Thrifty Couple Celebrity Edge Review Jan 27th to Feb 3

cgolf1

6 minutes ago, Jesseslola said:

Hi cgolf1,

Did you notice if the laundry bag is cloth or plastic?

Thanks

AQ class was cloth,..we also bring our own plastic one...and use the cloth  one to send out the laundry( Elite perk)

8 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I have been using the PhotoShrinker app. I email my DSLR pictures to my iPad and use the app to shrink them to a size that works for CC. 

11 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

The interior exposed wall:)

9DD0603C-A820-48FB-BDE3-09B769DEB7D1.jpeg

D065B759-27D7-4609-911E-DE7292E51BDF.jpeg

Glad you posted these...I asked Vt cruiser to post mine but now she  won't have to..

What were your thoughts about these panels?

50 minutes ago, hcat said:

I found my 2 photos of this area ( hope they are worth it  hard to visualize it all)  but  I have no way to post on CC if the shots first came from my camera....even if they were re sized.

.I will ask for help but may be awhile .  I was very moved by these long panels.. hard to graspn that from that raw material..came such a marvelous creation! So glad the creators  keft this artifact.

I also have a new idea for oyr bext time on EDGE.  .We did the tour, a cabin crawl and flitted aroud the ship.  In Nov, we are going to  do a deck by deck walk by...non suite and non AQ areas.... so we have a better sense of the ship!

Here are hcat's pictures of the exposed wall:

352306262_openwall1.jpg.5afaf47bd2246d59db5ae75c4464a9ef.jpg1838529911_openwall2.thumb.jpg.395ac7b9d14cacbb2cad156f2e956e8d.jpg

edit: too late!😉 - you can't have too many exposed wall pictures, though you really have to see it and touch it to appreciate it, IMO. An amazing feature of the ship - one of many unique things! I wonder what they are plotting for Apex. 😉

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I have been using the PhotoShrinker app. I email my DSLR pictures to my iPad and use the app to shrink them to a size that works for CC. 

I will try it...thanks for the tip

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad you posted these...I asked Vt cruiser to post mine but now she  won't have to..

What were your thoughts about these panels?

I thought it was really cool, and surprisingly really happy it was an interior wall. I am guessing they couldn’t do that with an exterior wall for fear of someone would mess with it. 

Overall there were soo many small details on the ship that were really cool. I am sure that I missed a bunch of them. I really felt like I missed a bunch of pictures even though I took a lot;) It is a very beautiful and unique ship. 

16 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here are hcat's pictures of the exposed wall:

352306262_openwall1.jpg.5afaf47bd2246d59db5ae75c4464a9ef.jpg1838529911_openwall2.thumb.jpg.395ac7b9d14cacbb2cad156f2e956e8d.jpg

edit: too late!😉 - you can't have too many exposed wall pictures, though you really have to see it and touch it to appreciate it, IMO. An amazing feature of the ship - one of many unique things! I wonder what they are plotting for Apex. 😉

I can’t wait to see what they will do with Apex, guessing it too will have some unique touches. The build thread that was started hasn’t had any posts in a while. Hopefully it gets going again. 

16 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I can’t wait to see what they will do with Apex, guessing it too will have some unique touches. The build thread that was started hasn’t had any posts in a while. Hopefully it gets going again. 

I wish Lloyd would come back!! 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Ah, he's with another lady...😉

Indeed he is. Hopefully he’ll be back to the Apex build.

We have booked a cruise on the other lady in a “Cheeky Corner Suite”, it should be quite an experience.

Hope you and Henry are doing well and staying warm. Spring has arrived here 🤧 pollen warnings everyday.  Katie

Edited by Oville

16 minutes ago, Oville said:

Indeed he is. Hopefully he’ll be back to the Apex build.

We have booked a cruise on the other lady in a “Cheeky Corner Suite”, it should be quite an experience.

Hope you and Henry are doing well and staying warm. Spring has arrived here 🤧 pollen warnings everyday.  Katie

Sounds like fun! Can't wait to hear how you like your CCS.

