CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

39 minutes ago, H8mundays said:

Ok so what if I return the car to the airport what can I expect to pay for a cab or shuttle from the airport to cape liberty cruise terminal?  (I appreciate all your help)

The suggestion would be to use Uber or Lyft, which I haven’t used from the airport.  I’m thinking it would run $25-40 - folks will need to post their experiences.  No shuttles unles you buy the cruise line transfer for about $28.50/pp.  Cab would be in the $50-65 range.

Are you planning to drive from VA the morning of the cruise?  Did you consider a park/sleep cruise package with 14-21 days parking through trinityreservations.com since you’re sailing in December on a 12 night cruise?

On 3/8/2019 at 8:03 PM, 138east said:

The suggestion would be to use Uber or Lyft, which I haven’t used from the airport.  I’m thinking it would run $25-40 - folks will need to post their experiences.  No shuttles unles you buy the cruise line transfer for about $28.50/pp.  Cab would be in the $50-65 range.

Are you planning to drive from VA the morning of the cruise?  Did you consider a park/sleep cruise package with 14-21 days parking through trinityreservations.com since you’re sailing in December on a 12 night cruise?

We are driving up the day before but don't want to pay for the rental for the 12 nights plus parking.  I will look into Uber/Lyft.  

1 hour ago, H8mundays said:

We are driving up the day before but don't want to pay for the rental for the 12 nights plus parking.  I will look into Uber/Lyft.  

Sorry - I wasn’t 100% clear.  I was actually wondering why you weren’t just driving your own car, if you have one.  The park/sleep/cruise packages work for personal cars, but the sleep/cruise packages would work with a rental car, particularly if you use a vendor that is accessible on the free Airtrain.

Where are you coming from in VA?  Is Amtrak an option?

On 3/8/2019 at 8:03 PM, 138east said:

Hello, we are staying at the Marriott at Newark Airport the night before. Want to confirm, Uber is allowed to drop off/pick up at Cape Liberty Cruise terminal? Second question, best way to get from EWR to the 9/11 memorial in the city?

1 hour ago, Blauelini said:

Hello, we are staying at the Marriott at Newark Airport the night before. Want to confirm, Uber is allowed to drop off/pick up at Cape Liberty Cruise terminal? Second question, best way to get from EWR to the 9/11 memorial in the city?

Uber can drop off and pick up at Cape Liberty.

Take the Marriott shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station and ride the free airtrain to the Newark Airport train Station.  Buy a NJ Transit ticket to go one stop to Newark Penn Station for $8.50/pp.  At Newark Penn Station across the platform buy a PATH ticket for $2.75/pp to go to the World Trade Center.  Reverse the process to come back.  Uber directly from the hotel to Newark Penn Station to pick up PATH is also an option.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Edited by 138east
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2019 at 12:56 PM, 138east said:

Sorry - I wasn’t 100% clear.  I was actually wondering why you weren’t just driving your own car, if you have one.  The park/sleep/cruise packages work for personal cars, but the sleep/cruise packages would work with a rental car, particularly if you use a vendor that is accessible on the free Airtrain.

Where are you coming from in VA?  Is Amtrak an option?

It is actually cheaper to do 2 one way car rentals that it is to take Amtrak.  We are going to come up the day before and return the car to the airport then take the hotels shuttle back to the hotel.  The day of the cruise I think we are just going to find a shuttle (the hotel recommended one that is reasonable) to the ship.  We are staying at the Home 2 Suites.

43 minutes ago, H8mundays said:

It is actually cheaper to do 2 one way car rentals that it is to take Amtrak.  We are going to come up the day before and return the car to the airport then take the hotels shuttle back to the hotel.  The day of the cruise I think we are just going to find a shuttle (the hotel recommended one that is reasonable) to the ship.  We are staying at the Home 2 Suites.

Sounds like a plan!  To minimize your luggage handling, my advice would be to drop your luggage off first and then return the car.  You really don’t want to wrangle your luggage on the airtrain or shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station to transfer to the hotel shuttle if you don’t have to.

Hi, we are flying into LGA (much cheaper than EWR for us) for cruise on Anthem end of July.  It will be me and my husband and our 3 adult kids.  We have never been to NYC, so we are NEWBIES!

