Cruise Critic Community
paulwacca

Koningsdam Gala Nights - what to wear & which nights?

Does Koningsdam have set Gala Nights, we cant find anything on the HA website relating to them? We want to book speciality dining but dont want it to clash with these nights.

Also what do we need to wear, is it formal or is a casual jacket and collared shirt okay?

Once again thanks in advance.

It’s more casual than before: for gala nights some still dress up but others more the collared shirt (no jacket required any longer) for men and women nice dress or slacks.  

We usually book the specialty restaurants on board so we can ask when gala nights are. Normally there is a sea day the next day.  

Edited by canadianbear

I believe the 'recommended' dress for gala nights is Jacket OR collar and tie.

A few still wear Tuxes. I suppose if I lived close to the embarkation and didn't have to fly and I owned a tux, then I would wear it!  

The "requirement" for men is a collared shirt and long pants that aren't jeans.  On Oosterdam last week, my impression is that more men were wearing jackets (either suits or sport coats) than not, but very few in formal wear.

3 hours ago, paulwacca said:

Does Koningsdam have set Gala Nights, we cant find anything on the HA website relating to them? We want to book speciality dining but dont want it to clash with these nights.

Also what do we need to wear, is it formal or is a casual jacket and collared shirt okay?

Once again thanks in advance.

On the 11-day Caribbean itinerary, Gala Nights are the first and last sea days.

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

On the 11-day Caribbean itinerary, Gala Nights are the first and last sea days.

This was just the opposite of what we experienced on our 14 night holiday cruise on HAL. The first night and last night, which were both at sea, were casual nights. 

We've cruised on quite a few cruise lines, and the first night and last night have never been  'dress up' nights. On the first night, everyone is unpacking, and many have not even had a chance to read the info left in their cabins. On the last night, most passengers have to pack their luggage and put it in the hall before they go to bed.

We wanted to book specialty dining that didn't conflict with dress up nights, but on the holiday cruise, almost every night was a dress up night, but we never felt under dressed with a dark suit and a basic dress.

Edited by SWFLAOK

7 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

This was just the opposite of what we experienced on our 14 night holiday cruise on HAL. The first night and last night, which were both at sea, were casual nights. 

We've cruised on quite a few cruise lines, and the first night and last night have never been  'dress up' nights. On the first night, everyone is unpacking, and many have not even had a chance to read the info left in their cabins. On the last night, most passengers have to pack their luggage and put it in the hall before they go to bed.

We wanted to book specialty dining that didn't conflict with dress up nights, but on the holiday cruise, almost every night was a dress up night, but we never felt under dressed with a dark suit and a basic dress.

Indeed, HAL does not have Gala Nights on Embarkation Day or the last night before Disembarkation.  Gala Nights are usually on Sea Days, at least on my many HAL cruises, or days when the ship leaves port before the dinner hour.  Days in port during the dinner hours is not usually a Gala Night nor is the De librijie night.  Using the aforementioned, one can take a pretty good guess on Gala Nights but the best method is to ask those on a previous cruise of the same itinerary.