Take 6 promotion worth it?

AlabamaRN

I’m trying to decide if the take 6 is worth booking a balcony room? Has anyone done the math? We would usually get an inside room, but I do like to buy internet, UBP, some specialty dining, and we do take ship’s excursions when something is far from the ship. Thanks.

I did it for my cruise on the Encore for next January and the math seemed to work for us.

We're a cabin for 3 (includes my 19 year old daughter) and it was probably the free airfare that made it a good deal in my estimation. The airfare was free for my wife and I and $390 for my daughter (flying r/t from NYC) so it was $130 pp r/t which is definitely a deal for January.

The whole deal came to $3600 for the 3 of us in a balcony cabin which was less than what I figured an inside would cost adding all the perks. While I don't know exactly what air would cost me, I figure it has to be at least $750 r/t for the 3 of us.

Anyway, I keep looking at all the different cruises and cruise lines for next January to see if something else would provide more value and I haven't found anything yet.

Are you going to be using all 6 perks?  If not, then maybe not.  They really aren't completely free perks because they have probably increased the cost per person for the cabin you are looking at to offset.  For example, it doesn't look like you are interested in the airfare or friends/family perks.  So it is really just 4 of the 6. 

What is your priority for the other 4?  It looks like with an oceanview you get 3, and inside you get 1.  Costs probably vary between ships - if there is a huge difference in cost between an inside and balcony, I would probably go inside and select which perk has the biggest value, and then see if you can upgrade for cheap.  If the difference between the cabins is negligible go with the balcony.

I'm not a huge fan of this promotion because there are things I will never use (airfare and family/friends sail free), and I think prices have probably been increased to offset these losses - so I'm paying more for things I'll never use.  Waiting patiently for this promotion to stop getting extended.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

We usually get a balcony anyway with the UBP and either the excursion credit or the 3rd/4th guest free.  So essentially for us the other things were just a bonus this time when we booked the Breakaway next February.  I doubt I will be the one using the internet minutes but I am interested in the specialty dining.  The only one I have been in before was Moderno and I liked that a lot.  It will have to be democratic but I will be voting for Moderno, Cagney's and La Cucina.  For the airfare credit, I'm going to have to call to see if it is worth it when we get closer.

Do the math.  You can buy the SDP anyway.  If you did the sailaway rate, which of the "perks" would you use and what would you spend?  If you aren't a big drinker, what would you spend on drinks?  Specialty dining?  You can pay for the SDP, how much would it cost and is it worth it to you?  Internet - would you just buy the unlimited anyway, with the 15% discount for buying before sailing, or is the "free" 250 mins enough for you?

The answer is different for different people - but figure which you would prefer and then compare to other similar itineraries/cabins on other cruise lines.

Be sure if you are an UBP person to consider WHAT you drink - if you like semi-premium booze, your brand of choice MAY have an upcharge.  There is a thread about that.  

100% worth it for us as well. We won't sail without an unlimited beverage package, the specialty dining is a nice bonus, internet I can take or leave - I have no intention of working while on vacation and FB check-ins can wait till I get home. Last May we brought my MIL with us for free on a 7 day Mediterranean journey, and so far the 'free/discounted' airfare has always come in cheaper than me booking direct with Delta or AA on my own. So we will continue to check NCL itineraries first so long as these perks are there.

11 hours ago, Gampy1967 said:

No. Not worth it.  Sail with someone else.

I disagree Gampy1967.  They don't need to cruise someone else.  They could book the less expensive Sail Away rate.  NCL has options.  There is a wealth of information on Cruise Critic.  The search function is great tool where you can find out all sorts of neat information about NCL.  Try a search of: Sail Away rate.  

• Like 2

I would just book sail away and upgrade through bidding. There is no FREE lunch and you pay for it one way or another.

You pay much more over sail away and you end up paying the same price or even more with the free offers they throw at you.

I can almost always book flight cheaper myself and have better options and connections.

Have you looked at other cruise lines?

We just booked a Southern Caribbean on Celebrity rather than NCL. A Spa Balcony on Celebrity with beverage package, gratuities paid, and $650 OBC was cheaper then a regular balcony on NCL with perks. ($2,800 total)

NCL has a good product but they're pricing themselves higher then the competition in many cases. They'll keep raising prices and fees until people smarten up and do a little more shopping around.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mianmike said:

I disagree Gampy1967.  They don't need to cruise someone else.  They could book the less expensive Sail Away rate.  NCL has options.  There is a wealth of information on Cruise Critic.  The search function is great tool where you can find out all sorts of neat information about NCL.  Try a search of: Sail Away rate.  

