Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
megr1125

CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, 138east said:

https://www.opentable.com/landmark/restaurants-near-the-westin-jersey-city-newport

 

Yes.  There are lots of offices in the area.  My company along with many other companies moved everyone out of the Wall Street area after 911.

Thanks for the link!  I see we wouldn’t have a hard time finding a place to eat dinner. What about an inexpensive breakfast on a Sunday morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks for the link!  I see we wouldn’t have a hard time finding a place to eat dinner. What about an inexpensive breakfast on a Sunday morning?

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=breakfast_brunch&find_loc=Jersey+City%2C+NJ

 

Brownstone Diner (listed in the above link) has been mentioned before on this thread.  You’d have to drive there.  Also cruisers have mentioned Broadway Diner in Bayonne not far from the port.  I don’t know how “inexpensive” these places are, but I sure they’re not charging hotel prices.

 

IMO if it’s costing you $12.50 to use your points at the Westin, it’s a great deal and will be a totally different experience from staying anywhere at the airport. I think the Westin has views from the top floor, so check that out.  

 

Another thought for a mini excursion - read the sticky about PATH at the top of this forum.  PATH Service between Exchange Place and World Trade is currently replaced by ferry service on Sat and Sun.  For $2.75/pp each way you can ride the ferry across the Hudson and back to see the sights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I made it thru a NYC sailing.  I was very apprehensive about it all. When they said we were sailing outta NYC i was kinda like those fellas on the old Pace Picanti commercial "NEW YORK CITY???".  But I had some decent advice from this board and want to thank yall.  First off I called Trinity and got a hold of Bruce.  Bruce set a new bar in customer service.  He was extremely helpful and addressed all my concerns and questions.  He set me up with every thing I needed and booked us (4 adults and 2 kids) in the Fairfield Marriott in North Bergen NJ.  I drove into the hotel around 530 and was just waiting for something to go wrong. I walked in and was greeted by Andrea. She chuckled and said I was just thinking about you.  She was looking at her reservations I think, cause i never met the lady but suddenly felt like i had a friend in Jersey.  Everything was no problem at all.  The hotel sets in what i would call more of a industrial type setting.  Pretty hotel but did seem out of place.  I was up on the top floor but we were overlooking RT 9 and the railroad yards, you know, a view you don't take a picture of.  This was the west side of the hotel and even with being 8 floors up the noise was pretty constant from down below. Trucks, trains and motorcycles and they go all night long.  I did get sleep and it wasn't over whelming. And the rooms were really nice.  Everything about the interior of the hotel and the staff was A plus. On here i have read about a young man that works the second shift at the desk, I cant recall his name but yes he was wonderful. As for the noise I think maybe the east side of the hotel would be quieter, it is residential and all dead ends and no traffic.  One minor issue was I had asked Bruce for the 10am shuttle to and from the terminal.  Well the hotel seems to make the assignments the moment you check in and Andrea said there was no more room on the 10am but i was now on the 11 am.  Well what is an hour amongst friends.  There was a gaggle of people on the 10am and one large group, so I was fine, and it was one of those short buses and there was also a van loaded down too. I felt they were doing the best they could.  Well then came 11 am and at 1110 Andrea came out side and said she had called the driver and he was stuck in traffic and was on his way so he got there at 1130.  Yep on the ride over traffic was horrific and i was glad he was driving, he had to muscle his way though. But we made it and that was good.  He told us "I will pick you up right HERE between the pier 90 signs".  Now Bruce had told me that there were pickups on the return for 9 10 11 12.  I had the 10 but was off the boat at 845 and thru the terminal.  I was thinking if there was room we might catch the 9am.  Someone on here said to get a business card from the hotel,  This person knows his crap and at 930 we hadn't seen the shuttle so i called.  I was told it wouldn't be there till 1030.  WHAT?  Also was told gate 32 lower level.  WHAT GATE 32?  I asked workers they hadn't a clue but the hotel repeated it when I called them back.  People got mad, but then it is NYC. They started out for some ubers.  I found this older man who was directing people to the street and he said "AHA, i bet he was talking about bus slots to the left.   You had to look at the signs from the buses view point and they started at 29 so I found bus slot 32 and we waited. 1030 the bus and van slide up behind the bus that was in 32 slot and they search for passengers.  He got 12 of us on the bus and still had empty seats but around 11:10 or so decided to take us back to the hotel leaving the van there for more.  Now since we drove I thought with a 10am pickup and traffic and all I would be burning rubber down the interstate at 11 and here I was still at the cruise terminal.  Well we got back to the hotel, and I knew from Bruce that the free parking was up to 10 days and after that it is 16.50. Well the cruise was 10 days, plus the night we stayed there was a total of 11 so i saw Angela to pay the extra.  She told everyone naw forget it you are good to go. Cool!!!  Color me on the road.  BTW the parking is under the hotel, and it has those fence style rollup doors. The one was always closed but the other was only closed at night.  I felt fairly secure leaving the truck there.  But there isn't that many spots there so get yourself one and keep it.  No time though did i go into the garage that there wasn't one open space. Oh and i did have to drive to get supper, but there is a Target right there walking distance and great for that which you forgot.  So that is my take on Trinity, Fairfield and Transportation.  Overall, I would do it all again with the same players.  But may have used an uber for transport.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mredandchis said:

Well, I made it thru a NYC sailing.  ...