1. Looking for transportation options from LGA to a hotel near the port (Jersey City maybe) with easy access to NYC or Statue of Liberty.   We will have at least 6 bags and 5 adults. We arrive at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning before Saturday departure.
  2. Day of cruise- How do we get from hotel in Jersey City, etc to port?
  3. End of cruise- Transportation from Cape Liberty Bayonne back to midtown?  Have hotel booked near Times Square (Holiday inn Express South) for additional 4 days to sight see in NYC after cruise.
  4. Best and safest way from midtown to LGA for flight home LATE on a Saturday night?

Looking for opinions on which Marriott to stay at near Cape Liberty on Wednesday June 5. We have points for a free night and have narrowed it down to the Courtyard at Newark Airport or Courtyard in Elizabeth (both offer queen beds). We're driving in from western PA on I-80 and won't arrive at hotel until 7 or 8 so dinner/entertainment is not an issue. We're planning on driving and parking at the cruise port so (I think) my biggest question is which hotel will be easiest to get to the cruise port from the next morning. If there are other factors I should consider, please let me know. Thanks in advance, this board has been a wealth of information for me.

1 hour ago, may_bartram said:

Looking for opinions on which Marriott to stay at near Cape Liberty on Wednesday June 5. We have points for a free night and have narrowed it down to the Courtyard at Newark Airport or Courtyard in Elizabeth (both offer queen beds). We're driving in from western PA on I-80 and won't arrive at hotel until 7 or 8 so dinner/entertainment is not an issue. We're planning on driving and parking at the cruise port so (I think) my biggest question is which hotel will be easiest to get to the cruise port from the next morning. If there are other factors I should consider, please let me know. Thanks in advance, this board has been a wealth of information for me.

If you’re coming in I-80, the Courtyard Newark is the first Courtyard you will hit with options to access it from either I80 or I78.  It’s right by Turnpike exit 14 where you can get directly onto the turnpike extension (I78 east to Holland Tunnel) to go one exit to exit 14A in Bayonne for Cape Liberty.  Be sure you pull down the written directions because that area can be confusing.

The Courtyard Elizabeth is one exit south at exit 13A with access to the restaurants and shops at Jersey Gardens Mall.  The extra tolls are about $2.90.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.  Parking and disembarkation day questions.  We've never been to this port.

We are three adults, arriving by car on a Saturday.  Cruise ends Friday.  Planning to park at the cruise port garage.  Do you pay the $22/day up front?

Also, we'd like to hit a few sights on Friday after the cruise.  Probably Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Times Square.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

I was thinking Statue of Liberty first, from the state park--how do we get to the State Park?  Can we leave our car at the port and pay for an extra day?

After that, what is the best way to get to Manhattan (and back, if we leave the car in the lot)?  Should we purchase a tour, try mass transit, or drive our car?  Time is not a factor, other than we'd like to be done by like 3:00 PM and on our way home.

Thoughts on this plan?  Suggestions?  Thank you for any information you can share.  We are not complete city/mass transit newbies--just haven't done it in NYC.

1 hour ago, BooBooMonkey said:

Hi there.  Parking and disembarkation day questions.  We've never been to this port.

We are three adults, arriving by car on a Saturday.  Cruise ends Friday.  Planning to park at the cruise port garage.  Do you pay the $22/day up front?

Also, we'd like to hit a few sights on Friday after the cruise.  Probably Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Times Square.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

I was thinking Statue of Liberty first, from the state park--how do we get to the State Park?  Can we leave our car at the port and pay for an extra day?

After that, what is the best way to get to Manhattan (and back, if we leave the car in the lot)?  Should we purchase a tour, try mass transit, or drive our car?  Time is not a factor, other than we'd like to be done by like 3:00 PM and on our way home.

Thoughts on this plan?  Suggestions?  Thank you for any information you can share.  We are not complete city/mass transit newbies--just haven't done it in NYC.

When you enter you get a ticket which you take with you. After the cruise you pay by cash or credit card in a machine to get an exit ticket from the garage.  Post cruise you drive to Liberty State Park - exit 14A to 14B on the NJ Turnpike.  Parking for the day should be $7 - a real steal in this area.  Go to the SOL, take the return ferry to Manhattan, walk to the 911 Memorial, and take the subway to Times Square and back.  The Liberty Landing Ferry from World Financial Center  will take you back to your car at Liberty State Park.  This ferry runs until about 7:30 pm on the weekend.  http://www.libertylandingferry.com/documents/SC_Liberty_Ferry_Schedule_09114967.pdf

More details can be provided.