No pollen here ...another foot of snow coming tomorrow. Luckily we have our Flower Power Cruise to look forward to - getting out the tie dye and bell bottoms. It will probably will be our last cruise on an old-style M Class ship (Infinity). 😁

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

cggolf1 - Thanks so much for your daily review and your hit and miss lists.  Very informative.

You’re welcome. I tried to be fair on the hits and misses, while keeping it true to how we felt about the trip. We have yet to have a perfect cruise vacation, we just make the best of it and forget the misses till the trip report:)

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

You’re welcome. I tried to be fair on the hits and misses, while keeping it true to how we felt about the trip. We have yet to have a perfect cruise vacation, we just make the best of it and forget the misses till the trip report:)

I just want to say Thank You very much. It was refreshing on getting the views from someone else that hasn't cruised on Celebrity before. I am 48, my GF 50. Your tastes in music, etc... seem to be in line with ours. We will be on the Edge at the end of March. I'm excited for the shows and music, now. One question, We have the early dining. Can you just decide to go to any one of the different MDR's at will? Or, how do you know which MDR you are supposed to be in? I would love to try the different ones. Thanks again for the great review.

1 hour ago, FireEMT978 said:

I just want to say Thank You very much. It was refreshing on getting the views from someone else that hasn't cruised on Celebrity before. I am 48, my GF 50. Your tastes in music, etc... seem to be in line with ours. We will be on the Edge at the end of March. I'm excited for the shows and music, now. One question, We have the early dining. Can you just decide to go to any one of the different MDR's at will? Or, how do you know which MDR you are supposed to be in? I would love to try the different ones. Thanks again for the great review.

You’re welcome. We did my time dining which allowed us to pick our time and dining room every night. We ate at 6 every night except one. I believe if you choose early or late dining they put you in one of the 4 dining rooms for every night. Hopefully some one else can help out here on whether or not you can choose a different dining room on some nights. 

Have a great trip. 

For fans of Michael Redden, he has an album on iTunes. I looked for the Reckless Charms, but they don’t have anything on there yet. I did like when he performed that he mixed in his original work with some covers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FireEMT978 said:

This from the Edge Dining FAQs, though maybe someone will jump in who has had actual experience with it - I'm not sure how easy it has been to go to different restaurants if you have traditional dining, but I know I have read that at least one person was able to do it:

-If you choose Traditional, you will be assigned one of the 4 dining rooms with the same table and waiter. Celebrity will assign the restaurant - the restaurant assignment will be in your stateroom on Day 1.

-Guests may request to dine in a different main dining room, based on availability - you will have a waiter that works in that dining room for that night (waiters stay in their assigned dining rooms). You can also request change to another dining room for the whole cruise, based on availability.

-If you want to request to be assigned to a particular MDR, it is suggested that you email CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and they will forward the request to the ship and try to accommodate you.

Edited by vtcruising

47 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

This from the Edge Dining FAQs, though maybe someone will jump in who has had actual experience with it - I'm not sure how easy it has been to go to different restaurants if you have traditional dining, but I know I have read that at least one person was able to do it:

-If you choose Traditional, you will be assigned one of the 4 dining rooms with the same table and waiter. Celebrity will assign the restaurant - the restaurant assignment will be in your stateroom on Day 1.

-Guests may request to dine in a different main dining room, based on availability - you will have a waiter that works in that dining room for that night (waiters stay in their assigned dining rooms). You can also request change to another dining room for the whole cruise, based on availability.

-If you want to request to be assigned to a particular MDR, it is suggested that you email CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and they will forward the request to the ship and try to accommodate you.

We had a last minute booking on the Dec. 16th cruise (6 days to be exact!) and had no choice but fixed dining late seating. In the stateroom is a card that shows your assigned dining room (Photo attached). We immediately went down to see if we could change to Select Dining but was told that it was full and we couldn't change. We asked about dining at the other dining rooms and were told you can TRY to go and see if there's space available at your assigned time, but that could only be done each day and the chances were probably slim. They said that our assigned table will always be available. So they way they posed it was we could try to go to another dining room at our assigned late seating time of 8:30 and see if we could be accommodated.  We decided not to do that. If you're on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary San Juan would be the perfect time to try to eat at a different place. At our Late seating on that port stop the dining room was only 40% full. But since we were happy with our service and food, we didn't even think about trying another place. When we board again on April 15th, we will definitely try to dine at different places!

