CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

52 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

We are a family of 8 traveling from Cape Liberty to LGA ... about 7:30 or 8:00 am on a Sunday?  Could we feasibly catch a 12pm flight out of LGA? 

It is a reasonable gamble as long as this is NOT the NYC Marathon Sunday, first of the month in November with the detours - but, still doable over the longest but faster route, west & north onto the NJ Turnpike over the GWB and then turn south into Queens for LGA.  As long as you are moving & out of CL by 8 a.m. - weather permitting, should be doable in 90 minutes or less, allow 2 hours as extra cushion with the ongoing long-term airport expansion-construction, as the congestion is mainly within LGA's shifting service roadways.  

A # of regulars had previously replied to your related questions & recommended using Dial 7 and/or Carmel, which we've been using consistently for airports & cruise terminals for over 10 years - there is a free  mobile App for both, and it's real-time based tracking not much different than the ones from ride-sharing.  Carmel consistently give us confirmed quotes for our trips & a few dollars (or more) lower than Dial 7 and there are online discount, your extended trip will qualify for a $5 discount off the base fare.  Going from NJ to NY, with 2 bridges and/or 1 tunnel & 1 bridge tolled crossing, depending on best/fastest routing, that's easily $25 per vehicle (x 2) & should be factored in.  

With 8 pax and luggage, 2 regular 4 door sedan might be a tight fit as you probably should book a minivan ($10 to $15 higher) plus a sedan, and it will fit everyone & everything.  

That's what I would do, not to risk & try to save $10 or $20 going with a NJ Uber or Lyft (availability is more limited) driver who might NOT know all the shortcuts, bypass & best way to get you (both vehicle) to LGA in the fastest possible time, if there's an unexpected road closure, hazmat or other major incidents on a "quiet" Sunday.  Spend your money wisely & happy cruising ! 

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

It is a reasonable gamble as long as this is NOT the NYC Marathon Sunday, first of the month in November with the detours - but, still doable over the longest but faster route, west & north onto the NJ Turnpike over the GWB and then turn south into Queens for LGA.  As long as you are moving & out of CL by 8 a.m. - weather permitting, should be doable in 90 minutes or less, allow 2 hours as extra cushion with the ongoing long-term airport expansion-construction, as the congestion is mainly within LGA's shifting service roadways.  

A # of regulars had previously replied to your related questions & recommended using Dial 7 and/or Carmel, which we've been using consistently for airports & cruise terminals for over 10 years - there is a free  mobile App for both, and it's real-time based tracking not much different than the ones from ride-sharing.  Carmel consistently give us confirmed quotes for our trips & a few dollars (or more) lower than Dial 7 and there are online discount, your extended trip will qualify for a $5 discount off the base fare.  Going from NJ to NY, with 2 bridges and/or 1 tunnel & 1 bridge tolled crossing, depending on best/fastest routing, that's easily $25 per vehicle (x 2) & should be factored in.  

With 8 pax and luggage, 2 regular 4 door sedan might be a tight fit as you probably should book a minivan ($10 to $15 higher) plus a sedan, and it will fit everyone & everything.  

That's what I would do, not to risk & try to save $10 or $20 going with a NJ Uber or Lyft (availability is more limited) driver who might NOT know all the shortcuts, bypass & best way to get you (both vehicle) to LGA in the fastest possible time, if there's an unexpected road closure, hazmat or other major incidents on a "quiet" Sunday.  Spend your money wisely & happy cruising ! 

Wow!  Thank you soooo much!  I have contacted Carmel and made a reservation.  It isn't until June so I have plenty of time.  If the tolls are $25 for each trip and each car, I may just choose the option to include the tolls and tip.  That way there are no surprises and I don't have to worry about a tip.  I will take your advice and change one sedan to a minivan.  My sister does pack a lot of luggage and I want to make sure we have plenty of room and get there without any issues!  When we walked off the ship in Florida, there was not a line.  We just walked off at 7:00 and were at the curb by 7:15.  From there we went right into a cab for the airport.  But, I know traffic is much, much different in New York. Thanks again!

