Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

I recently contact Customer Service regarding the removal of the barrel chair from balcony cabins on the Ruby.  We received calls from two different customer service agents.  The first had sent an email directly to the ship and the reply was that the chairs were removed from the cabins.  The second said the chairs also had been removed but they would have a few on board on a first come, first serve basis.  We are elite with Princess and are very disappointed that in a balcony cabin there will be no seat except for desk chair.  We have now cancelled our booking with Princess and have booked with another line with almost the same itinerary.  Holland America, Celebrity and NCL all have a mini sofa in the balcony cabin. We don't want to spend our vacation sitting and enjoying room service on the bed. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:16 AM, johnatsis said:

Just on the Ruby Princess in a balcony room and noticed the small barrel chair was missing from the room - all you have to sit on is the awful little desk/makeup chair. I asked customer service about the removal and they said they removed the chairs to give you more space... I told them if they removed the beds we would have lots of room!

My wife is a little upset about no chair to sit and read her book - Thoughts...

I agree.  We were on the Majestic in November and missed that chair a lot!  We thought it was something new on that ship being that it was the newest ship and I forgot to mention it in my survey.  We will be on the Emerald at the end of March and if it isn't there, I will be making a complaint and comment on the survey for sure!

Just now, meh56 said:

I recently contact Customer Service regarding the removal of the barrel chair from balcony cabins on the Ruby.  We received calls from two different customer service agents.  The first had sent an email directly to the ship and the reply was that the chairs were removed from the cabins.  The second said the chairs also had been removed but they would have a few on board on a first come, first serve basis.  We are elite with Princess and are very disappointed that in a balcony cabin there will be no seat except for desk chair.  We have now cancelled our booking with Princess and have booked with another line with almost the same itinerary.  Holland America, Celebrity and NCL all have a mini sofa in the balcony cabin. We don't want to spend our vacation sitting and enjoying room service on the bed. 

I hope you contacted upper management to make them aware you voted with your feet/wallet. 

• Like 1

What a stupid corporate decision. First, the are the only line without a sofa or love seat in the balcony rooms, then they take away the chair. What's next, a folding cot that the remove during the day? Before the cheerleaders jump on me, I know the deluxe balconies have a sofa.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

What a stupid corporate decision. First, the are the only line without a sofa or love seat in the balcony rooms, then they take away the chair. What's next, a folding cot that the remove during the day? Before the chee,rleaders jump on me, I know the deluxe balconies have a sof, 

We need to quit demonizing those who love Princess by dismissing us as "Cheerleaders." Our opinions are as valid as those who are critical of every change Princess makes. I can see how this chair issue angers some, for us it makes little difference as we are basically bed floppers and the chair was just another place to put stuff. For others it means they change lines, to each his own.

2 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

We need to quit demonizing those who love Princess by dismissing us as "Cheerleaders." Our opinions are as valid as those who are critical of every change Princess makes. I can see how this chair issue angers some, for us it makes little difference as we are basically bed floppers and the chair was just another place to put stuff. For others it means they change lines, to each his own.

I think we should also quit demonizing those with a complaint about Princess by suggesting they change lines.  To each his own indeed.  If some want to change lines, that is their decision.  No need for a total stranger to suggest it, as many are prone to do here.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Yes.  Why not upgrade to a mini-suite or above?

Good luck.  And enjoy.

King

You are extremely fond of suggesting this.  Perhaps because many people cannot afford to cruise in a mini suite or above.  I took my first cruise in a mini suite, and found it to be a total waste of money, FOR ME.  Not bashing those who love it.  I dont like to spend time in the cabin.  Would much rather be on deck, so it was a waste for me.  However, these days, I cannot afford to spend my money in a suite.  It just does not make sense for me.  But I would like a comfortable chair in my cabin, if you do not mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stoneharborlady said:

I think we should also quit demonizing those with a complaint about Princess by suggesting they change lines.  To each his own indeed.  If some want to change lines, that is their decision.  No need for a total stranger to suggest it, as many are prone to do here.

I am guilty but it takes someone to bitterly complain about everything about their cruise(s) to suggest a change in lines. I exempt the nostalgic who call the changes from 50 years ago cutbacks and "nickle and diming." 

