Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

My husband the other day said to friends that he feels like Princess is our second home.  When he said this I realized why I feel so strongly about the chair being removed.  It is just not the chair being removed, but us being removed from cruising Princess the way we do now.  

Every time that I have ever E-mail Ms. Swartz I only received back the kindest, warmest replies.  Even the lady who called me about the chairs was so nice.  (but could not help).
So, I guess I feel let down by Princess.  I fell like I am toss overboard.  Like I said in others posts, I don't think that the heads of Princess want to all ways have to sit on the edge of a bed.  I fell that this has not been thought through all the way from the PAX view point.  They have not thought about PAX with a back disability etc. 
    So, what am I to do.  Well, if I can get a cabin with a love seat in it and one chair for the price I pay for my balcony, then I will sail Princess.  If not, then I will sail on one of the other cruise lines.
It is really sad for me to think of sailing another line.  Before sailing Princess I sailed on many lines and have status on them too.  So, I will just go back to one of them.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

492 posts -- Yikes.  I have not read all 492.  I personally won't mind if the chair is gone.  It just gets its the way most of the time.  The other one by the mirror is sufficient.  

I have a sneaking suspicion most feel differently -- maybe 492 to 1.  :classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Unless, of course, there are two of you and you want to eat room service.  I'm in the camp that I don't want to perch on the edge of the bed to do so.  

Make that 493 to 1.  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

The man on the Royal for 49 days has a bad back and can’t sit on the bed to read. He has asked everyone he could find on the Royal to please help him find a chair so he could stay in his cabin and have  room service, read and just hang out and look at the view outside hi window as he has done on many prior cruises. He is sailing solo, I believe, and values his privacy. Does not want to go sit in a public area. Not interested in giving Princess more money. No one on the Royal seems to care nor does corporate who we know could contact the ship and find this loyal Princess cruiser some kind of chair which we know must be on board. 

It is is total disregard for a passenger, an uncaring attitude and a very sad situation. How would you like to be on a ship for almost two months and be told to get out of your cabin and go sit in a public area? Even more disturbing is that the post seems to have been removed. How is that possible? Did he violate terms on Cruise Critic? Did Princess use leverage to remove the post?maybe I did a bad job searching for it. 

The race ace to the bottom that seems to be going on with the airlines seems to be happening on Princess , as well. If I were on this ship,I would give him one of my chairs if I was in a mini suite or I would find him a chair. Shame on Princess!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, catsdinner said:

There was no chair or table in our cabin on the Diamond in January.  We did not miss it.  It is usually in the way.

I am sincerely very happy for you that you are healthy and do not yet need the chair in the room.  Do you agree that those less fortunate do deserve a place to sit with comfort?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

The man on the Royal for 49 days has a bad back and can’t sit on the bed to read. He has asked everyone he could find on the Royal to please help him find a chair so he could stay in his cabin and have  room service, read and just hang out and look at the view outside hi window as he has done on many prior cruises. He is sailing solo, I believe, and values his privacy. Does not want to go sit in a public area. Not interested in giving Princess more money. No one on the Royal seems to care nor does corporate who we know could contact the ship and find this loyal Princess cruiser some kind of chair which we know must be on board. 

It is is total disregard for a passenger, an uncaring attitude and a very sad situation. How would you like to be on a ship for almost two months and be told to get out of your cabin and go sit in a public area? Even more disturbing is that the post seems to have been removed. How is that possible? Did he violate terms on Cruise Critic? Did Princess use leverage to remove the post?maybe I did a bad job searching for it. 

The race ace to the bottom that seems to be going on with the airlines seems to be happening on Princess , as well. If I were on this ship,I would give him one of my chairs if I was in a mini suite or I would find him a chair. Shame on Princess!

OMG!  That is terrible for the poor guy...and 49 days!  Not a single chair could be found.

I hope Princess will seriously think about the impact to the elderly and those with disabilities that may need a chair.  It doesn’t seem ethical to have to force people to purchase a more expensive cabin because certain cabins lack basic things. It seems rather insensitive of them.  