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or if I should start my own, but want to share a recommendation for those traveling I-80 through PA en route to NYC.

We recently took a cruise from Brooklyn and wanted to stop for a quick brunch before entering heavy traffic.  We found a great local place at exit 307 called Compton's Pancake House http://www.comptonspancakehouse.com/ 

Easy on and off, pleasant service, and tasty food.  They have a special for $5.25 (with purchase of a drink - drinks were under $3) that was a lot of food so it's easy on the budget too.

Hope this helps someone 🙂 

Looking for car service suggestions and information.  We will land at EWR at 6:45pm on Friday Nov. 8 and need to get to our hotel in Midtown Manhattan.  Trains and buses won't work for my elderly mother and our luggage.  Any idea how long it will take at the time on a Friday night?  And what range would a car service fare be?  Any recommendations in addition to Dial 7 or Carmel Limo? Or should I see what he hotel concierge can arrange for us?

We will be going back to EWR from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Friday Nov. 15.  Our flight to Burlington is at 3:00, but it sounds like we should get a car service to take us to EWR in the morning when we get off the ship.  Any ideas on what time we should make the car service reservation?

Hi 138East, 

I am hoping you can help me out again. We are driving in for Dec 1st Anthem departure, expecting to arrive on the 29th (just in case of weather issues). Looking for a decent (we usually stay in Hiltons) hotel, with easy commute to the port in the morning. 
Prefer a hotel with free parking and restaurant/bar. Strongly considering Staten Island Hilton or Hampton, just to avoid the airport area chaos. Thoughts? Recommendations?

On 9/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, herdingdogmom said:

Looking for car service suggestions and information.  We will land at EWR at 6:45pm on Friday Nov. 8 and need to get to our hotel in Midtown Manhattan.  Trains and buses won't work for my elderly mother and our luggage.  Any idea how long it will take at the time on a Friday night?  And what range would a car service fare be?  Any recommendations in addition to Dial 7 or Carmel Limo? Or should I see what he hotel concierge can arrange for us?

We will be going back to EWR from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Friday Nov. 15.  Our flight to Burlington is at 3:00, but it sounds like we should get a car service to take us to EWR in the morning when we get off the ship.  Any ideas on what time we should make the car service reservation?

You probably won't get too many, if any at all, recommendations on this board for anything other than Carmel or Dial 7 for trips between EWR and Manhattan. Not that there aren't other car services, but most people seem happy enough with one or both of them. The one thing you don't want to do is get the hotel concierge to arrange it.The hotel gets a referral fee  from the car service and you'll end up paying more than you have to. It's very easy to make arrangements yourself with Carmel or Dial 7 via their websites, telephone, or their smartphone apps.

Time is very variable because traffic conditions are so variable and you didn't say exactly where you're going in Midtown, but it could be as little as 35 or 40 minutes or it could be well over an hour.

If your ship is docking at 7 am or so I would make the car service reservations for 10 . Your flight isn't early so there's no need to be rushing off the ship. 

1 hour ago, kellers13 said:

Hi 138East, 

I am hoping you can help me out again. We are driving in for Dec 1st Anthem departure, expecting to arrive on the 29th (just in case of weather issues). Looking for a decent (we usually stay in Hiltons) hotel, with easy commute to the port in the morning. 
Prefer a hotel with free parking and restaurant/bar. Strongly considering Staten Island Hilton or Hampton, just to avoid the airport area chaos. Thoughts? Recommendations?

If you don't mind someone other than Carol answering...Staten island is out of your way if you're coming from Ontario, and you'll pay a stiff extra toll to take one of the bridges from NJ to Staten Island. Are you driving in on I  80 ?

If so, Parsippany, NJ would be a convenient place to stop for the night...suburban and corporate office park type of town, with many hotels including a Hilton and a Hampton Inn.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

If you don't mind someone other than Carol answering...Staten island is out of your way if you're coming from Ontario, and you'll pay a stiff extra toll to take one of the bridges from NJ to Staten Island. Are you driving in on I  80 ?