 

A tip: paragraphs are your friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 2:18 PM, 138east said:

So you’re sailing on Anthem Sun Dec 8, 2019.  Are you planning to leave early Sunday morning and drive to EWR.  You could Uber/Lyft to the port for $35-45.  No shuttles.  Cabs run in the $50-60 range.

 

For  winter cruise we recommend having a plan B to come a day early in case of bad weather.

no we are going up on Saturday. Decided against renting a car going to use our car and just park at the pier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are driving to Cape Liberty from Ottawa, Ontario.  We are looking for a hotel pre-cruise for a family of 5 and will park at the port.  Does anyone have any advice on the following?

 

La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clifton/Rutherford

Sonesta ES Suites Parsippany

Edited by ladybub101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 8:56 PM, 138east said:

I personally think it’s worth it.  The atmosphere in the Newport area of Jersey City is new and upscale whereas the airport area is urban industrialized.  The hotel is a few city blocks from I78.  You can actually stroll on the waterfront and see lower NYC day and night.  The Freedom Tower is lit up at night and it’s awesome.

 

 I dropped the ball and missed the “sale” at the Westin. Now we would have to pay $37.50 to buy more so we would have enough points.  In my frustration I booked the Element Harrison-Newark, but someone said the area isn’t safe at night. That makes me nervous to leave the hotel and to park our vehicle overnight. Should I cancel and go back to your Courtyard Elizabeth Suggestion?  I’m super bummed we missed out on the good deal for the Westin. Although we weren’t going to be there long, I was looking forward to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please see my post on your other thread.  The Courtyard Elizabeth would be fine as well, but IMO there is no real necessity to stay as close as possible to the port for a Sunday sail.  Element is extra urban driving you don’t need at the end of a long trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a very informative thread! This will be our first time going out of the NYC area and this has been a helpful read.

 

We're headed out of Bayonne in early October- obviously Newark is the closest airport and likely the best option, but how big of a hassle is it to fly into JFK or Laguardia, stay overnight around one of those areas, and then taxi/shuttle/uber in the Saturday morning of the cruise? Would the extra travel distance be worth the savings? How is traffic on the weekends in that direction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 138east said:

Please see my post on your other thread.  The Courtyard Elizabeth would be fine as well, but IMO there is no real necessity to stay as close as possible to the port for a Sunday sail.  Element is extra urban driving you don’t need at the end of a long trip.

 

Thank you for your help!!  I called Marriott and it was a breeze to switch hotels by phone. Thanks!  We now have reservations at the Residence Inn Jersey City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ladybub101 said:

We are driving to Cape Liberty from Ottawa, Ontario.  We are looking for a hotel pre-cruise for a family of 5 and will park at the port.  Does anyone have any advice on the following?

 

La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clifton/Rutherford

Sonesta ES Suites Parsippany

The Parsippany hotel will be in a more secluded,  suburban area. You will find choice of restaurants on nearby route 46.

 

The La Quinta is on a very busy highway, certain to be noisier than the ES but may not be an issue for 1 night.

 

La Quinta is adjacent to a mall with a Target, supermarket and 3 of 4 restaurants. I don't think you can walk to the mall because of fencing. Driving, you must use the back exit of the hotel and local roads to get to the mall.

 

You will have a better selection of restaurants by using the hotel's front entrance/exit directly into route 3 east to Park Avenue, Rutherford about 1 mile away.

 

The Clifton hotel is closer to Bayonne. Enter the NJ turnpike by the Meadowlands sports complex via 3 east.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, 138east said:

Could you provide a few more details?  It appears you are on a 14 day cruise.  Which company quoted you a price of $239 for Sep 7?  Does that include tax AND round trip port transportation. You get back on Sept 22, so how many hotel nights do you need post cruise and what is your budget?

 

Trinity is only $238 for your dates tax included with round trip port transportation and 21 days parking.  They have a cafe and a restaurant that cost extra.  The Doubletree next door also has restaurants and you can drive to Exit 13A for more choices at Jersey Gardens Mall.

 

 

 

It has taken me awhile to get back to you.  We have now booked through Trinity for the Holiday Inn in Carteret on September 7th.  Thanks for advising us about Trinity..

