Cruise Critic Community

I was making a booking for Symphony for March 2020 I got to the final page luckily I read the refund policy.  When did Royal Caribbean start the policy that if you cancel anytime you forfeit your deposit?  The last time I cruised Royal I had until 100 or 90 days before cruise to get full refund. Now you have to pay more to select your cabin?? What other fun things am I missing or need to know about? 

Edited by Lorey2007

There is an option for refundable deposit if you are selecting a stateroom category less than a Grand Suite.

If you are using Royal's website, you have to enter all the passenger names before you get to a screen that allows you to select refundable deposit.

I selected a cabin with large balcony for a increased rate but I did not see the option for a refundable deposit. I'll check again.  This is what I see on the Summary to the right of where I would fill out guest names.

TOTAL
$3,407.20
Minimum Deposit
$500.00

Cancellation Policy

If you cancel your reservation after a specific date, you may be subject to cancellation charges.

Cancel After Penalty
Today Minimum Deposit
December 23, 2019 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded) / person
January 6, 2020 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded) / person
February 5, 2020 No refund except for taxes & fees
Edited by Lorey2007

It has always cost more to select a specific cabin than to go with a guarantee, always. 

26 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

There is an option for refundable deposit if you are selecting a stateroom category less than a Grand Suite.

If you are using Royal's website, you have to enter all the passenger names before you get to a screen that allows you to select refundable deposit.

Yes thank you but there is now a added $275 fee for that refundable deposit and the $116 to select my cabin.:classic_ohmy:

16 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Yes thank you but there is now a added $275 fee for that refundable deposit and the $116 to select my cabin.:classic_ohmy:

That's correct, refundable deposit fares are normally higher.  Welcome to the new Royal Caribbean, where no effort is spared to separate you from your last nickel.

18 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

That’s why it’s cheaper to book a NRD. 

22 minutes ago, gerif said:

It has always cost more to select a specific cabin than to go with a guarantee, always. 

Not so last Royal cruise 2014 no extra charge to select cabin.

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s why it’s cheaper to book a NRD. 

Whats a NRD?

2 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Probably when you booked that cruise there were no guarantees offered.  Had there been guarantees they would have been cheaper.

27 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

In my experience, guarantee categories have vitually always been less expensive than picking a specific stateroom.  This has been the case long before non-refundable deposits.

You can thank those seasoned cruisers who held cabins for place markers and various other reasons with no intent of using, for the NRD. 

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

In my experience, guarantee categories have vitually always been less expensive than picking a specifici stateroom.  This has been the case long before non-refundable deposits.

Yes I understand that about guarantees. The last time  I booked there was a price listed for a gurantee and a price listed for other categories without a additional fee to select a cabin within a category. 

Just a way to charge more like the airlines I'll know now what all I have to factor in.  Pretty soon there will be a fee to check bags at the curb and a fee for bags. What's next.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Probably when you booked that cruise there were no guarantees offered.  Had there been guarantees they would have been cheaper.

Not always true, I've seen anomalies 

Realize that you lose $100 per person of the deposit if you change the ship or sailing date.

If your deposit is more than $100, any excess is given as a Future Cruise Credit.

11 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Yes I understand that about guarantees. The last time  I booked there was a price listed for a gurantee and a price listed for other categories without a additional fee to select a cabin within a category. 

Just a way to charge more like the airlines I'll know now what all I have to factor in.  Pretty soon there will be a fee to check bags at the curb and a fee for bags. What's next.

Pretty cynical.  If you book a cabin at the cheaper rate and let the cruise line select, you are booking a "guarantee cabin."  If you don't want to take the crap shoot of cabin selection, and want to pick your own, you pay a higher fee.  Why is that so offensive to you?  It gives you an option to save money or pick your own cabin, whatever seems more important to you.  

By the way, there is a "fee" to check bags at the curb....it's called "tipping the porters."  

I noted the " new " cancel today penalty of deposit as well when looking to book our annual Holiday cruise. I was searching online but book with my TA. Contacted him and he advised that there was a refundable rate, higher naturally. He also advised there is also a CHANGE rate of $100. He was trying to clarify if that applied to changed rate, date, or what. I have already had a line apply a change charge when trying to take advantage of a lower rate. They considered that a CHANGE negating the lower rate. That change was PP by the way not booking.

We enjoy RCL ( travel multiple lines ) but do find them higher priced without real appreciable increase in service or value. As D Plus we figure some of that higher price is negated for us in some bennies we appreciate, but not truly negated. As all the lines continue to follow the air industry model of charging for more and more, giving less and less, I await to see what the breaking point is for most cruisers.