58 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

I hope that Princess cares enough about their customers to replace the chairs. It would have made more sense to remove a chair upon request. I don't recall being asked whether or not I wanted somewhere to sit! 

I agree completely.  Hope that management will have enough sense to reverse this decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

And for us, that was an important function of the chair in addition to being a place to sit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Interesting Photo... look rather like a crew area.....  storage  ??  door labelled Emergency escape

Just a crew storage area mid-ship that just happened to have the door propped open when we walked by. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Wonder if anyone actually liked having the chair removed to make more space?????  :classic_unsure:

I do ! I found the chair to be in my way.However feel for those that did like it! I do like the table though! Safety issue my ass !! They have another motive!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a possible solution...fits in luggage and you could leave it with the steward for the next guest if you didn't want to schlep it home.  If it's in the way we just fold it up.  Just a thought.  Might even embarrass Princess into replacing the chair.  $26 at Amazon.  Just a happy thought! 😉

Quik Chair Portable Folding Chair with Arm Rest Cup Holder and Carrying and Storage Bag

Quik Chair Portable Folding Chair with Arm Rest Cup Holder and Carrying and Storage Bag

Edited by ExDean
clarity
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ExDean said:

As a possible solution...fits in luggage and you could leave it with the steward for the next guest if you didn't want to schlep it home.  If it's in the way we just fold it up.  Just a thought.  Might even embarrass Princess into replacing the chair.  $26 at Amazon.  Just a happy thought! 😉

Any inflatable tables...lol

Edited by Reader0108598

3 hours ago, deliver42 said:

What a stupid corporate decision. First, the are the only line without a sofa or love seat in the balcony rooms, then they take away the chair. What's next, a folding cot that the remove during the day? Before the cheerleaders jump on me, I know the deluxe balconies have a sofa.

Actually, the deluxe balconies do not have a sofa.  We were in a premium balcony and it has the barrell chair and table in February on Crown.  We stayed in there because we wanted an aft room.  Just an FYI, didn't want you to book a deluxe and expect a sofa and be disappointed.

Come to think of it, our room on the Crown had a lot of spills on the carpet, you could see it all over stains.  We thought that rather odd; however, the room really has no where to put coffee, tea, wine, pop without getting spilled other than that small round table.  I made my hubby keep his glass there so it did not accidentally get knocked over!  This may be something that may come back to "bite" them in the butt.

Plus, anyone who thinks the chair is in the way can place it and the table in the closet.  Solution solved for everyone.  If you can't do it yourself, ask your room steward....happiness all around.

Edited by mellon1
added
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Actually, the deluxe balconies do not have a sofa.  We were in a premium balcony and it has the barrell chair and table in February on Crown.  We stayed in there because we wanted an aft room.  Just an FYI, didn't want you to book a deluxe and expect a sofa and be disappointed.

On the Regal the deluxe balconies do have a loveseat.

4 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

On the Regal the deluxe balconies do have a loveseat.

Really!  Have not done the Royal class ships because of the narrow balconies, maybe that is why the balconies are smaller to allow for a larger room?  Thanks, I learned something today.

I did buy an inflatable ottoman...not quite a table but...   I also considered bringing my own folding camp chair that has a slight recline and with an ottoman, could make a very nice sitting area.   Unfortunately, I'm flying to the port and can't haul that much stuff.   So it's the inflatable "bolster" for the back of my "twin bed turned sofa" and the inflatable ottoman for my feet.  I suspect between cold weather gear and my inflatables...there's another suitcase to pay for too.   Still cheaper than $5k for a cabin with a sofa.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

Deluxe balcony is a separate cabin category and only available on Royal class ships. It is slightly larger, has a small two  person loveseat sofa, which can also be the third berth for three or  four person cabins , small coffee table. And a little less storage in the desk area - doesn't have those extra small shelves , etc like the standard balcony. 

It's different from Premium balcony, which refers to location... You can have a Deluxe balcony or a Premium Deluxe balcony (or obstructed view Deluxe balcony, etc) . Same as having a balcony or premium balcony. 

Deluxe Balcony category starts with a D versus standard balcony starting with B..

On 2/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, TriumphGuy said:

Never even considered room service because no place to sit other than the balcony. We did still have the table though, just no chair. Crown February 5-15, 2019.

Has anyone ever experienced Princess reversing a decision? Is anyone in head office listening ( or caring )?