What happened on Oosterdam 31 Jan 19?

danb35

While not directly related to this event, we were on the Prinsendam doing a circumnavigation of Ireland in August 2016, when they did a practice Air Evac with the Irish Rescue Service. To top it off, they did it at night too. Since it was at night, there was not any opportunity to get any decent pictures. I tried, but all I got was some blurry lights, since the helo had some pretty bright spotlights running during the event. And once they went out, it was hard to even see it anymore. 

Edited by drowelf

1 minute ago, drowelf said:

While not directly related to this event, we were on the Prinsendam doing a circumnavigation of Ireland in August 2016, when they did a practice Air Evac with the Irish Rescue Service. To top it off, they did it at night too. 

Impressive!

SAR Ireland.jpg

On 2/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Correct, December 2017 - I was with you :classic_wink:

Shoot, if I had known, I would have tried looking you up! 

Hopefully we will get a chance to meet you on a future cruise (as long as it is not because of me causing trouble:classic_rolleyes:!).

Thanks for all the other photos. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Impressive!

SAR Ireland.jpg

That looks like a variant of the venerable Sikorsky S-61, and I'm very familiar with it, having taken countless flights in them back in my younger days working the offshore oil fields.  That bird was a mainstay of the oilfield fleet around the world.  Big, roomy (30 pax), stable platform, it just doesn't have the "legs" (range) of the newer Jayhawk.

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That looks like a variant of the venerable Sikorsky S-61, and I'm very familiar with it, having taken countless flights in them back in my younger days working the offshore oil fields.  That bird was a mainstay of the oilfield fleet around the world.  Big, roomy (30 pax), stable platform, it just doesn't have the "legs" (range) of the newer Jayhawk.

Yup, it's a Sikorsky S-92 the 61's bigger brother with parts from the S-70. This bad boy, a further development of it, is slated to replace the Marine Corps' VH-3D's for presidential transport as "Marine One" Besides the Irish, the Norwegians, Brits and South Koreans use them as SAR helos and the Canucks use them for shipboard purposes replacing their very long in the tooth Sea Kings

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Had the unfortunate distinction of going down in a 61 back in the 80's, on a flight between Sable Island and Halifax.  It was summer, but was very glad to see Canadian Forces SAR show up to pick us out of the drink.

Never a good experience! Glad the Canadians came to your rescue and you walked away from it!

I was really hoping someone had further information about what had happened to the patient (which wouldn't violate patient confidentiality if identifying information were not disclosed--I'm quite familiar with those laws, as I work in that field), but thanks to all (especially to Copper) for the info about medevac assets and capabilities.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danb35 said:

I was really hoping someone had further information about what had happened to the patient (which wouldn't violate patient confidentiality if identifying information were not disclosed--I'm quite familiar with those laws, as I work in that field), but thanks to all (especially to Copper) for the info about medevac assets and capabilities.

Well, the only ones who would know this are the ship's doctor, the hospital, and the family, and I don't know why any of these entities would want to post this information on a public forum.

• Like 1