Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ms411

New Attraction - St Thomas Cycle Boats!

Recommended Posts

It says its from 1-4pm. Our ship leaves at 5, does that leave enough time to get back to the dock/ship??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're on Royal Caribbean ship, the dock for the cycle boat is across the street - about a 5 minute walk to the ship.

 

All other ships dock about 4 miles away so you'll need a taxi to get you back by 4:30. You'll need to ask the boat captain if he can have a taxi waiting when the boat returns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like a blast. Never seen it before, that's the second attraction in St. Thomas, Oceana Restaurant being the first that I knew nothing about. That sucks!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4pm end tour time. We are on Celebrity which I think docks at Havensight point. Is the departure area somewhere you can grab a taxi easily? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone on this board done this cycleboat? am interested in a review. It looks like it was new in Feb19 so hoping someone has some feedback

Also any info on ViCat snorkel tour is appreciated

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne Marie was our fearsome and awesome captain who got run over by a car a few days prior. She was very engaging and had lots of fun stories.  She was not your typical tour boat captain - part pirate for sure. However, we never felt unsafe. She knew was she was doing along with her first mate Valley. 
 

Pedaling is completely optional. There is a motor and I don’t think any of our pedaling  helped at all.

 

The rum punch  was much better than we expected, however be forewarned. It’s very effective.  
 

The ride from the dock to water Island was about 35 minutes. Water Island wasn’t the best beach stop in the world, but it was fun for an hour and a half.  The ride from the dock to water island was about 35 minutes.   Pretty small but not overcrowded. We got drinks and (very rare) hamburgers at Heidi’s. One of apparently two bars but we never made it to the other one. 
 

There were several other large tour boats that had 100+ people on them from the cruise ships. Personally we prefer smaller numbers so this was great for us. We maybe also lucked out and had a fun group on our the cycle boat. But also maybe this is also a tour more outgoing people sign up for since it is smaller and possibly more active if you choose it to be. 
 

I would definitely do this over a big tour boat to water island. And it would be a ton of fun if you had your own group of 10 or so. 
 

there are 10 cycles and I guess the max of 16 would mean the other 6 would be sitting on the back bench or standing around.  

Edited by cindivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Anne Marie was our fearsome and awesome captain who got run over by a car a few days prior. She was very engaging and had lots of fun stories.  She was not your typical tour boat captain - part pirate for sure. However, we never felt unsafe. She knew was she was doing along with her first mate Valley. 
 

Pedaling is completely optional. There is a motor and I don’t think any of our pedaling  helped at all.

 

The rum punch  was much better than we expected, however be forewarned. It’s very effective.  
 

The ride from the dock to water Island was about 35 minutes. Water Island wasn’t the best beach stop in the world, but it was fun for an hour and a half.  The ride from the dock to water island was about 35 minutes.   Pretty small but not overcrowded. We got drinks and (very rare) hamburgers at Heidi’s. One of apparently two bars but we never made it to the other one. 
 

There were several other large tour boats that had 100+ people on them from the cruise ships. Personally we prefer smaller numbers so this was great for us. We maybe also lucked out and had a fun group on our the cycle boat. But also maybe this is also a tour more outgoing people sign up for since it is smaller and possibly more active if you choose it to be. 
 

I would definitely do this over a big tour boat to water island. And it would be a ton of fun if you had your own group of 10 or so. 
 

there are 10 cycles and I guess the max of 16 would mean the other 6 would be sitting on the back bench or standing around.  

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great time. What's that buggy cost pp?

Thanks Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She got run over by a car a few days prior????? Explain that one, please! Thanks for posting!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ms411 said:

She got run over by a car a few days prior????? Explain that one, please! Thanks for posting!

 

OMG!! Ms411 you are hilarious!! "she got run over by a car" that's the best one ever, and you all think I'm bad. 

Looking forward to the explanation too.

Thanks for a great thread!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love too know how Blue Water is getting his and my posts pulled from the boards. That's the second or third time this has happened. I not only don't appreciate it, it's improper and wrong.

Respectfully Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I get to do that too? Go and cry and whine to the moderators and get my posts and others pulled because I don't like them? What a JOKE!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, TTEllis said:

Thanks for the review, sounds like a great time. What's that buggy cost pp?

Thanks Todd


I think there is different pricing for different times.  Ours was $77 per person after taxes. 

Edited by cindivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 11:46 PM, Ms411 said:

She got run over by a car a few days prior????? Explain that one, please! Thanks for posting!

 


She had some abrasions on her face and one of the first things she said was “let me address the elephant in the room” or similar and explained why it looked like she had been in a fight. 
 

She explained she was walking in a parking lot (and admitted she was texting while walking) when a car hit her and drove off. She was knocked out and luckily a friend saw what happened and helped her. 
 

it didn’t affect her driving. 
 

As I mentioned before she was part pirate part captain. 😏

Edited by cindivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sailing on the Celebrity summit and thinking about this Cycleboats excursion.. We were in St Thomas last year and did the Celebrity excursion to Sapphire Beach.. It was so rushed and such a disappointment.  This sounds really fun, but my other choice is to just take a cab to Sapphire Beach on my own and rent chairs and relax...Opinions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have more flexibility if you DIY to Sapphire or any other beach. The cycle boat goes to Honeymoon which can get crowded because so many boats go there. Get to Sapphire early so you can settle in a good spot for the day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you are really enthusiastic about trying the "cycle" experience go to Sapphire.  If it is a nice day at the beach you want, the down island views and the beach experience are much better at Sapphire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apples or oranges?

 

Cycle boat is more interactive with other guests and captain.  And a five minute walk from ship, fun bar next to the boat where we had a few drinks before the boat took off. 
 

Sapphire beach on your own might be more relaxing and private?  Not sure how hard it is to get chairs etc. 

 

I think both sound fun. Depends what you are in the mood for. 

Edited by cindivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a lot of fun a group of us are going in March will have to put this in the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...