Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

My husband and I were completing our Set sail passes for Ovation later this month for our family of five. Not more than one minute after completion we got an email to say our two sons (aged 21 and 22) drinks packages had been cancelled. The email said because they were underage. When I rang customer service to query this they told me that my sons dobs had been altered by myself and saved, making them 10 yrs younger. I explained this was impossible as both my husband and I were completing the details and did not alter the years. Besides the 22 yr old ( who had a crown and anchor number) had a drink package the year before. Even if we had inadvertently put in the wrong year I would expect RC to check with us before cancelling their drinks packages. Customer service were no help and insisted I had to repurchase the packages at an increased cost of $150. After this cruise I will never sail with this money grabbing line again.couldnt be more disappointed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a) It was probably automated and triggered by the change in DOB (whether it was a system error or you altered it without realizing)

b) Why $150 more? Did you book under a sale? Did you save a copy of the invoice?

c) Did you speak with a supervisor? If not, call back and ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would stand your ground and insist they reinstate it at the original price you paid...Speak with C&A you often get more sense from them , good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Meanderful said:
4 hours ago, Meanderful said:

Thanks Debgreg, I will give it a go.

They may not be able to adjust the actual price however they certainly have the ability to credit your account with On Board Credit to make up the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks everyone for your help ; I will contact C and A to see how I go. I feel I just can’t deal with RC customer service again as they just won’t budge and don’t care at all. An Australian business would never get away with this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Meanderful said:

Ok thanks everyone for your help ; I will contact C and A to see how I go. I feel I just can’t deal with RC customer service again as they just won’t budge and don’t care at all. An Australian business would never get away with this

That's why I use a good Travel Agent.  She handles ALL of these issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would call back for a different customer service agent.  I have found some do not know what they are talking about!   If they say same thing ask for a supervisor!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep calling back until you get it rectified. Ask to speak to a supervisor.  I agree, it is very frustrating dealing with RC over the phone but don't let it go until it is fixed.

Edited by Colorado Babe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty its a bit confusing as when you go to complete your set-sail pass it shows the birth year as XXXX which kind of makes you think you need to correct it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go.....

 

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/royal-caribbean/

 

Contacts for RCCL are on that page.

 

Start with a polite and consice email to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com

 

Simply explained what happened, that you were making sure the birthdays were correct, and the system must have glitched somehow.  Explain that your boys are X and Y years old, as evidenced by their C&A accounts, and that they (or one of them?) had the drink package on cruise Z.

 

Then explain that, when you called customer service and explained the glitch, you were offered the package at n increase of $$$.  Explain that, as you understand this was a computer glitch , you would like to re purchase the drink package at the initial price.

 

Do NOT say the CS rep accused you of anything, swap IN the word "confused".  The CS rep I first spoke to was confused and asked if I had <something about the birth dates>

 

Be polite, you love RCCL, you re looking forward to the cruise, and just need to get this one last item sorted out.

Short and sweet.

 

If royal guest relations rejects your request, move up to the primary contact and try.  Then move up to the secondary contact etc.  Depending on your cruise date, try to let a week, or rejection, occur before you move up.

 

Good luck and happy sailing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sas80 said:

Here you go.....

 

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/royal-caribbean/

 

Contacts for RCCL are on that page.

 

Start with a polite and consice email to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com

 

Simply explained what happened, that you were making sure the birthdays were correct, and the system must have glitched somehow.  Explain that your boys are X and Y years old, as evidenced by their C&A accounts, and that they (or one of them?) had the drink package on cruise Z.

 

Then explain that, when you called customer service and explained the glitch, you were offered the package at n increase of $$$.  Explain that, as you understand this was a computer glitch , you would like to re purchase the drink package at the initial price.

 

Do NOT say the CS rep accused you of anything, swap IN the word "confused".  The CS rep I first spoke to was confused and asked if I had <something about the birth dates>

 

Be polite, you love RCCL, you re looking forward to the cruise, and just need to get this one last item sorted out.

Short and sweet.

 

If royal guest relations rejects your request, move up to the primary contact and try.  Then move up to the secondary contact etc.  Depending on your cruise date, try to let a week, or rejection, occur before you move up.

 

Good luck and happy sailing!

 

Good Advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just send out a big thankyou to you all!! I followed everyone's advice, kept emailing , kept ringing but to no avail.I then used one of the contacts provided to me for the American execs (Michael Bayer) and was contacted by a staff member who offered me $200 USD OBC!

I feel so relieved and grateful for all your help,

 

Thanks

Kate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love reading stories like this on Cruise Critic. This is what this website is all about. Someone has a problem and the helpful advice actually is helpful and people get problems resolved.

Enjoy the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too true! I was honestly devastated over the glitch/error rather than the money side of things . It was such a stupid thing for a company to do without any further investigations. The ill-will that an automated response to an error like that must be huge. Anyway, as I said, I thank you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:06 AM, Meanderful said:

My husband and I were completing our Set sail passes for Ovation later this month for our family of five. Not more than one minute after completion we got an email to say our two sons (aged 21 and 22) drinks packages had been cancelled. The email said because they were underage. When I rang customer service to query this they told me that my sons dobs had been altered by myself and saved, making them 10 yrs younger. I explained this was impossible as both my husband and I were completing the details and did not alter the years. Besides the 22 yr old ( who had a crown and anchor number) had a drink package the year before. Even if we had inadvertently put in the wrong year I would expect RC to check with us before cancelling their drinks packages. Customer service were no help and insisted I had to repurchase the packages at an increased cost of $150. After this cruise I will never sail with this money grabbing line again.couldnt be more disappointed!

 

Has your attitude changed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:06 AM, Meanderful said:

 After this cruise I will never sail with this money grabbing line again.couldnt be more disappointed!

 

I will bet $100 that she books another cruise with RC while on this cruise next month....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re D+ and the only problem I ever recall was when they didn’t have the large table our group of 14 had asked for in the MDR.  That was remedied the very next night and for the remainder of the cruise.  This is just not that difficult.  I must say though, considering the incredible number of drink package complaints im sure glad I don’t drink anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

 

I will bet $100 that she books another cruise with RC while on this cruise next month....

Haha -you are probs right. I have declared that I am more than happy with the outcome. Anytime a problem has been resolved you have to move on-or what's the point of seeking resolution?

I was super p%^$#d off as it was just something so stupid, but with the help of the more experienced cruisers here, I got a result that I'm happy with ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...