I was being sarcastic.  There is no way to answer the OP's question with the basic information provided.  I personally would never ever book a sail away rate because I simply don't trust where the room would be.  A bad room would ruin the entire cruise for me.  That is me though.  Others such as yourself it may not matter.  So for me, I will always pay the higher base rate regardless of the perks, simply because I want to be able to pick my specific room.  An idividual need to price out all of the options based on what is most important to them to see who has the best price.  That can't be answered by anyone here on cruise critic based on "are the perks worth it"?

• Like 2

As others have said, you really do have to dig down into the numbers and you can always compare against other cruises doing a similar itinerary and factor in all costs, including buying airfare, to determine if the pricing is good. 

The strategy of booking sail away and trying to upgrade is a good one financially as long as cabin location doesn't matter to you (you aren't bothered by noise if you're under the dining room or pool deck or bothered by motion if you end up very forward). 

Sounds like you have previously cruised so have a look at what your total cost was for those cruises were and compare to help you decide. 

Whatever you end up doing - happy cruising! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Have you looked at other cruise lines?

We just booked a Southern Caribbean on Celebrity rather than NCL. A Spa Balcony on Celebrity with beverage package, gratuities paid, and $650 OBC was cheaper then a regular balcony on NCL with perks. ($2,800 total)

NCL has a good product but they're pricing themselves higher then the competition in many cases. They'll keep raising prices and fees until people smarten up and do a little more shopping around.

Where is this offer? Week?

23 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

We usually get a balcony anyway with the UBP and either the excursion credit or the 3rd/4th guest free.  So essentially for us the other things were just a bonus this time when we booked the Breakaway next February.  I doubt I will be the one using the internet minutes but I am interested in the specialty dining.  The only one I have been in before was Moderno and I liked that a lot.  It will have to be democratic but I will be voting for Moderno, Cagney's and La Cucina.  For the airfare credit, I'm going to have to call to see if it is worth it when we get closer.

Moderno is a flat fee option, might be worth paying for that directly and giving in if Le Bistro is wanted too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionkingrichard said:

Where is this offer? Week?

Just look on the Celebrity website. They throw in 2-4 perks depending on the sailing AND they don’t charge you a ridiculous amount in “service charges” when you select the beverage package etc. it’s all included.

30 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Just look on the Celebrity website. They throw in 2-4 perks depending on the sailing AND they don’t charge you a ridiculous amount in “service charges” when you select the beverage package etc. it’s all included.

I have a 11 day booked on Celebrity this September...2 perks were offered then...go better...it included the "classic beverage package" and I chose room grats..

I just repriced with the additional perks, it is right at $1000 higher than my original booking...all the cruise lines monkey with the pricing based on perks etc...I will be upgrading my "classic package" on board for the cost of about $370 for the 11 day...my first Celebrity Cruise..looking forward to checking them out.  Equinox, it's being "reimagined" in June.  

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I did and don't see OBC OF $650?

15 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

I did and don't see OBC OF $650?

$300 from the Celebrity promo

$150 from Celebrity via an email promo (just got off another Celebrity cruise)

$200 from Amex for paying with my Amex Platinum card

The agency I booked with is paying for my gratuities.

44 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have a 11 day booked on Celebrity this September...2 perks were offered then...go better...it included the "classic beverage package" and I chose room grats..

I just repriced with the additional perks, it is right at $1000 higher than my original booking...all the cruise lines monkey with the pricing based on perks etc...I will be upgrading my "classic package" on board for the cost of about $370 for the 11 day...my first Celebrity Cruise..looking forward to checking them out.  Equinox, it's being "reimagined" in June.  

Any chance your TA can pick up your gratuities and you get $300 OBC instead? If I can get gratuities paid on a 7 night sailing i'm sure you can on an 11 night. Wouldn't hurt to ask...(or look around).

3 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

$300 from the Celebrity promo

$150 from Celebrity via an email promo (just got off another Celebrity cruise)

$200 from Amex for paying with my Amex Platinum card

The agency I booked with is paying for my gratuities.

Thank you.

90% can't get that offer!

2 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Any chance your TA can pick up your gratuities and you get $300 OBC instead? If I can get gratuities paid on a 7 night sailing i'm sure you can on an 11 night. Wouldn't hurt to ask...(or look around).

I booked this one through the Big Box agent., rhymes with Bostco. ..they are sending me a gift card post cruise...still not at final payment, so I am still exploring options...

Just now, Lionkingrichard said:

Thank you.

90% can't get that offer!

You can't get the $150 from Celebrity unless you recently got off another Celebrity cruise but anyone can get a Platinum Amex card and get another $200 OBC (you have to book with certain TAs) and that's on top of anything a TA may offer you.