Thrifty Couple Celebrity Edge Review Jan 27th to Feb 3

cgolf1

Pre cruise

This cruise was my wife and I, and we are mid to early 40’s. I am also gluten-free which can be a challenge at times in life and especially on a cruise. We enjoy going to the shows and eating supper in the main dining rooms. We have only eaten one supper in a specialty restaurant in our 15 cruises. We like to keep active on a cruise with activities or shows, but do treasure some down time to read and watch the ocean go past. 

This will be pretty detailed and lengthy with pictures, so it will be spread out over multiple days. My goal will be to have a hits and misses summary at the end, but I will talk about those as I go too. I will do my best to answer all questions, and would request that you either quote or tag me when you have a question to make it easier for me to find.

I apologize about the font size, but this is what copying from the notes feature on my ipad gives me. I need my ipad because I have an app that shrinks the photos so they can be posted on the forum.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Hoping to get a few posts up tonight, just downloading around 2000 pictures before the super bowl gets started.

Take your time and bring back some great memories as you grab the pictures you will be posting.    Can you imagine what it would have cost back in the years that you had to bring a roll of film in to be developed.   

• Like 3

We had an uneventful flight down, my wife wasn’t a fan of the small pocket of turbulence we hit. Attached a photo from the plane just a bit before the sun made it over the horizon. After waiting on hold for quite a while we got hold of the hotel shuttle and were dropped off at the Quality Inn hotels and suites airport/cruise port South in Hollywood. We got there around noon and the place was a zoo. We prechecked in and they took our phone number and called us when our room was ready. We could have had them hold our bags, but they were held in the breakfast and free coffee all day room that anyone could walk into, not a locked area like other hotels.

As for the hotel itself, it was older with doors that opened to the outside of the building where anyone could access from the driveway. The room wasn’t great but did it’s job. For what we payed I had higher expectations. We would stay there again as a second or third choice not a first.

7D40CFCC-6A6A-4F31-AB7F-F6BE3535D16C.jpeg

Day 1

The hotel had a bus to shuttle us over and the dropped some people off at the Harmony of the Seas and then we were dropped off at the Edge. We got to the terminal around 11 and check in was super easy. As we were walking in they were starting to board the suites and others. Within 10 minutes of walking in the terminal us inside roomers were boarding. Of course the first thing we did when we boarded was to go and get on the call list for an upgrade to aqua class, 21 rooms were open before the closed bookings.

As we walked on our first impressions were that it was a beautifully decorated ship. After following VT’s and others reviews and live threads I felt we knew a little bit how to get around. After we were done at guest relations we headed up to our room to drop off our carry ons. This is the best, other lines need to catch on and do the same. So much easier to deal with the buffet.

2E911AB7-71C4-4A9B-AE85-D4C1F4E7C408.jpeg

08A25A23-658E-40D0-B21E-E4473D9103C6.jpeg

F4AA3CC4-8256-43D9-A2D4-D68C3CE98DEE.jpeg

When we went to the buffet I discovered a game changer for me and dealing with with being gluten free. On the other lines I have sailed I would always have to get the attention of the chef and have them walk me around and show me what is safe. Not on Celebrity, they have most things on the buffet marked to tell me wether it is gluten free or not. 

To some this may seem silly, but for some of us this is a big deal. It made me feel like a normal passenger. More on this later...

80B899CC-A1E7-4F89-BA60-61D985A269E2.jpeg

BE9CC31E-CFE8-4BCE-91C6-F0BDCC1BFB99.jpeg

• Like 4

Day 1 Room

Have to say that we were blown away by our room, 10168. To get into the room you need to key into an outer door and then key into your room. The hang up storage had more than enough room for the clothes we brought with and we didn’t come close to filling the drawers and cabinet with our other clothes and other essentials. I am not sure if the veranda rooms have less storage or it’s just that we pack less than others. The lounger in the room made a nice storage are for clothes as we changed for meals and our coats during the day. I used the tom tom to set my PJs on.

169457C3-E1DE-4FA8-BB44-FE96E5943CCB.jpeg

3FB36858-D27D-43DB-8D58-9E1987FCB6CF.jpeg

7380E990-044D-41FC-B2E9-5BC0021E2708.jpeg

BCA42157-B601-40CB-9C20-8ECFD42DC080.jpeg

61FAC490-AC19-4AC0-86D6-E446BAE11675.jpeg

FF1AF4AD-43C5-416B-9C5A-D18BD417D835.jpeg

• Like 1

The bathroom was very nice. There were hooks to hang our toiletries bag on and enough shelving to hold the items we used everyday. The shower was amazing. There was room to move and the shower head was removable. Overall this was the nicest inside room we have stayed in. We did get an offer to upgrade to aqua class, and the total would have been quite a bit under what the final prices, not sure what they were at the time we booked our inside room. We stuck with the inside room and are very glad we did.

