Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
johnatsis

Chairs removed to make more room?

Recommended Posts

Funny ... Princess spends a boatload of $$$ on a fleet of new flat screen TVs and On Demand programming ... then they take away the seating pax would use to enjoy the inve$tment

Edited by pms4104

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

 

Out of curiosity I just revisited the Princess site and checked out Regal's cabin photos. It appears the new photos do not feature the barrel chair nor the table. In addition, there looks like there are new chairs on the balcony that seem to not have the ability to recline. The diagrams, however, have not been updated and still do include the chair and table.

1920491407_ScreenShot2019-02-09at5_03_05PM.thumb.png.f0b995d274e5ac54af138cd815b2c262.png

 

Good photo.  Reason why there are no reclining chairs is that on the Royal class the balcony is too narrow for them.  Hence my statement of "largest number of useless balconies on the sea".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gwhitti said:

YES. I was one of the letter writers and I shared my letter on CC and asked for support. 

Good for you.! 👍👍 I am interested in hearing  if  Princess responds positively to the missing chair and table complaint/concern,  and will return the chair and table back to the stateroom.

Will you and others move on to another cruise line if Princess doe not respond to your liking?

Wishing you good luck in your quest to effect change.

King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two chairs are good for watching tv or eating room service.  Have used them at least once or twice per week on cruises.

 

Also if one person happens to be ill, the other can have a spot to sit besides the desk chair.  Have been on a cruise where I wanted to sit a few hours with my DH who was ill in the cabin.  Was not noro but what if noro happens and you are quaranteened to cabin.  Do you want to take turns in the bed and desk chair, just silly?

 

So yes, we do look at what the cabin offers when we book.  And the Princess suites price out the same as smaller luxury lines like Seabourn, Viking and Oceania.  Currently have a Caribe balcony cabin on Crown because it will allow sitting outside in comfort.

 

And there are other options with sofas like HAL, NCL, Celebrity, etc.

 

So yes it is important and a factor for some of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Two chairs are good for watching tv or eating room service.  Have used them at least once or twice per week on cruises.

 

Also if one person happens to be ill, the other can have a spot to sit besides the desk chair.  Have been on a cruise where I wanted to sit a few hours with my DH who was ill in the cabin.  Was not noro but what if noro happens and you are quaranteened to cabin.  Do you want to take turns in the bed and desk chair, just silly?

 

So yes, we do look at what the cabin offers when we book.  And the Princess suites price out the same as smaller luxury lines like Seabourn, Viking and Oceania.  Currently have a Caribe balcony cabin on Crown because it will allow sitting outside in comfort.

 

And there are other options with sofas like HAL, NCL, Celebrity, etc.

 

So yes it is important and a factor for some of us.

 

These are the pictures of a Princess balcony cabin and diagram that Princess has at their website except for the Royal Class ships and Pacific Princess.

default-balcony-diagram-1600.jpg.jp2

default-balcony-1600.jpg.jp2

Edited by PrincessLuver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OCruisers said:

 

Also wondering on which Princess ship and type of cabin were things removed to make more room?  :classic_unsure:

 

Still wondering on which Princess ship and type of cabin were things removed to make more room?

Our cabin in January 2019 on Caribbean Princess was exactly as it has always been.  

:classic_unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link to the balcony pictures.  Caribe deck balconies on the Crown are about twice the size of the normal balconies.  We will use that space to help make up for the cabin arrangement not having a sofa/loveseat.  At this point, that is about the only cabin we look for on Princess.  If we are going to pay for a suite or mini suite we look at other lines; there are usually some very good options in that price range.

 

So far have only seen reports of the round chair being removed on the Ruby and the Crown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OCruisers said:

 

Still wondering on which Princess ship and type of cabin were things removed to make more room?

Our cabin in January 2019 on Caribbean Princess was exactly as it has always been.  

:classic_unsure:

Sailed last month  on  Grand.  No barrel chair.  Small round table still in stateroom.   Balcony.  Baja,  midship.

King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

So, if you are not a happy camper with Princess, what are you going to do about it?  Write corporate and voice your displeasure ?   Or?

King

Sent a number of folks an email days ago. Don't need your advice. My comments were just to add a little levity to the subject. All the best, Be Happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 12:43 PM, OCruisers said:

 

Still wondering on which Princess ship and type of cabin were things removed to make more room?

Our cabin in January 2019 on Caribbean Princess was exactly as it has always been.  

:classic_unsure:

No chair or table on Majestic last November. BA cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me looks like a aft penthouse suite... or a corner vista suite as they are the only ones with that wider balcony  ( table with Four chairs )

 

Also the main discussion has been with Balcony cabins which are smaller......

 

But I do agree loosing the barrel chair and table would be up setting...

 

Cheers Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kjg46 said:

Sent a number of folks an email days ago. Don't need your advice. My comments were just to add a little levity to the subject. All the best, Be Happy!

