Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
fadeintoblue

Formal Night and Jeans on Valor?

Recommended Posts

Two wrongs don't make it right! Just because Carnival does not enforce it, does not make it right. Don't be the person who stomps their feet and says " But others are doing it"! However they are called guidelines, so use your best judgement. Dress appropriately and enjoy your cruise! It's only 1-2 week(s)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ziggy7 said:

Two wrongs don't make it right! Just because Carnival does not enforce it, does not make it right. Don't be the person who stomps their feet and says " But others are doing it"! However they are called guidelines, so use your best judgement. Dress appropriately and enjoy your cruise! It's only 1-2 week(s)!

 

They are not called guidelines. Carnival’s rules on the MDR dress code are very clear and specifically state what is NOT ALLOWED in the MDR on casual nights and on elegant nights.  They may not enforce them, but their dress code rules are not vague or ambiguous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, shellster1 said:

The sport coat will dress up the jeans and you will be just fine. I agree, it's not a fancy cruise. I can't imagine anyone judging you, and if they do, well then, IMHO, that's kinda their own problem.  

 

pretty much this. I think maybe the formal night spoke more to a previous generation maybe? We dress up a little at least. Personally I don't care all that much, but it's nice when people aren't being slobs. You can tell the people that something "nice" is khakis and a polo...they almost look uncomfortable ...lol. I know a guy like that.

Edited by splash_in_the_water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, coevan said:

just because Carnival does not enforce rules, however there are rules and you should be respectful. 

 

Very good response, agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

I feel like part of the decline in people dressing up is our (yes - us on Cruise Critic) fault. New cruisers come here & ask if this or that is ok and we answer to wear whatever you want because Carnival doesn't enforce it.

 

No Carnival doesn't enforce their dress codes, but we just told them to wear whatever they want. 

 

If we'd state the specifics of the dress codes with examples, then that's probably what people would wear. If we keep saying to "Dress down, it doesn't matter" then that's exactly what everyone is going to do.

 

True, until they go see the "slobs" as coevan so eloquently (and accurately) put it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

They are not called guidelines. Carnival’s rules on the MDR dress code are very clear and specifically state what is NOT ALLOWED in the MDR on casual nights and on elegant nights.  They may not enforce them, but their dress code rules are not vague or ambiguous. 

It was stated by John Heald the dress code was more of a guideline than rule but should be followed, so I based my statement by that :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

I feel like part of the decline in people dressing up is our (yes - us on Cruise Critic) fault. New cruisers come here & ask if this or that is ok and we answer to wear whatever you want because Carnival doesn't enforce it.

 

No Carnival doesn't enforce their dress codes, but we just told them to wear whatever they want. 

 

If we'd state the specifics of the dress codes with examples, then that's probably what people would wear. If we keep saying to "Dress down, it doesn't matter" then that's exactly what everyone is going to do.

I started coming to CC about 8 years ago.  My first cruise with my husband was on the Legend in 2011and everyone was dressed beautifully!  We cruised again the following spring and I again noticed how wonderfully people dressed on elegant night.

 

I'd say it was around 2015 that I started noticed a real decline in how people dressed on Carnival.  And people on this board started chanting, "It's MY vacation and I'll dress like I want!" Cruise Critic posters went back and forth about the value of dressing nicely on formal night. In the meantime, what I see on Carnival proves that regardless of the suggested dress code, people just don't wear fancy clothes anymore. Children are being raised without owning suits, dress shoes, frilly dresses and so forth.

 

I've given up hope that Carnival cruisers will ever fall into line with a dress code. Carnival cruisers are casual, sometimes a bit rough around the edges, and are looking for the "fun ship" and not the "fancy ship." I'm perfectly OK with that and now cruise lines with cruisers who like to dress up a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would go with khakis instead of jeans, since per the published dress code, jeans are not permitted on cruise elegant nights. I'm definitely not one to wear a suit on vacation, but I also like to play by the rules, so khakis and either a decent polo or casual button-down is my preference.

 

That said, were you to show up wearing nice jeans and a sport coat, you would not be turned away, and you'd probably be better dressed than 50% of the people in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Super27 said:

Personally, I would go with khakis instead of jeans, since per the published dress code, jeans are not permitted on cruise elegant nights. I'm definitely not one to wear a suit on vacation, but I also like to play by the rules, so khakis and either a decent polo or casual button-down is my preference.

 

That said, were you to show up wearing nice jeans and a sport coat, you would not be turned away, and you'd probably be better dressed than 50% of the people in there.