If so, Parsippany, NJ would be a convenient place to stop for the night...suburban and corporate office park type of town, with many hotels including a Hilton and a Hampton Inn.

What would the tolls be?? Parsippany is too far out. We want to be closer in case the weather is good, to go into the city.

30 minutes ago, kellers13 said:

What would the tolls be?? Parsippany is too far out. We want to be closer in case the weather is good, to go into the city.

No free parking, but there are waterfront hotels with decent access to Manhattan. There are hotels in secaucus with free parking where you can catch a bus close by.

57 minutes ago, kellers13 said:

$15 bridge toll to go from NJ to Staten Island. The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn aren't particularly convenient for making  a trip to Manhattan either.

Perhaps you might try a hotel in the Secaucus/ Harmon Meadow area. In the Hilton brand family there's an Embassy Suites. You can take the #320 bus from there in to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Maybe a 25 minute trip. I think the one way adult fare is $4.25.

Edited by njhorseman

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No free parking, but there are waterfront hotels with decent access to Manhattan. There are hotels in secaucus with free parking where you can catch a bus close by.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

$15 bridge toll to go from NJ to Staten Island. The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn aren't particularly convenient for making  a trip to Manhattan either.

Perhaps you might try a hotel in the Secaucus/ Harmon Meadow area. In the Hilton brand family there's an Embassy Suites. You can take the #320 bus from there in to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Maybe a 25 minute trip. I think the one way adult fare is $4.25.

Staying in Secaucus or staying in Jersey City are both good options.  However Jersey City is more expensive and there is a parking charge in the $25/day range.

Here’s the map for Harmon Meadows showing hotels, restaurants, and outlets.  http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf.  For your dates 11/29-12/1 Embassy Suites is pricey at $199.  Courtyard Marriott is $119 and Residence Inn is $135.  These would be comparable properties in the Marriott hotel chain.

9 hours ago, kellers13 said:

Add East Rutherford NJ as an option. Hilton across from the sports complex, Homewood Suites on rt 17 south & Residence Inn off Paterson Plank Rd. The Hilton is isolated, the other two locations are close to numerous food options on 17. Park Avenue in Rutherford has non chain good dining options.

What are everyone's thoughts on staying near Newark Penn Station? Last time we stayed at the Hilton, but did not bring our car...so this is a factor to consider.

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

2 hours ago, kellers13 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on staying near Newark Penn Station? Last time we stayed at the Hilton, but did not bring our car...so this is a factor to consider.

What was the Newark Penn Station Hilton has been rebranded as the DoubleTree By Hilton Newark Penn Station. You've said that you prefer a hotel with free parking. The Doubletree charges $34 per night for parking. If you decide that you are willing to pay for parking I think Jersey City is a better option. A  nicer area than downtown Newark

As to your second question, I answered it in an earlier post...the bridge toll from NJ to Staten Island is $15, and the Staten Island hotels are not conveniently located for a quick day trip to Manhattan.

Could you identify your priorities?  Hotel cost( how much do you want to spend each night for 2 nights?). Must you stay at a Hilton property? Free parking?  Easy access to NYC?  Something to do if weather is bad?  Easy access to Cape Liberty?

You have to look at the big picture total cost - how much is the hotel, parking, and transportation to NYC vs the time vs the stress.  All the locations mentioned have good access to Cape Liberty via the NJ Turnpike and local streets.

Edited by 138east

Does not have to be a Hilton, just an example. Would prefer easy access to NYC. Free parking is preferred, but not 100% necessary. Easy commute to Cape Liberty is high on the list (we are parking at the port).

As far as cost, would like to stay around 300-350 USD total for the 2 nights. 

Thank you all for your help. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on Staten Island.

I will take a look today at Jersey City.

I felt that downtown Newark was not a great area, so thank you all again. :)

So to add to that, a "decent (safe)" area is important to.

