have to try and jump up there. It all moves pretty smooth. You just walk so you're not going very fast 🙂

Thank you mamabearjp!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mamabearjp,

Our cruise was last week and we did the horseback ride and swim on Wed., April 17.  It was wonderful!  My favorite part was when my horse galloped through the water.  This was my husband's first experience riding a horse and he had a good time.  We can do this again sometime.

Thank you again for all the information you sent.  I used your list when we packed and we had everything we needed.  You sure weren't kidding when you said it takes awhile to get the horses ready.  They are a bit disorganized, though.  They ran out of helmets for everyone and it took awhile to get more.

Thanks again,

Cyndy

Firstin87

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...