Cruise Critic Community

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

You can thank those seasoned cruisers who held cabins for place markers and various other reasons with no intent of using, for the NRD. 

This is probably true, but people do this on all the cruise lines and Royal is still the only line that has a NRD as the default booking option - well, at least of the lines I price.  I know there are people who like it but I hate it.  When trying to tell other people about the cruise we've got booked in October, I always have to say "be sure to choose refundable rate at the end".  If they're going to have refundable and non-refundable, can they please go back to letting us pick it at the beginning?  Having to enter all the passengers info to get to the screen to choose it is such a pain!

You prove my point, you range from 24 one extended hold to 7 days. The determining factor is how percentage of open cabins. popularity of date or ship etc. Rate and change fee ( something fairly new ) same determination.

I booked Adventure for May of last year in Feb of last year. Received a J4 Jr Suite $4198 discounted for non refundable at $2578 for two people. Perfectly except-able, offered why, numerous open cabins. But doing a non-refundable deposit as a general policy and on all sailings is fairly NEW as a general policy! Of course this is now coupled with ENHANCED  cancellation insurance packages.

No matter certainly changes the way I book. I do not want to be locked in too early on any particular cruise by a forfeited deposit.

George in NY

18 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

This is probably true, but people do this on all the cruise lines and Royal is still the only line that has a NRD as the default booking option - well, at least of the lines I price.  I know there are people who like it but I hate it.  When trying to tell other people about the cruise we've got booked in October, I always have to say "be sure to choose refundable rate at the end".  If they're going to have refundable and non-refundable, can they please go back to letting us pick it at the beginning?  Having to enter all the passengers info to get to the screen to choose it is such a pain!

I agree and am guessing that it is now done that way on purpose.  Would be curious to know how many people think that there is no refundable option and/or do not realize that they are booking a non refundable fare

On 2/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, papaflamingo said:

By the way, there is a "fee" to check bags at the curb....it's called "tipping the porters."  

A little aside. Actually tipping the porters is optional and should not be confused with a fee! In example, many airlines instituted a FEE of $2 a bag curbside. The agents collecting and tagging put up signs advising people that NONE of the FEE was for them. In fact airlines made you pay the FEE by credit card so people doing the handling couldn't pocket it.

Of course eventually many airlines eliminated curbside and now have YOU take bags in and get tags at a kiosk. Many airlines make you pay per bag. Then bring them in for turning over after being weighed for extra weight fees if necessary. The age of provide less service but get more money using fewer staff.

Do you really believe that the cruise lines will not resort to this in the future?

A friend once told me someday they will charge for bags, told him he was nuts. I now recognize his wisdom.

George in NY

41 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I agree and am guessing that it is now done that way on purpose

to get people ready for the day when refundables are gone for good.