 

Indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

Because Carnival doesn’t enforce their own rules.  John Heald recently commented on his site about people stealing the table numbers in the MDR.  To me, that is 100% Carnival’s fault.  By consistently failing to enforce your own rules (MDR dress code, no smoking on balconies, no marijuana, 40 minutes to reserve a chair, etc.), Carnival has created an environment where most passengers know they can basically do what they want on the ship without worrying about any consequences. So people taking table numbers from the MDR should came as no surprise to Carnival. 

The problem is they do enforce the rules however so many break them that they can not keep up with it.  I have seen guest asked to leave the MDR for not being dressed correctly. If more people would simply follow the rules then it would be more noticeable when they do. Unfortunately  the few that slips by get seen the 10 that turned around don't.

 

Edited by CdrescherRBL152

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

The problem is they do enforce the rules however so many break them that they can not keep up with it.  I have seen guest asked to leave the MDR for not being dressed correctly. If more people would simply follow the rules then it would be more noticeable when they do. Unfortunately  the few that slips by get seen the 10 that turned around don't.

 

 

I don’t know how often you cruise on Carnival, but we are fortunate enough to live in Florida and cruise on a regular basis.  I don’t doubt that you have seen a guest asked to leave the MDR, but that is the rare exception these days.  What I don’t believe for one second is that only a few slip by.  On any given elegant night, you will see 25 - 35 percent of the guests in violation of the dress code.  If you haven’t noticed this, you aren’t paying attention.  

 

Personally it doesn’t bother me, but Carnival can’t expect to have it both ways. For example, about a month or so ago John Heald posted a comment that he thought it was okay for a guy to wear a baseball hat that said Vietnam on it in the MDR, which is specifically listed as not allowed in the MDR. But then the.other day JH complained about people taking the table numbers from the MDR, which probably cost Carnival .25 cents each. Carnival has created an environment where people know most of their rules aren’t enforced, yet JH gets upset when people do something simple like take a cheap table number as a souvenir. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 2:37 AM, CdrescherRBL152 said:

Simply put the rules say no jeans. Why do most people think that they don't need to obey the rules?  

 

Unenforced rules aren’t rules. Oral sex is illegal in Maryland. How many people do you think completely ignore that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

 

Unenforced rules aren’t rules. Oral sex is illegal in Maryland. How many people do you think completely ignore that?

 

Wait....what?  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wytygr8 said:

 

Unenforced rules aren’t rules. Oral sex is illegal in Maryland. How many people do you think completely ignore that?

 

But is it allowed in the Main Dining room...??

 

I remember my first Carnival Cruise. My Mum had been on the Legend and told me that nobody dresses up for Carnival formal nights, so we didn't pack anything particularly dressy. We were on the Valor and sailing from San Juan, and obviously nobody told the locals not to dress up, as the majority of Puerto Ricans were dressed in the most glittering array of ballgowns, rhinestone cocktail dresses, tuxes etc... Much more elaborate than any other ship i've been on, I felt like I was wearing a potato sack in comparison!

Sadly it definitely wasn't the case with everyone as the people behind us were dressed in shorts and tshirts for every meal (including formal). It was a very random mix of styles. 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wytygr8 said:

 

Unenforced rules aren’t rules. Oral sex is illegal in Maryland. How many people do you think completely ignore that?

 

I grew up in Delaware and would not date any girls from Maryland because of this law 😊.

Edited by PhillyFan33579

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

On 2/3/2019 at 7:48 PM, fadeintoblue said:

We’re starting to figure out our packing for a departure next Saturday and I’m considering not packing a suit of any kind and going jeans and sport coat for Chef’s Table, 2 nights in the Steakhouse and formal night. I have been on other lines and cruises and wouldn’t consider this if not for the following.

  • It’s a cruise from Galveston
  • It’s only 5 nights
  • It’s Carnival

 

Any feedback is much appreciated. 

 

Here's the thing.  Carnival's ELEGANT NIGHT dress code does allow jeans, although the website makes it appear that it does not.  Jeans are always allowed on CASUAL nights.  @fadeintoblue, you will be fine with what you have suggested!

 

Here is what the HUB app shows for elegant night.

 

Granted, the HUB app and the website are contradictory on this matter, I would err to the side of what information is provided during the cruise itself.

IMG_0413.jpg

Edited by Schoifmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

 

 

 

Here's the thing.  Carnival's ELEGANT NIGHT dress code does allow jeans, although the website makes it appear that it does not.  Jeans are always allowed on CASUAL nights.  @fadeintoblue, you will be fine with what you have suggested!

 

Here is what the HUB app shows for elegant night.