IMO taking a car into NYC is useless and expensive for what you want to do.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, triplefigs said:

Hi, we are flying into LGA (much cheaper than EWR for us) for cruise on Anthem end of July.  It will be me and my husband and our 3 adult kids.  We have never been to NYC, so we are NEWBIES!

1. Looking for transportation options from LGA to a hotel near the port (Jersey City maybe) with easy access to NYC or Statue of Liberty.   We will have at least 6 bags and 5 adults. We arrive at MIDNIGHT on Thursday night/Friday morning before Saturday departure.
  3. End of cruise- Transportation from Cape Liberty Bayonne back to midtown?  Have hotel booked near Times Square (Holiday inn Express South) for additional 4 days to sight see in NYC after cruise.
  4. Best and safest way from midtown to LGA for flight home LATE on a Saturday night?

1.  I don't know if GoAirLink will take you there but that is the popular airport shared bus transportation.  Go to their site and plug in the address and see if it works. I would recommend GoAirLink for this if they will do it. Otherwise you need a large Taxi to do it or book a limo service - there are many and you can see recommendations in this board.

2. Suggest large taxi or two Ubers.

3. GoAirlink or large Taxi or limo service.

4. GoAirlink or large Taxi.  Realize that for any flight you should be leaving midtown 3 or 4 hours before flight time.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:38 AM, triplefigs said:

I somehow missed this post.  The Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City is $260 plus tax for 2 Queens and a sofa bed for your dates for 5 people. We stayed there with 2 Adult children and a 6 mo old and it was great.  PATH station is right next door for going directly to midtown or downtown on a Friday weekday.  This would be your easiest access to NYC.

If you can manage your luggage post cruise, you can go to the Bayonne light rail station by cab ($5/pp), accessible light rail to Hoboken ($2.25/pp), and PATH to 33rd St to be 4-5 blocks from your hotel.  For comparison purposes that’s $50 for 5 people.  From the Courtyard to the port your public transit option would be to walk 2 blocks to the light rail, take the 8th St Bayonne train to 34th St., and Uber into the port.  You should plan to be at the port between 10-10:30 to avoid the backups on the port road.  Anthem usually boards by 11 am.  In my experience there is absolutely no reason to arrive later - you’re just asking to get caught in delays that are much worse than sitting around in a boarding lounge for a few minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

1.  I don't know if GoAirLink will take you there but that is the popular airport shared bus transportation.  Go to their site and plug in the address and see if it works. I would recommend GoAirLink for this if they will do it. Otherwise you need a large Taxi to do it or book a limo service - there are many and you can see recommendations in this board.

2. Suggest large taxi or two Ubers.

3. GoAirlink or large Taxi or limo service.

4. GoAirlink or large Taxi.  Realize that for any flight you should be leaving midtown 3 or 4 hours before flight time.

You never want to take a NY City taxi to anywhere in NJ other than EWR.  First, they're not required to take you to NJ with the exception of to EWR . Second, even if you can find a taxi willing to do it they can charge you whatever they feel they can get away with, which is likely to result in a massive rip off. Limo or car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel is the way to go for interstate travel. 

Also, in NY the shared ride services such as SuperShuttle and GoAirLink tend to be awful. We generally only recommend them if no other option is available.

GoAirlink doesn't appear to provide service from Cape Liberty to NY City.

Edited by njhorseman

On 3/26/2019 at 4:14 PM, 138east said:

When you enter you get a ticket which you take with you. After the cruise you pay by cash or credit card in a machine to get an exit ticket from the garage.  Post cruise you drive to Liberty State Park - exit 14A to 14B on the NJ Turnpike.  Parking for the day should be $7 - a real steal in this area.  Go to the SOL, take the return ferry to Manhattan, walk to the 911 Memorial, and take the subway to Times Square and back.  The Liberty Landing Ferry from World Financial Center  will take you back to your car at Liberty State Park.  This ferry runs until about 7:30 pm on the weekend.  http://www.libertylandingferry.com/documents/SC_Liberty_Ferry_Schedule_09114967.pdf

More details can be provided.

IMO taking a car into NYC is useless and expensive for what you want to do.

Sounds like a perfect plan.  Thanks a bunch!