1 hour ago, kellers13 said:

Does not have to be a Hilton, just an example. Would prefer easy access to NYC. Free parking is preferred, but not 100% necessary. Easy commute to Cape Liberty is high on the list (we are parking at the port).

As far as cost, would like to stay around 300-350 USD total for the 2 nights. 

Thank you all for your help. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on Staten Island.

I will take a look today at Jersey City.

I felt that downtown Newark was not a great area, so thank you all again. 🙂

So to add to that, a "decent (safe)" area is important to.

Jersey City is going to be very difficult with a $300-350 budget to get an acceptable hotel with good NYC transportation access.  If you see something, run the property by us for neighborhood opinions and transportation options.  For example the Holland Hotel has been fixed up, but it still fronts on the entrance to the Holland Tunnel with 7x24 Tunnel traffic in a scuzzy neighborhood.  The less expensive properties tend to be in poor transportation locations.

I still recommend seriously considering Harmon Cove in Secaucus.  The bus transportation into the city runs very often and there is a selection of hotels, restaurants, and shopping should you decide not to go into the city.  It’s about 16 miles to the port with about 90% turnpike driving.

3 hours ago, go fish 44 said:

Just arrived at Bayonne and was very surprized to find no taxis available only Uber or Lyft.

Just a heads up for anyone who does not have the app on their phone for one of these companies.

That’s very interesting.  Where did you look for cabs?  Did you ask?  There was a taxi dispatch area earlier this year located in the open parking area.  It was run by the three Bayonne cab companies.  The cabs were staged in that area.

So I thought I had pretty much figured our the area we would be staying, decided on Secaucus/Harmon area. Then I discovered these 2 Marriott's by the ferry (port imperial), the Envue and the Residence Inn....and am seriously considering these simply for the convenience, and views.

Thoughts on this area???

48 minutes ago, kellers13 said:

So I thought I had pretty much figured our the area we would be staying, decided on Secaucus/Harmon area. Then I discovered these 2 Marriott's by the ferry (port imperial), the Envue and the Residence Inn....and am seriously considering these simply for the convenience, and views.

Thoughts on this area???

These are similar to the Jersey City properties mentioned, on the waterfront, but not within your budget and no free parking. 

51 minutes ago, kellers13 said:

Thoughts on this area???

These are two brand new Marriott hotels which are getting good reviews but also seem to be working out some kinks.  They share the same location.  There’s not much to do in that area without driving (and probably paying to park somewhere).  These hotels do not have pools.

Both offer parking for $20/day.  Envue is the upscale hotel, but offers no free breakfast and may not have free WiFi.  My guess is that it has better views.  Residence Inn offers free breakfast and free WiFi and probably not as nice views.  Ferry fare to Manhattan is $9/pp each way for ferry plus free bus to midtown  destinations. When you add up the room plus tax plus parking plus ferry, it’s going to exceed your budget.

21 hours ago, 138east said:

That’s very interesting.  Where did you look for cabs?  Did you ask?  There was a taxi dispatch area earlier this year located in the open parking area.  It was run by the three Bayonne cab companies.  The cabs were staged in that area.

Yes, we asked the police person and a rep from Royal and we walked to the area that said Taxis with a huge sign and the only thing there was a limo and we talked to the limo driver and he said no more taxis.  As we do not have Uber on our phone we had to wait  for a friend to get off the ship and in the half hour we waited no taxis appeared, just Ubers that had been ordered.

That was last Friday.  We were luggage tag number 2 the first group after self assist off the ship.

59 minutes ago, go fish 44 said:

Yes, we asked the police person and a rep from Royal and we walked to the area that said Taxis with a huge sign and the only thing there was a limo and we talked to the limo driver and he said no more taxis.  As we do not have Uber on our phone we had to wait  for a friend to get off the ship and in the half hour we waited no taxis appeared, just Ubers that had been ordered.

That was last Friday.  We were luggage tag number 2 the first group after self assist off the ship.

Thanks very much for reporting your experience.  I wonder what happened.  Perhaps others will comment.