Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
WeBeCruisinMon

Disembarkation off Carnival Dream in New Orleans

Recommended Posts

Sailing on the Dream at the end of March and looking to book return airfare. The best flight available leaves MSY at 10:15am. Ship states 8am to get there. We have TSA pre-check. We will be walking off with our luggage and can wake up early and be ready to get off at 8am. Question is- will we be allowed to get off this early?

 

Anyone with recent experience getting off the Dream and to the airport? Is this possible? I know it will be tight, other flight option is waiting until 5:30pm which I’d like to try to avoid.

 

Any insight from previous guests getting off the Dream or other Carnival ship in New Orleans?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern would be the ship arriving late for any reason. And if the ship is docking at 8am there may be some delay before you walk off. Add in a 25 minute ride to the airport (or longer). Just for flights in general I would not book anything that early.

 

I am not speaking from experience with flying out of MSY, and perhaps people have done this, but I have never booked a flight with that tight a window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How very nice to see the correct term DISEMBARKATION

rather than a sawmill process in the making of plywood sheets.

 

I refer to "de-barking" -the removal of bark from trees. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every cruise we have been on from NOLA, we got off the ship by 7:00-7:15. The ship is "normally" docked by 6:30 and that is when the longshoremen start their shift and begin unloading.

 

But you are cutting it close, as Murphy is alive and well and loves to screw plans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wms99 said:

Every cruise we have been on from NOLA, we got off the ship by 7:00-7:15. The ship is "normally" docked by 6:30 and that is when the longshoremen start their shift and begin unloading.

 

But you are cutting it close, as Murphy is alive and well and loves to screw plans.

 

Is this when the scheduled time is 8am?  You normally arrive that early? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday the 3rd we were off and in our car at 815 am.  We have priority disembarkation due to platinum status.  I agree with the poster that has concerns about ship arriving late.  Might be a small chance but still can happen.  I suggest researching information regarding a backup plan should arrival or the Ships Customs Clearance is a problem.  

 

We build in extra time and we normally do not book flights earlier than noon regardless of the cruise port proximity to airport.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was on the Dream in December they started calling self assist at 7:45. I believe they had called all self assist by 8:30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

Is this when the scheduled time is 8am?  You normally arrive that early? 

 

They usually arrive earlier than scheduled. 6-7:30. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aplmac said:

How very nice to see the correct term DISEMBARKATION

rather than a sawmill process in the making of plywood sheets.

 

I refer to "de-barking" -the removal of bark from trees. LOL!

French debarquer, from de- + barque bark (ship)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

Sailing on the Dream at the end of March and looking to book return airfare. The best flight available leaves MSY at 10:15am. Ship states 8am to get there. We have TSA pre-check. We will be walking off with our luggage and can wake up early and be ready to get off at 8am. Question is- will we be allowed to get off this early?

 

Anyone with recent experience getting off the Dream and to the airport? Is this possible? I know it will be tight, other flight option is waiting until 5:30pm which I’d like to try to avoid.

 

Any insight from previous guests getting off the Dream or other Carnival ship in New Orleans?

Thank you!

We have sailed several time from New Orleans. They often allow those with early flights to get off first. Usually Sunday morning traffic is smooth to the airport so you should make it but you do have to remember there is always the possibility of some kind of problem in the river that delays the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

French debarquer, from de- + barque bark (ship)

.

Interesting! Thank you.

 

I still prefer disembarkation to a lumberyard process - lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've cruised 10 times out of Nola. I'm usually up watching the ship dock and it's almost always been before 6am. We are usually on the interstate by 8am when we choose self assist. I have noticed it seems to take a little more time to clear the ship when we've been to Belize and Roatan, don't know if that is still happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on this ship in April 2018 (the sailing when it flooded at sea) and we were back in port at 6:15 and we were in the car by 7:30 am.  But that doesn't always happen.  I think honestly you would be ok but you will definitely never know what could happen.  If the ship is delayed for any reason, this could put a damper on things.  Worst case, book the flight and if you miss it then you can call the airlines and see if they will book you on a later one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March can be VERY foggy on the Gulf and the river.  Could be a delaying factor of when the ship arrives at the port.  good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cajunfla said:

March can be VERY foggy on the Gulf and the river.  Could be a delaying factor of when the ship arrives at the port.  good luck.

Yes! Be very aware of occasional docking delays from fog during early Spring, meaning the ship gets in port at the scheduled time instead of early. Our very first cruise out of NOLA the entire highway I-10 headed to the airport was closed just past the football dome from a nasty accident. Our cab driver knew his stuff. He zigged through lots of side streets and got us there with just a 15 minute delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...