IMG_20181222_171949661.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

I do want to add that our college age daughter was home this weekend and looked at all our photos from the Edge. She hasn’t wanted to cruise with us on RCCL and her only cruises were on Disney. She really seemed to like the look of the ship. 

We were shocked when she said she would be interested in going on the Apex with us, if it worked out with her job, should be graduated by then. This is a win for us, as it would be a blast to have her along. To me it says Celebrity is doing something right to, to get a younger crowd interested. It did help having 2 cheerleaders talking about all the great food and music on the ship;)

I will say now that we have talked to my in-laws and daughter about the ship, I realize that we had an even better time then I thought. It reminds me of our first Disney Cruise where we were really excited to tell everyone about it:)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I do want to add that our college age daughter was home this weekend and looked at all our photos from the Edge. She hasn’t wanted to cruise with us on RCCL and her only cruises were on Disney. She really seemed to like the look of the ship. 

We were shocked when she said she would be interested in going on the Apex with us, if it worked out with her job, should be graduated by then. This is a win for us, as it would be a blast to have her along. To me it says Celebrity is doing something right to, to get a younger crowd interested. It did help having 2 cheerleaders talking about all the great food and music on the ship;)

I will say now that we have talked to my in-laws and daughter about the ship, I realize that we had an even better time then I thought. It reminds me of our first Disney Cruise where we were really excited to tell everyone about it:)

I love to hear that. My daughter is 19. She's a little jealous of our upcoming Edge cruise in March.

She said that she would rather have been on the Edge, than the RCI cruises on Enchantment and Navigator that we had previously done. I think that Celebrity is smart, in the majority of the changes, for a younger demographic. Thanks for helping to get me more "Pumped" for our next!

• Like 1

Our family loves the Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships. We have been in Oasis a few times, in Allure, in Harmony and in 2020 in Symphony. We also love the Freedom class but cannot seem to get away from the Oasis class.

FireEmt978, has your daughter tried the Oasis class? She would love it. We are a bit worried that our teens might not like our upcoming 11 days Amalfi cruise on the Edge, being used to all the activities in the Oasis class especially Harmony. I have not seen a lot of activities on the reviews that would catch their attention. Which is why we made sure that we have excursions booked every stop so they don’t get bored.

47 minutes ago, Jesseslola said:

Our family loves the Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships. We have been in Oasis a few times, in Allure, in Harmony and in 2020 in Symphony. We also love the Freedom class but cannot seem to get away from the Oasis class.

FireEmt978, has your daughter tried the Oasis class? She would love it. We are a bit worried that our teens might not like our upcoming 11 days Amalfi cruise on the Edge, being used to all the activities in the Oasis class especially Harmony. I have not seen a lot of activities on the reviews that would catch their attention. Which is why we made sure that we have excursions booked every stop so they don’t get bored.

I'm actually looking at hopefully booking the Harmony next January, during her Christmas vacation from college. None of us have done an Oasis Class ship. I think, we all would absolutely love it. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 9:42 PM, cgolf1 said:

So if you look at the deck plan, some sky suites have a hallway off the main hallway that a majority of the rooms open up from. The more square shaped inside rooms share this hallway. The top picture is the view from the main hallway after we used our keycard to get in the door, the door with happy Birthday is the sky suite. Our door was on the left in a 2 to 3 foot hallway. 

Hope this describes it good enough, tough to write out. 

Did you experiance any noise from the outer hallway door,  passage wayl or any other noise ? Would you reccomend the next I/S cat which is only $20 more per cabin?  Also Fwd, Mid  location? Thanks in advance.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:27 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Great post.   One question for you.  You indicated that you had to open an outer door and then your room door.   I don't quite understand where the outer door would be.   Is this a connecting cabin where you would have an outer door and then an inner door to both cabins?

Was there any noise issue with the outer door or the cabin along side the passage walk way?  Thanks in advance.