5AE96BA4-9958-49A0-8B76-7D2F8F40046F.jpeg

2A6591FA-95E0-4CC8-A475-1AD24C3BA7CF.jpeg

I will end today with a funny post. On the last night as I was walking down the hall to go to the show one of the rockers was out in the hall. I figured it was out there in case anyone needed a rest;) Later it was moved further down the hall and eventually disappeared. 

I will look at the day 1 daily planner and get a post or two ready for tomorrow night. Unfortunately I don’t think I will be able to post pics of the daily planners. We used them to write down notes about what we liked and disliked. 

7649CD05-3DBE-4D86-A791-6E68205942D3.jpeg

• Haha 2

Great post.   One question for you.  You indicated that you had to open an outer door and then your room door.   I don't quite understand where the outer door would be.   Is this a connecting cabin where you would have an outer door and then an inner door to both cabins?

Thank you for your honest review.

If you don’t mind, can you tell me how much the offer was for the upgrade?  We are also in an inside and I have not been on one, scared if it is claustrophobic. I have read that the size of an ocean view is the same as the deluxe inside which is 202 sq ft

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Great post.   One question for you.  You indicated that you had to open an outer door and then your room door.   I don't quite understand where the outer door would be.   Is this a connecting cabin where you would have an outer door and then an inner door to both cabins?

Edit

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

So if you look at the deck plan, some sky suites have a hallway off the main hallway that a majority of the rooms open up from. The more square shaped inside rooms share this hallway. The top picture is the view from the main hallway after we used our keycard to get in the door, the door with happy Birthday is the sky suite. Our door was on the left in a 2 to 3 foot hallway. 

Hope this describes it good enough, tough to write out. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

So if you look at the deck plan, some sky suites have a hallway off the main hallway that a majority of the rooms open up from. The more square shaped inside rooms share this hallway. The top picture is the view from the main hallway after we used our keycard to get in the door, the door with happy Birthday is the sky suite. Our door was on the left in a 2 to 3 foot hallway. 

Hope this describes it good enough, tough to write out. 

I've seen those before and is quite nice.    The Op is in an inside and when I looked at the deck plan it looks like there might be a short hallway off of the main hallway for 4 room possibly they have a similar outer door for those 4 cabins.  From the diagram I couldn't really tell.  

Thanks for taking the time to explain. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jesseslola said:

Thank you for your honest review.

If you don’t mind, can you tell me how much the offer was for the upgrade?  We are also in an inside and I have not been on one, scared if it is claustrophobic. I have read that the size of an ocean view is the same as the deluxe inside which is 202 sq ft

The best advice I can pass on, is to ask when you board. It all depends on how many cabins are available. The price will fluctuate based on availability. 

We have done everything from concierge verandas on Disney to inside rooms. Realistically all ship staterooms could be viewed as claustrophobic. The big difference we see between an ocean view or veranda and an inside room is no sunlight to wake you up in an inside room. 

Also think about how much time you plan on spending in the room. If it is a lot, then a bigger room might be better. If the room won’t be used for much more than sleeping than an inside might be a better and cheaper option 

Thank you, cgolf1. I am used to a balcony/ junior in RC. It will be a big shock but we are going in the meds this August and the prices are just unbelievable. It is like 7cdn per person. I was offered an upgrade to a small ocean view for 1 k per person. Maybe I will just wait and see. If I can’t get it, I guess I will just learn how to go out and enjoy the sea view from eden. It is a family of 25 going..so no excuse not to go!

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Pre cruise

This cruise was my wife and I, and we are mid to early 40’s. I am also gluten-free which can be a challenge at times in life and especially on a cruise. We enjoy going to the shows and eating supper in the main dining rooms. We have only eaten one supper in a specialty restaurant in our 15 cruises. We like to keep active on a cruise with activities or shows, but do treasure some down time to read and watch the ocean go past. 

This will be pretty detailed and lengthy with pictures, so it will be spread out over multiple days. My goal will be to have a hits and misses summary at the end, but I will talk about those as I go too. I will do my best to answer all questions, and would request that you either quote or tag me when you have a question to make it easier for me to find.