• Like 3

Here is another scenario.  It is formal night.  Hubby and I are dressed in our finery and have ordered some canapes and a bottle of wine to enjoy in our stateroom prior to the evenings festivities. It is raining outside.  Hmmm.....canapes and wine go on the desk beside the computer.  One of us gets the desk chair....It will be me because I don't want to crush my dress or slip off the bed because the material is shiny and smooth and crushes easily.  Hubby gets the bed or if he was smart, he brought in a deck chair to sit in before the rain started.  Oh, I guess we could bring in the little balcony table.  Perfect.  Now our wine is in glasses on the little balcony table with the plate of canapes crowded in bedside them.  Lovely romantic sight!  A toast to the start of a perfect evening and to Princess for providing the great venue!!  I don't recall being asked if I wanted "more room" and we are Elite "guests".  We are booked on the Emerald at the end of March and I sure hope we get on board fast enough to get our dibs in on the very few extra chairs that MAY be available.

• Like 5

There are a lot of people on this cruise for 49 days without a chair! Me included!! 

Today has been frightful weatherwise. No way can we attempt to go outside. It is cold, it has rained. It would be lovely to sit on a chair and look outside our balcony door. 

The public spaces are mobbed. Solution, I took a nap. 

Denise

Edited by dchip
Content
  • Like 2

The idiot that came up with this cost saving measure should be fired.Just think Princess no longer has to dry clean the chairs and the room steward can clean the room quicker because he does not have to move the chair. we can assign him more cabins and cut more costs.People will not order room service so we can reduce the number of people assigned to this.

This is a safetey issue in bad weather unless you can rope yourself to the bed

• Like 1

Hi folks, I have already posted once here about my October cruise on the Grand to Hawaii.....had the small table, but no barrel chair.  I have emailed Ms. Swartz....got a courteous call back essentially saying I was mistaken, cabins in categories less than minis had never had the chairs😲.  And was told that on my future cruises there would be no chair. I am now a widow and pay exactly two times as much...and get even less.  Since that time I have emailed Ms. Swartz again, as well as sent paper copies of screenshots of actual comments here on CC as well as photos of insides and ocean views all showing said chair.....and a count of views and posts here on CC.  Silence from corporate.

I need your help.....how do we make our voices heard?  This is not some whimsical complaint.  This is very real, but I’m afraid that they will assume this will all blow over and we will be forced to accept it just like we accepted the 5:00 early traditional dining (which, btw, we apparently demanded.....we did? I didn’t!).  You probably can figure out that I don’t post on here very often....even though I have lots of Princess cruises under my belt. I would say this is because I am usually a happy camper (uh, cruiser) and for many years I have considered Princess my go-to line.....like an old friend.  I am rethinking the friendship.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

and apparently fakebook also ...

I added my second ever Facebook post (in 5 years) on this subject in the Princess Cruises Facebook page.  Could be another avenue for expressing our concern....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, swomom said:

Hi folks, I have already posted once here about my October cruise on the Grand to Hawaii.....had the small table, but no barrel chair.  I have emailed Ms. Swartz....got a courteous call back essentially saying I was mistaken, cabins in categories less than minis had never had the chairs😲.  And was told that on my future cruises there would be no chair. I am now a widow and pay exactly two times as much...and get even less.  Since that time I have emailed Ms. Swartz again, as well as sent paper copies of screenshots of actual comments here on CC as well as photos of insides and ocean views all showing said chair.....and a count of views and posts here on CC.  Silence from corporate.

I need your help.....how do we make our voices heard?  This is not some whimsical complaint.  This is very real, but I’m afraid that they will assume this will all blow over and we will be forced to accept it just like we accepted the 5:00 early traditional dining (which, btw, we apparently demanded.....we did? I didn’t!).  You probably can figure out that I don’t post on here very often....even though I have lots of Princess cruises under my belt. I would say this is because I am usually a happy camper (uh, cruiser) and for many years I have considered Princess my go-to line.....like an old friend.  I am rethinking the friendship.

How do we make our voices heard? Money talks. I just cancelled my 2020 Australia cruise. Damned if I'm going to fly halfway around the world for a cabin with no place to sit.
Will probably try HAL, owned by the same parent company but at least you get a loveseat in the balcony cabins. Saner management?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAT0303 said:

I added my second ever Facebook post (in 5 years) on this subject in the Princess Cruises Facebook page.  Could be another avenue for expressing our concern....