 

Now for help with where to stay so we can do some sightseeing in NYC after we get off the boat on September 22.  I 'd think 3 nights would be fine.  But I don't know about budget. It's hard to give a price when we don't know hotel prices in the area.  We most often reserve at 2 1/2 star hotels which usually include free breakfast and free parking for our car.  We do not have loyalty points.  Does that help?  We're not afraid to walk if need be to get to public transportation. Any advice would be welcome.  It's overwhelming to try to pick on our own when we don't have experience with this area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, THOREBLA said:

It has taken me awhile to get back to you.  We have now booked through Trinity for the Holiday Inn in Carteret on September 7th.  Thanks for advising us about Trinity..

 

Now for help with where to stay so we can do some sightseeing in NYC after we get off the boat on September 22.  I 'd think 3 nights would be fine.  But I don't know about budget. It's hard to give a price when we don't know hotel prices in the area.  We most often reserve at 2 1/2 star hotels which usually include free breakfast and free parking for our car.  We do not have loyalty points.  Does that help?  We're not afraid to walk if need be to get to public transportation. Any advice would be welcome.  It's overwhelming to try to pick on our own when we don't have experience with this area

Personally I’d consider booking the Ramada with trinity and spending a few bucks for a light breakfast.  Hotel is about 8 miles closer to the port.  Boarding is very quick and you can do an early lunch.  The Holiday Inn Carteret is right on the NJ Turnpike. When you debarked you will spend more time getting back to Carteret and then retracing your route north again.  Bruce at Trinity can be very helpful if you wish to change.

 

For a post cruise hotel I’d look at the La Quinta on Lighting Way in Secaucus, NJ which will give you the free parking and free breakfast.  There is frequent bus service for $4.25/pp to Port Authority in NYC ($1.95 if you’re 62+)

http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf

 

https://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo - bus 320

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2019 at 7:24 AM, ladybub101 said:

We are driving to Cape Liberty from Ottawa, Ontario.  We are looking for a hotel pre-cruise for a family of 5 and will park at the port.  Does anyone have any advice on the following?

 

La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clifton/Rutherford

Sonesta ES Suites Parsippany

I live a mile from Laquita, friends stay there when in town and say it’s fine. It’s super easy to drive to target and to the restaurants there (Shannon rose and spuntinos, both really good). There is a liquor store and stop and shop. There are also tons of restaurants in the local area with no need for a highway. Next to Laquita is a Red Robin, my son actually takes to bus Fromm route 3 to and from the city for his summer internship to Manhattan.

 

I google mapped it, easy 9 minute walk to target on a sidewalk.

Edited by mjkacmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the out-of-towners I’d just like to point out that there are currently 2 different La Quintas being discussed currently on this thread.  One is in Clifton/Rutherford and the other is in Secaucus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just discovered this thread tonight.  Glad I found it.  From reading this last page ...10 ... it looks like there is valuable information to be had.  I have a question to ask of you knowledgeable people.

 

In September, we will be driving to Bayonne from Toronto, Canada for 1 night, pre-cruise.  We have booked the Hampton Inn, Newark Airport.  Is this in a good location?  Is it a nice hotel?  Are there restaurants close by for dinner?  Breakfast is included, so we have no problem there.  We plan to drive to the port straight after breakfast. 

 

We were in Bayonne once before, pre-cruise and stayed at the Residence Inn, Newark/Liberty Int'l Airport.  I remember a great big Outlet Mall almost across the street.  That was super convenient for dinner and shopping.  Will we be far from that Mall if we stay at the Hampton Inn, Newark Airport?

 

 Thanks in advance for any input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, srfoxymom said:

I just discovered this thread tonight.  Glad I found it.  From reading this last page ...10 ... it looks like there is valuable information to be had.  I have a question to ask of you knowledgeable people.

 

In September, we will be driving to Bayonne from Toronto, Canada for 1 night, pre-cruise.  We have booked the Hampton Inn, Newark Airport.  Is this in a good location?  Is it a nice hotel?  Are there restaurants close by for dinner?  Breakfast is included, so we have no problem there.  We plan to drive to the port straight after breakfast. 

 

We were in Bayonne once before, pre-cruise and stayed at the Residence Inn, Newark/Liberty Int'l Airport.  I remember a great big Outlet Mall almost across the street.  That was super convenient for dinner and shopping.  Will we be far from that Mall if we stay at the Hampton Inn, Newark Airport?

 

 Thanks in advance for any input.

Hampton Inn is on the southwest side of the airport about 5-10 minutes from the Jersey Gardens Mall.  Did you consider Country Inns which is right at Jersey Gardens Mall?  It appears to be similarly priced for your date.