I apologize about the font size, but this is what copying from the notes feature on my ipad gives me. I need my ipad because I have an app that shrinks the photos so they can be posted on the forum.

I've been waiting for your review. Looking forward to following along!! 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cgolf1 said:
When we went to the buffet I discovered a game changer for me and dealing with with being gluten free. On the other lines I have sailed I would always have to get the attention of the chef and have them walk me around and show me what is safe. Not on Celebrity, they have most things on the buffet marked to tell me wether it is gluten free or not. 

To some this may seem silly, but for some of us this is a big deal. It made me feel like a normal passenger. More on this later...

80B899CC-A1E7-4F89-BA60-61D985A269E2.jpeg

BE9CC31E-CFE8-4BCE-91C6-F0BDCC1BFB99.jpeg

Thanks for taking us on this journey.  This in particular blows me away. I hope they roll this out fleet wide. I have been Gluten free for a while now and have no problem with Celebrity on the Summit, they have been fantastic. However, now I find myself having to be dairy and sugar free (fun right ?)  This would great if they have this on the "new and improved" Summit on our May sailing. 

• Like 3

Day 1 Ship Exploration

Day 1 was spent getting to know the ship. I of course had to visit Mr Edge, and on the last night gave him a gentle pat on the nose on our last lap around the track. We ventured out onto the Magic Carpet briefly and then got some pictures of the pool area. From a deck up the main pool doesn’t really look that big, but when you stand next too it you can appreciate how big it really is. We took a look at the Martini hot tubs too. They were nice, and had a great view, so I would say keep one or both on the next build, but please put a hot tub on the resort deck. We like to swim a bit and then hop in the hot tub, but didn’t do that with the main pool because it is a hike to get too the hot tubs.

622CB713-B45C-4AFB-B06A-9E0B31FC2C6B.jpeg

904B9404-36E7-4DDE-8EC4-8371017CD4DA.jpeg

5E8E79FC-8D91-4644-8973-DF67658B5F95.jpeg

2FC4267F-AD1B-47B1-B341-EE3D667FBDEF.jpeg

8D1E64F5-96ED-4C71-9E3A-A1C870FEE391.jpeg

12 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

Thanks for taking us on this journey. This in particular blows me away. I hope they roll this out fleet wide. I have been Gluten free for a while now and have no problem with Celebrity on the Summit, they have been fantastic. However, now I find myself having to be dairy and sugar free (fun right ?) This would great if they have this on the "new and improved" Summit on our May sailing.

Your Welcome. I am hoping that not only fleet wide, but the full company too. We have a cruise booked on RCCL and fingers crossed that they have something similar when our cruise date arrives.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

Thanks for taking us on this journey.  This in particular blows me away. I hope they roll this out fleet wide. I have been Gluten free for a while now and have no problem with Celebrity on the Summit, they have been fantastic. However, now I find myself having to be dairy and sugar free (fun right ?)  This would great if they have this on the "new and improved" Summit on our May sailing. 

I am Dairy Intolerant and Celebrity have been using symbols for at least 5 years( well at least in the MDR).

26 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

I too am sugar-free and, while aboard Silhouette in late November, noticed that they had significantly improved the food descriptions in The Oceanview Café as to dietary considerations...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Day 1 Room

Have to say that we were blown away by our room, 10168. To get into the room you need to key into an outer door and then key into your room. The hang up storage had more than enough room for the clothes we brought with and we didn’t come close to filling the drawers and cabinet with our other clothes and other essentials. I am not sure if the veranda rooms have less storage or it’s just that we pack less than others. The lounger in the room made a nice storage are for clothes as we changed for meals and our coats during the day. I used the tom tom to set my PJs on.

169457C3-E1DE-4FA8-BB44-FE96E5943CCB.jpeg

3FB36858-D27D-43DB-8D58-9E1987FCB6CF.jpeg

7380E990-044D-41FC-B2E9-5BC0021E2708.jpeg

BCA42157-B601-40CB-9C20-8ECFD42DC080.jpeg

61FAC490-AC19-4AC0-86D6-E446BAE11675.jpeg

FF1AF4AD-43C5-416B-9C5A-D18BD417D835.jpeg

TY for your thoughtful review.

Between the time you boarded with an inside room-- Did GS give you any idea on if you'd be offered and upgrade? How long before you got moved?  

BTW- since you upgraded to a Suite-- do you get the points for suite class? 

TYIA

Edited by Fogfog