Itinerary Decisions for Greek Cruise

itsanita

We are in the process of choosing our next cruise.  Trying to make some decisions on two cruises, based on the the itinerary.  Both stop in  Athens and Santorini (we have been to both in the past and are looking forward to a repeat visit).  But one also stops in NAUPLION and KATAKOLON.  The other stops in  RHODES and CHANIA (SOUDA),CRETE.  

So I'm looking for some thoughts and suggestions.  Is one itinerary in your opinion, better than the other....any 'not to be missed'? 

Thanks for any help!!

Rhodes and Chania are far more interesting IMO.   Katakalon is for Olympia,  but. Chania is A beautiful town on our favourite island Crete.   In Rhodes the town is stunning,  with a Templar knights castle and lovely Lindos.  Nauplion is ok but I prefer the other two.  

• Thanks 1

I haven't been to Nauplion but have visited the other three several times. Any itinerary that includes Rhodes will always get my vote. It's an historic walled town with huge connections with the Crusades, it's beautiful, pristine, it's a two minute walk from the ship through the walled gates. Inside the walls you'll find loads of shops, bars and restaurants.

Chania has a really nice indoor market, shopping area and a nice harbour walk. Chania and Rhodes have their own unique identities, I find that Katakalon lacks an identify or has anything unique about it. It's a one street town used as bus stop to visit Olympia.

• Like 1

I'll play devil's advocate....

If the OP happens to be interested in ancient history, then the itinerary with Katakolon and Nauplia are much preferable.

As already referenced, Olympia is THE reason to stop at Katakolon. It's amazing to see the site of the original Olympics, put your feet in the the starting blocks, and see the temples of the city-states and nations that participated. Also, the museum on the site is excellent -- small, modern, well signed and with some really special pieces.

From Nauplia, one can visit Mycenae, a fascinating citadel city and home to famed King Agamemnon of the Iliad (and many Greek tragedies), dramatically located and excavated in the late 1800s by Heinrich Schliemann. The huge tombs are a major WOW.  And also from Nauplia another famous ancient site, Epidauros, can be reached. It was an ancient healing center and there is a gorgeous theater there, as well as numerous buildings that were associated with Asclepius. These two sites are close enough to Nauplia that you could do one in the morning and one in the afternoon, if desired.

I find Chania very one-note. I know it's not a popular opinion, but aside from the Venetian harbor it's not all that. Rhodes I do like (and Lindos) but I'd pick the other two ports first.

• Like 1

As always cruisemom gives great info.   It always comes down to what your interests are.   I did a lot of classics in university so saw the major sites years ago,  today I  enjoy the more scenic towns.   We also were interested in visiting the war cemeteries near Chania and the lovely beaches.  But I am a bit biased as we have spent six weeks on Crete.  

The good thing is you really can’t go wrong with either! 

Edited by bennybear

I’ve visited all 4 ports and prefer nauplia and katakolon to Rhodes and chania. Rhodes and Chania are quaint but I enjoyed the Olympic site and museum in katakolon. In naplio we walked the sea wall and climbed the 999 steps to palamidi castle. Inexpensive DIYer excursions.

I agree with cruisemom, but will offer a variation.  You say you have been to Athens before.  You might want to take an excursion from Athens to Mycenae and Corinth (maybe even include a boat ride down the Corinth canal).  Then from Nauplion, just go for the short excursion to Epidaurus and enjoy the rest of your day in Nauplion.  The Palamides fortress is a great sight and so is the old town.  

For Olympia, don't miss the Archaeological Museum, but also visit the Ancient Olympic Games Museum.  Other attractions out of Katakolo, like the winery and farm visit are not worth the time in comparison.

Save Rhodes and Crete for another cruise.  In Crete, for a first time visitor, I would pick Heraklion instead of Chania.  Actually, Crete is best as a land vacation where you can split your time between a couple of places.

I agree with cruisemom, but will offer a variation.  You say you have been to Athens before.  You might want to take an excursion from Athens to Mycenae and Corinth (maybe even include a boat ride down the Corinth canal).  Then from Nauplion, just go for the short excursion to Epidaurus and enjoy the rest of your day in Nauplion.  The Palamides fortress is a great sight and so is the old town.  

For Olympia, don't miss the Archaeological Museum, but also visit the Ancient Olympic Games Museum.  Other attractions out of Katakolo, like the winery and farm visit are not worth the time in comparison.

Save Rhodes and Crete for another cruise.  In Crete, for a first time visitor, I would pick Heraklion instead of Chania.  Actually, Crete is best as a land vacation where you can split your time between a couple of places.