My DW made a comment on Princess's FB page on this subject and got a reply an hour later to the effect that the chair removal will be fleet wide in the lessor categories and that the ships will have a "limited" number in storage and told her as soon as you get onboard ask your room steward that you would like one, first come first served was mentioned also.

Another thought on this is, let's say one orders room service or breakfast in cabin and shows up and for some reason has to put the food tray on the bed, someone bumps into the bed and all of a sudden the juice, coffee, etc. spills on the bed, you can picture the rest...…. the steward will be busy after hours/before hours if this occurs. Princess may have to replace/wash bedding, maybe change mattress, oh don't forget the inconvenience you'll have to endure, just saying .

Well, I got my call from Princess.  Just about 24 hours since I emailed to Jswartz!!!  Same old bull that everyone else got.  "The new ships NEVER HAD A CHAIR" per the representative that called me back.

I told her that that didn't matter, many people miss the chairs and we would especially miss the chair in our Accessible stateroom since my husband NEEDS the chair with arms to be able to get up.   She said that I could request a chair from the cabin steward, but I asked her if there were no chairs where would the steward get one??

She could not answer.   I also mentioned Cruise Critic and she said many people said they did not miss the chairs so we know that they do monitor Cruise Critic.  

I also mentioned that many people choose Princess because they are traditional, with a Library and many quiet areas.  And I told her that maybe she should think of taking this problem to Corporate!!

Don't know if it will do any good...We will complain when we get onboard in late April and insist on a chair even if they have to go to the Dining Room to get one for us....

Hi Folks ~ I'm sailing on Ruby Princess in July so I'm finding this thread interesting.

But please, if you have any questions about post removals, please contact our community manager - community@cruisecritic.com.  You will get a response.  Remember, you agreed to abide by our Guidelines when you joined Cruise Critic.  Here's a link to those Guidelines:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/.  As a host, I'm here to help ensure our members follow the guidelines and remain a friendly atmosphere.  So please remember, if you have a question, please email the community manager.

THANKS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Money talks. Book Celebrity. 

Yup.  In 2022 I'll be running a 14 day cruise for a social club I'm in (we're doing one next year too, but it's too late to change that one) - mostly older ladies.... and this chair situation makes me think I'll have to go to Cunard instead (they have not only the second chair with arms, but also a table large enough to dine on!) - which is a shame because I like Princess and it's definitely the atmosphere I'd prefer over the other 2 lines..... but the chair will be an important factor for my ladies.

Edited by Obsi

50 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Well, I got my call from Princess.  Just about 24 hours since I emailed to Jswartz!!!  Same old bull that everyone else got.  "The new ships NEVER HAD A CHAIR" per the representative that called me back.

Nonsense. We were on the Royal at the end of November 2018 in a balcony cabin WITH A BARREL CHAIR! What do they gain by continually lying to those of us who cruise often across all class of ships ~ new and old??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have always wanted to try Cunard since people dress up more. Will take a look at what they offer. Have a cruise booked to Norway on Princess for July. Wife is checking other cruise lines to see if we can get a similar itinerary. Will keep you posted. Also some friends on same cruise rethinking it. 

• Like 1

My husband and I were on the Island Princess in December for a Panama Canal cruise (15 days). The first few days were sea days and I wanted to read my book for a while. It was kind of chilly on the balcony so I sat in the desk chair. It wasn’t comfortable but the only other place was the bed. Something didn’t feel right but it wasn’t until I found this thread that I realized what was wrong. No barrel chair!! I really missed it! We did have the little table which we used for Patters, water bottles, setting up for the next day excursion., etc. We kept the garbage can under the table.

We have a cruise scheduled in April in Japan on the Diamond Princess. Those cruises are different so I will make it a point to check the furniture. I will be bringing in a balcony chair and/or the teeny balcony table if needed. We have 2 Princess cruises booked in 2020 and may reconsider. We are Platinum, btw.

Rosa

Please know that I am not being argumentative......but....it is rather hollow victory If I go to another cruise line.  I can do that. I can feel very smug about my decision. But it will not make one smidge of difference to Princess....they will go on without me. My question is....how do we get the chairs back?