 

As you pointed out Hampton Inn has no food service other than free breakfast.  It has reasonable reviews.  However in the end these airport hotels are airport hotels and not vacation destinations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 138east said:

Hampton Inn is on the southwest side of the airport about 5-10 minutes from the Jersey Gardens Mall.  Did you consider Country Inns which is right at Jersey Gardens Mall?  It appears to be similarly priced for your date.

 

As you pointed out Hampton Inn has no food service other than free breakfast.  It has reasonable reviews.  However in the end these airport hotels are airport hotels and not vacation destinations.

 

Thank you for your quick response.  I think my husband selected Hampton Inn because we're Hilton Honours members.  But I will take a look at the Country Inn & Suites.  I see it's on International Blvd.  That's the same street where the Residence Inn was, where I stayed last time.  Is Jersey Gardens Mall large?  What is the name of the outlet mall that is near the Residence Inn?  Could I be mistaken and what I thought was an Outlet Mall was actually Jersey Gardens?    Thanks again.

Edited by srfoxymom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 138east said:

Hampton Inn is on the southwest side of the airport about 5-10 minutes from the Jersey Gardens Mall.  Did you consider Country Inns which is right at Jersey Gardens Mall?  It appears to be similarly priced for your date.

 

As you pointed out Hampton Inn has no food service other than free breakfast.  It has reasonable reviews.  However in the end these airport hotels are airport hotels and not vacation destinations.

 

I just checked out the Country Inn & Suites.  Yes, it does look good and it's on the same street we were on last time.  One problem ... there are no rooms available for the one night we need ... Sept. 7th.   What a pity.  I read a review that said they have a free shuttle to the port and you can leave your car at the hotel.  That would have been nice.  Too bad they're sold out for the date we need.  And yes ... the outlet mall I was asking about is actually Jersey Gardens Mall, also known as the Mills at Jersey Gardens.  So, if it's only 5-10 minutes away from the Hampton Inn, that's not too bad.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, srfoxymom said:

I think my husband selected Hampton Inn because we're Hilton Honours members. 

 

What about the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth (official name Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport)?  It's also a Hilton property, and is often recommended on this board.  We stayed there last year before sailing out of Bayonne and we'd recommend it too.. The included breakfast is much nicer than the breakfast at Hampton Inns.  It costs $20 to park for the night, there's a Ruby Tuesday  right  there (for dinner), and it's an easy drive to the port.  I just checked, and there are rooms available for September 7.   Just a thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

 

What about the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth (official name Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport)?  It's also a Hilton property, and is often recommended on this board.  We stayed there last year before sailing out of Bayonne and we'd recommend it too.. The included breakfast is much nicer than the breakfast at Hampton Inns.  It costs $20 to park for the night, there's a Ruby Tuesday  right  there (for dinner), and it's an easy drive to the port.  I just checked, and there are rooms available for September 7.   Just a thought.  

 

Thanks Turtles06.  I recognize your name from our Canada & New England Roll Call.   It's getting closer.  I just checked out the Embassy Suites.  I guess we must have booked our hotel quite a while ago ... cause there is presently a big difference in the price we paid for a 'Refundable' King Room  compared to this hotel now.  Almost USD $100.00 more for the night ... which translates to approx. CAD $130.00.  Our Canadian dollar sucks.  I'm hoping this Hampton Inn is nice.  We've stayed in them before, and most have been nice... with a great breakfast.  And it's only one night.  And if it's only 10-15 mins away from big outlet mall ... Mills at Jersey Gardens ... I'm happy.  Thanks for your suggestion, though.  Perhaps a few months ago, the price was more comparable and we would have chosen that one.  See you in a couple of months and on our Roll Call.

Edited by srfoxymom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@srfoxymom we stay in Hampton Inns frequently on road trips when we just need a place for a night or two. You should be fine. (No question prices are higher now than they were for earlier bookings.) See you on board! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking for suggestions for transportation from Cape Liberty to EWR.  Have found some on line but want to be sure before I pay up front.  Had an issue with Uber several years ago and didn't make the connection with the driver with the busy disembarkation. But I understand things have changed with Uber so that I can better identify the car and driver.  Our flight leaves too early to get the cruise line transportation.  any help with experiences with companies would be appreciated.  We are going in October on the Summit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, missannb said:

I am looking for suggestions for transportation from Cape Liberty to EWR.  Have found some on line but want to be sure before I pay up front.  Had an issue with Uber several years ago and didn't make the connection with the driver with the busy disembarkation. But I understand things have changed with Uber so that I can better identify the car and driver.  Our flight leaves too early to get the cruise line transportation.  any help with experiences with companies would be appreciated.  We are going in October on the Summit.

What is your exact date?  What time is your flight from Newark Airport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 138east said:

What is your exact date?  What time is your flight from Newark Airport?

October 20  12.06

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...