You might recall final pay time frames from pastas well have been increasing. Once was 30, the 60 days now often 75 or 90 days before cruise for final pay. We love to cruise, at one time planned to spend 60 in winter onboard cruise ships. Gave that idea up now. Also used to HOLD a booking for 3 days and usually simple to extend before making decision. Now 24 hours....

Anyway in this case our decision was simple. KEEP IT! We are booking a Florida stay on land instead. More time in actual sun during the winter holiday season since we often sail from NY NJ MD ports in winter. Doing that the number of warm days is minimal as cold leaving and coming back. Maybe cruise out of Florida while down there as last minute or something.

The lines attempt to lock us into a cruise has had the opposite effect for us. I will revert to last minute bookings if available.

George in NY

3 hours ago, Georgeny said:

I noted the " new " cancel today penalty of deposit as well when looking to book our annual Holiday cruise. I was searching online but book with my TA. Contacted him and he advised that there was a refundable rate, higher naturally. He also advised there is also a CHANGE rate of $100. He was trying to clarify if that applied to changed rate, date, or what. I have already had a line apply a change charge when trying to take advantage of a lower rate. They considered that a CHANGE negating the lower rate. That change was PP by the way not booking.

We enjoy RCL ( travel multiple lines ) but do find them higher priced without real appreciable increase in service or value. As D Plus we figure some of that higher price is negated for us in some bennies we appreciate, but not truly negated. As all the lines continue to follow the air industry model of charging for more and more, giving less and less, I await to see what the breaking point is for most cruisers.

You might recall final pay time frames from pastas well have been increasing. Once was 30, the 60 days now often 75 or 90 days before cruise for final pay. We love to cruise, at one time planned to spend 60 in winter onboard cruise ships. Gave that idea up now. Also used to HOLD a booking for 3 days and usually simple to extend before making decision. Now 24 hours....

Anyway in this case our decision was simple. KEEP IT! We are booking a Florida stay on land instead. More time in actual sun during the winter holiday season since we often sail from NY NJ MD ports in winter. Doing that the number of warm days is minimal as cold leaving and coming back. Maybe cruise out of Florida while down there as last minute or something.

The lines attempt to lock us into a cruise has had the opposite effect for us. I will revert to last minute bookings if available.

George in NY

There is only the charge of $100pp  to change ship or sail date and that only applies to non refundable deposits.  

There is is no charge to change cabins or request a lower price before final payment with the non refundable deposits.  I have personally done this numerous times for both myself and clients.  

Travel agents can still get holds that are up to a week long.  It depends on how close to sailing you are.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 hours ago, Georgeny said:

George in NY

You were given incorrect info- like Ken said the change fee is $100 pp for changing ship and/or date.  No change fee for a price drop on the same sailing you are booked on.  Also no change fee to downgrade or upgrade your cabin category if it's on the shame ship and date

17 hours ago, molly361 said:

You were given incorrect info- like Ken said the change fee is $100 pp for changing ship and/or date.  No change fee for a price drop on the same sailing you are booked on.  Also no change fee to downgrade or upgrade your cabin category if it's on the shame ship and date

Molly, Not incorrect actually, EVER CHANGING. You may find one policy on one sailing and another policy on another sailing. If there is anything consistent about reservation policies, or extend it to cruise line policies, it is there inconsistency of policies. You may find one regarding one sailing, another regarding a different sailing. One policy while a " sale " is on another when " regular " pricing is being used, between sales. One policy on a January after holidays cruise and another on a holiday cruise. Much the same as hotel reservations. In the recent case I mentioned this was the 2019 holiday cruises of the RCL Anthem and the Grandeur of The Seas.

With the advent of the online pricing/sales and the now cruiseline business model of " economy of size. " Varied policies must be used during the booking of a ship and date. In example, a holiday cruise on many ships will be purchased and filled fairly early in the year. This creates a limited space and tighter policy for THAT booking. An end of January sailing is hard to fill, creates an eased policy towards holds and rates etc. The nature of the business now. 

In the 80's and early 90's the common sales practice was brochure mailings listing prices as $5000 pp for a cruise. This of course was slashed for TWO for ONE sales. Buy one second half price etc etc etc.

I guess what I am trying to say is that pricing policies have only some generality, they change constantly, vary always, and are designed to confuse in general. Say NCL followed by others, how can you say you get FREE drinks and 4 other things when you look at the pricing. Pay x dollars and you pick TWO FREE items. Pay more X dollars and you pick 3 things, and so on. That doesn't constitute FREE in my book.

So I was merely quoting current policy regarding the cruise I wished to purchase. If Anthem sailings get impacted by recent flu event the policies will change to reflect harder bookings.