Good for being pro active! 😋

Will you let everyone here know the outcome of your email to Princess?

Good luck with your quest for change.

King

 

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Great, if you can afford one if the few suites. 

 

We were in a mini-suite, not a full suite, on CB last month.  

Happily, our furniture was the same as it has always been.

Wonder if it's been the same for others with mini suites on other ships?

Hate hearing some not in full suite or mini suites are no longer having the chair and/or table.  

 

Edited by OCruisers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed princess on the 3rd of Feb.  Recieved an auto response that stated they were really busy but a rep would contact me.  Hope you have better luck than I.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, louden said:

 

Good photo.  Reason why there are no reclining chairs is that on the Royal class the balcony is too narrow for them.  Hence my statement of "largest number of useless balconies on the sea".

I had a reclining chair on my balcony on the Regal last week and a chair in my room.  I wish they would take the chair out it took up too much room

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also sent an email and did receive a personal phone call the next day which allowed me to follow up on my concerns and reasons why I felt the chair and table were important, at least for some people.  I didn't ask and wasn't told why this change but they were definitely hearing that was a serious concern for some people.  We had a full discussion and I offered some different solutions.  Clearly some find the chair and table in the way but for others, it makes for a more comfortable space as well as providing proper seating other than on the bed for two adults for a variety of reasons.   It is not my role to run their business but I appreciated the opportunity to express my thoughts, which I believe were heard.  What is decided in the end remains to be determined but some sort of choice would be ideal if it could be done without making life too much more difficult for the room stewards, who already have a lot to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rocking Waves said:

I also sent an email and did receive a personal phone call the next day which allowed me to follow up on my concerns and reasons why I felt the chair and table were important, at least for some people.  I didn't ask and wasn't told why this change but they were definitely hearing that was a serious concern for some people.  We had a full discussion and I offered some different solutions.  Clearly some find the chair and table in the way but for others, it makes for a more comfortable space as well as providing proper seating other than on the bed for two adults for a variety of reasons.   It is not my role to run their business but I appreciated the opportunity to express my thoughts, which I believe were heard.  What is decided in the end remains to be determined but some sort of choice would be ideal if it could be done without making life too much more difficult for the room stewards, who already have a lot to do.

 

I also received a call from "Katie" in the Corporate office.  She was calling to acknowledge receipt of my email, essentially a copy of my earlier posting here.  She simply stated that my concerns would be reviewed  by "seniors".   I restated my concerns about the changes over the years and the fact that the "barrel" chairs were getting a lot of discussion on CC.  There was no other discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following several emails I received a phone call from Princess head office. I was informed that chair and table will be removed from Emerald, Regal and Majestic. The cabins affected are balcony, ocean view and inside. The reason given for the removal was that some passengers complained about space issues. I am encouraging all concerned to email the CEO at the following address.....jswartz@princesscruises.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Crown this morning, and no chair in our balcony stateroom. See photo. The round table was there and, as always, it was useful. I REALLY missed the chair though. 

I just completed the survey Princess sent me and let it be known I was most unhappy with the removal of the chair. 

no chair.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks for the photo triumphguy...

 

I can see by your photo the dilemma... it is basically a small area and a barrel chair takes up a bit of room...

and I understand why some want the chair and others don't.......

 

It come down to what you use your cabin for... a room to sleep or a room to retreat too for quiet time...

 

All I can say is that a standard balcony is really  not a room for two to sit in and relax in....

unless you use the balcony.. weather permitting 

 

Cheers Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, hllwdcruiser said:

 

Out of curiosity I just revisited the Princess site and checked out Regal's cabin photos. It appears the new photos do not feature the barrel chair nor the table. In addition, there looks like there are new chairs on the balcony that seem to not have the ability to recline. The diagrams, however, have not been updated and still do include the chair and table.

1920491407_ScreenShot2019-02-09at5_03_05PM.thumb.png.f0b995d274e5ac54af138cd815b2c262.png

Thanks for the CG image although those are too often inaccurate (as are the diagrams) & don’t think the Royal’s balconies will now have a wooden plank floor such as in that image.

0615466F-A43C-4955-9311-D4086F2B4E63.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 4:19 PM, pms4104 said:

Funny ... Princess spends a boatload of $$$ on a fleet of new flat screen TVs and On Demand programming ... then they take away the seating pax would use to enjoy the inve$tment

VERY good observation. On the Crown, the TV was HUGE, so large it overhung the cabinet shelf and I whacked my head on it a few times going on and off the balcony.

That said, I like the larger TV, but you're right, what's the point if there's no place to sit??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they could have an option to choose to have the chair, in advance, similar to how they allow you to choose whether the beds are together or separate.    I'm sure there are happy people because the chair is gone.   I want the comfy chair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...