 

Granted, the HUB app and the website are contradictory on this matter, I would err to the side of what information is provided during the cruise itself.

IMG_0413.jpg

 

That’s interesting.  Like you mentioned, Carnival’s website still states jeans are not allowed per their Cruise Elegant Dress Code.  I just checked it right now and it still states that.  The only difference between the app and the website is the app states cut-off jeans and the website states jeans under what is not permitted. 

 

I have a cruise on Sunshine in less than two weeks and a cruise on Horizon next month. I will definitely check the dress code to see if it reflects what you posted and if it is consistent on other ships.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeans are allowed every night - they just don't want cut-offs.  My personal opinion is that they are ok if they are not holey or cut-offs & paired with an appropriate top.  My hubby usually takes slacks for the formal nights, but wears jeans the other nights.  He will wear a collared shirt - either a polo or buttoned dress shirt.  We occasionally will go all out on one formal night, wearing true formal wear.  This is our plan for our next cruise with the family.  

 

If I were doing a five nighter out of Galveston, I would probably dress on the more casual side.  Lots of Texas men wear nicely pressed jeans & dress shirts & look pretty darn nice.  Reminds me of a client when I worked at the animal clinic.  He always wears pressed jeans, boots, white starched shirt & cowboy hat.  He's in his 80's and just as sharp looking as any young guy.  I wish I could fix him up with my mom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Children are being raised without owning suits, dress shoes, frilly dresses and so forth.

 

There's nothing wrong with not owning a suit or dress shoes of frilly dresses. Hell as an almost 40 year old man, I don't own a suit or dress shoes. There's no need for me to waste my money on that for 2 days of playing dress up a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 6:48 PM, fadeintoblue said:

We’re starting to figure out our packing for a departure next Saturday and I’m considering not packing a suit of any kind and going jeans and sport coat for Chef’s Table, 2 nights in the Steakhouse and formal night. I have been on other lines and cruises and wouldn’t consider this if not for the following.

  • It’s a cruise from Galveston
  • It’s only 5 nights
  • It’s Carnival

 

Any feedback is much appreciated. 

You will be fine and sounds like you will look very nice.  We were on the Freedom over NYE.  We didn't do the Chefs Table but were sitting at the atrium bar both nights they did it.  They had the guests sitting off to the side and almost all the men had on jeans and a nice long sleeve polo type shirt.  Most women had on slacks and a nice shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

 

There's nothing wrong with not owning a suit or dress shoes of frilly dresses. Hell as an almost 40 year old man, I don't own a suit or dress shoes. There's no need for me to waste my money on that for 2 days of playing dress up a year.

I agree!  Suits are expensive.  If you only need one for 2 nights a year there is no need to spend the money.  I could use that to take another cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jenny in TX said:

Suits are expensive.   I could use that to take another cruise!

 

 

Maybe if it's a silk Armani :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple cruises ago there was this older guy...probably in his upper 50s...and he always wore overalls. Regular denim overalls. We never saw him not wearing them...on sea days...on shore...in the MDR...at the shows.. everywhere. His wife was dressed rather nicely most of the time, but this guy always had on the bibbers. He was always smiling and always looked to be really enjoying himself. In the MDR every night...including the elegant night...he wore nice button up western style shirts with his bibs...and no one seemed put off by it. This was a 5 day out of Galveston...as if that matters. I myself would NEVER wear denim overalls on a cruise or a dinner night out, but he seemed perfectly comfortable and was having a fun cruise. I applaud Carnival for allowing this man his freedom...even if it broke the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hillbillycruisers said:

A couple cruises ago there was this older guy...probably in his upper 50s...and he always wore overalls. Regular denim overalls. We never saw him not wearing them...on sea days...on shore...in the MDR...at the shows.. everywhere. His wife was dressed rather nicely most of the time, but this guy always had on the bibbers. He was always smiling and always looked to be really enjoying himself. In the MDR every night...including the elegant night...he wore nice button up western style shirts with his bibs...and no one seemed put off by it. This was a 5 day out of Galveston...as if that matters. I myself would NEVER wear denim overalls on a cruise or a dinner night out, but he seemed perfectly comfortable and was having a fun cruise. I applaud Carnival for allowing this man his freedom...even if it broke the rules.

 

We used to have a gentleman in one of our churches that had only one pair of "waist pants."  Otherwise, he wore his everyday overalls and his Sunday overalls.  When he got a new paid, they because his new Sunday overalls.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would prefer to see nice pressed Jeans and a Sport Jacket instead of some of the get-ups people wear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...