George in NY

6 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

Molly, Not incorrect actually, EVER CHANGING. You may find one policy on one sailing and another policy on another sailing. If there is anything consistent about reservation policies, or extend it to cruise line policies, it is there inconsistency of policies. You may find one regarding one sailing, another regarding a different sailing. One policy while a " sale " is on another when " regular " pricing is being used, between sales. One policy on a January after holidays cruise and another on a holiday cruise. Much the same as hotel reservations. In the recent case I mentioned this was the 2019 holiday cruises of the RCL Anthem and the Grandeur of The Seas.

With the advent of the online pricing/sales and the now cruiseline business model of " economy of size. " Varied policies must be used during the booking of a ship and date. In example, a holiday cruise on many ships will be purchased and filled fairly early in the year. This creates a limited space and tighter policy for THAT booking. An end of January sailing is hard to fill, creates an eased policy towards holds and rates etc. The nature of the business now. 

In the 80's and early 90's the common sales practice was brochure mailings listing prices as $5000 pp for a cruise. This of course was slashed for TWO for ONE sales. Buy one second half price etc etc etc.

I guess what I am trying to say is that pricing policies have only some generality, they change constantly, vary always, and are designed to confuse in general. Say NCL followed by others, how can you say you get FREE drinks and 4 other things when you look at the pricing. Pay x dollars and you pick TWO FREE items. Pay more X dollars and you pick 3 things, and so on. That doesn't constitute FREE in my book.

So I was merely quoting current policy regarding the cruise I wished to purchase. If Anthem sailings get impacted by recent flu event the policies will change to reflect harder bookings.

George in NY

I have never found the price change policy to vary.  It has changed in the past couple years however the current policy applies to all ships and sailings. (For North American bookings)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is only the charge of $100pp  to change ship or sail date and that only applies to non refundable deposits.  

There is is no charge to change cabins or request a lower price before final payment with the non refundable deposits.  I have personally done this numerous times for both myself and clients.  

Travel agents can still get holds that are up to a week long.  It depends on how close to sailing you are.

I am an advocate of using an agent to book, preferably an agent that sails themselves not just does walk on's. Although the tenacity of a good agent can be very helpful, it is more the percentage of booking and date that impact what any agent or person can or cannot do for a booking. A booking hold can be for 3 hrs to an extended and re-extended time frame. Why, simply because they have a limited or many cabins available. Or it can be category. Anyone in the business will tell you the FIRST cabins to sell are highest and lowest cats. It's all those middle cats that need be filled. If they have one cabin available in a popular segment they are not going to extend you a week hold. If they only have one cabin booked in an unpopular segment, want a week hold, sure no problem.

Agents are wonderful and I never book without using one. IF they are a good agent and one that is very familiar with cruising they are many aware of what can be done concerning a particular line or ship. They can often size up a reservationist and know when to oops drop a call and call back to get another. Like agents some reservationist also know what they can and cannot do. Some lines extend more flexibility to reservationists.

Many of the CC members know as much or more than many agents out there, yet many still use an agent. I pick my sailing, my cabin, and so forth yet after I have done the work I still have my agent take the booking. Then they can keep up with changes, argue on my behalf etc. If they don't then they stink as an agent!

George in NY

6 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

I am an advocate of using an agent to book, preferably an agent that sails themselves not just does walk on's. Although the tenacity of a good agent can be very helpful, it is more the percentage of booking and date that impact what any agent or person can or cannot do for a booking. A booking hold can be for 3 hrs to an extended and re-extended time frame. Why, simply because they have a limited or many cabins available. Or it can be category. Anyone in the business will tell you the FIRST cabins to sell are highest and lowest cats. It's all those middle cats that need be filled. If they have one cabin available in a popular segment they are not going to extend you a week hold. If they only have one cabin booked in an unpopular segment, want a week hold, sure no problem.

Agents are wonderful and I never book without using one. IF they are a good agent and one that is very familiar with cruising they are many aware of what can be done concerning a particular line or ship. They can often size up a reservationist and know when to oops drop a call and call back to get another. Like agents some reservationist also know what they can and cannot do. Some lines extend more flexibility to reservationists.

Many of the CC members know as much or more than many agents out there, yet many still use an agent. I pick my sailing, my cabin, and so forth yet after I have done the work I still have my agent take the booking. Then they can keep up with changes, argue on my behalf etc. If they don't then they stink as an agent!

George in NY

Not sure where you are getting the 3 hours from but as a travel agent I have personally had many cabins on hold for customers for 7 days. That then we're able to be extended for another 7 days.   I've also had cabins close to sail date that I could only out a 24 hour hold on and could only be extended once.