Trip insurance

didugger

Although we have cruised for a 15+ years now, we only just recently started purchasing insurance.  The questions regarding trip insurance is very open ended.  Trip cancellation is one thing, medical another. 

Hubby and I now purchase medical insurance for our trip, fortunately we have not had to use.  After talking with another cruise passenger 2 years ago, I have not sailed without medical insurance.  She was asked for secured payment prior to being seen at the ER.  Keep in mind, your regular medical insurance normally does not provide out of US medical expenses.  There are many coverage out there  but we choose United Health Care - Global (Safetrip).  I researched several companies had pro/cons and several had horrors stories.  None necessarily worse than the others.  Honestly, I lack 100% comfort in most of them based on reviews/boards, etc., including UHC my chosen provider.  Nonetheless, I chose them primary since we have UHC for our medical normally.  My silly thought was if I can't get something fixed when I need it to be fixed then wait until I hit the states, it might cost UHC more in the long run.  Silly I know!  I felt I was flipping a coin with all of the carriers.  Our recent 7 day trip that included Honduras, Belize, Cozumel for medical only (us in our early 50's) cost $76.00 total with 1 million in coverage but NO sports rider. 

As for trip cancellation, I risk it.  My Chase credit card does say "travel confidently knowing you’re covered with Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance, Lost Luggage Reimbursement, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, and more"  Again, we have never had to use any of the Travel Benefits.   I do recommended researching benefits with your credit card companies as an option (if you paid your trip with it) before purchasing coverage.  I am not saying to not get supplemental trip coverage just recommending to do your research.  

Medical for us is always purchased!

• 1 month later...

When we booked we elected to take the NCL trip insurance.  After reading here, it is much less expensive purchasing it on your own.  I think we are paying $818/total for our family of 5.  Using the website recommended above, I can get better coverage and the premium is half of the cost.  Do you know know if you can cancel the trip insurance through your cruise line?  I messaged NCL but they cannot help me since we used a TA.  I just wanted to be sure we could get it refunded or removed from our balance prior to bothering her.  TIA!!

I also do like A1M1Y9

We just put a down payment on our upcoming RCCL cruise in October. Trip cost about $2500 pp.

I do have BP issues, so needed Pre-Existing conditions waiver.

My TA was trying to sell both of us a policy for $350+. That policy was comprehensive and low medical/Evac.

Could have gotten a policy from www.tripinsurancestore.com that was comprehensive with higher medical and evac for about $250.

Ended up getting a policy for $70 total for both of us.

I limited the comprehensive (trip cancellation. trip delay, loss luggage, etc.) to Trip cost $500 ( If I have to cancel, I can eat the cost of the trip. Won't go down well, but will survive). For that $70 total, I still receive Pre-Existing waiver and total medical of $250K, $1M evac. Medical is Primary

2 hours ago, bamafamof5 said:

When we booked we elected to take the NCL trip insurance.  After reading here, it is much less expensive purchasing it on your own.  I think we are paying $818/total for our family of 5.  Using the website recommended above, I can get better coverage and the premium is half of the cost.  Do you know know if you can cancel the trip insurance through your cruise line?  I messaged NCL but they cannot help me since we used a TA.  I just wanted to be sure we could get it refunded or removed from our balance prior to bothering her.  TIA!!

We also get our travel insurance from www.TripInsuranceStore.com .

(They have quite a few different policies from several insurers; we tend to get coverage that includes the cost of the trip, and our policies from Travel Insured have paid promptly, which is what matters!).

But don't worry about "bothering" your TA - that is what they are there for!  They should be willing to answer your questions pleasantly and promptly, in addition to "selling" you the cruise :classic_wink:

Please do not rely upon answers from "anonymous internet posters" when your money or health/safety is involved!  Get the "right answer" from the right source, etc.

GC

• 4 weeks later...

I usually compare rates at aardvarkcompare.com  sometimes i can save a few hundreds 🤑. still many things depends on the insurance company. sometimes it's worth to pay more but be sure that in case of an accident you're covered. actually at consumeraffairs.com  you can read reviews, for just in case..

anyways, have a safe trip ☺️

Edited by ooogra