Hello,

We are cruising from Bayonne on June 16(Celebrity Infinity).  We are driving from SC and would like to park at the port.  I notice before our sailing two large RCI ships are sailing and will not be back by June 16.  I am a little concerned about parking availability.  We sailed from this port last October and had no problem, but, then again, there was only one RCI ship we were dealing with.  On the port site it mentions "guaranteed parking availability" but I am skeptical.  Thoughts?  THANK YOU!

On 3/27/2019 at 2:11 PM, njhorseman said:

You never want to take a NY City taxi to anywhere in NJ other than EWR.  First, they're not required to take you to NJ with the exception of to EWR . Second, even if you can find a taxi willing to do it they can charge you whatever they feel they can get away with, which is likely to result in a massive rip off. Limo or car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel is the way to go for interstate travel. 

Also, in NY the shared ride services such as SuperShuttle and GoAirLink tend to be awful. We generally only recommend them if no other option is available.

GoAirlink doesn't appear to provide service from Cape Liberty to NY City.

Good point on taxies and NJ.

But I have had good services from GoAirLink several times, and they definitely list Cape Liberty to NYC as available right now.  They are cheaper than Carmel and Dial7.  I think it's between these and a choice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Good point on taxies and NJ.

But I have had good services from GoAirLink several times, and they definitely list Cape Liberty to NYC as available right now.  They are cheaper than Carmel and Dial7.  I think it's between these and a choice.

FWIW, although they list Cape Liberty on their menu I tried a couple of test bookings from Cape Liberty on a day when there is a ship disembarking to various hotels in Manhattan that are on their list of hotel destinations and the booking attempts came back as "There are no services available matching the selection." That's why I said it doesn't appear to provide service from Cape Liberty to NY City.

Edited by njhorseman

I don’t recall anyone ever posting on this board that they used GoAirLink from Cape Liberty to Manhattan.  Getting interstate transportation between Cape Liberty and Manhattan hotels is discussed all the time on these boards for both embarkation and disembarkation.  Basically the choices are:

1) Car Service - big fleet operators like Dial7 and Carmellimo are recommended because they consistently provide reliable service

2) Uber - this choice has become increasingly popular

3) Cape Liberty taxi dispatcher - they will go many places for a price

4) Accessible Public Transit via light rail and PATH to 33rd & 6th or World Trade in Manhattan

Tolls to Manhattan are $15 plus some miscellaneous turnpike tolls.  Tolls can be unpredictable depending on your direction and the home base of the transportation.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:33 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

Hello,

We are cruising from Bayonne on June 16(Celebrity Infinity).  We are driving from SC and would like to park at the port.  I notice before our sailing two large RCI ships are sailing and will not be back by June 16.  I am a little concerned about parking availability.  We sailed from this port last October and had no problem, but, then again, there was only one RCI ship we were dealing with.  On the port site it mentions "guaranteed parking availability" but I am skeptical.  Thoughts?  THANK YOU!

During the summer months when the three ships are in Bayonne (not on the same days of course), the parking lots are pretty full. There are vehicles of all kinds all over the place. There has never been a problem with parking availability. The only caveat I offer is that anyone expecting that parking in the garage is guaranteed, could be in for a surprise and you could get surface parking across from the terminal or even between the two buildings next to the old terminal. It is very short walking distance either way. You can drop your luggage off first.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bayonnejoe said:

During the summer months when the three ships are in Bayonne (not on the same days of course), the parking lots are pretty full. There are vehicles of all kinds all over the place. There has never been a problem with parking availability. The only caveat I offer is that anyone expecting that parking in the garage is guaranteed, could be in for a surprise and you could get surface parking across from the terminal or even between the two buildings next to the old terminal. It is very short walking distance either way. You can drop your luggage off first.

Thank you!

Pony up - heads up for travelers (not sure where to post this, probably need to be in multiple "sticky" for visitors 

Tolls in NYC going up as of midnight, March 31 - this Sunday (shortly, thereof ...) 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6868473/New-MTA-bridge-tunnel-toll-prices-start-Sunday-drivers-seeking-cross-New-York.html 

The typical EZ-Pass fare will be $6.12 instead of $5.72 now, or $9.50 one-way cash lane instead of $8.50 now for the Queens Midtown or Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (Brooklyn Cruise Terminal) and the RFK (formerly, Triborough) Bridge to/from LGA Airport.  

Henry Hudson River (Riverdale/Bronx - Upper Manhattan) crossing, for folks coming to/from Manhattan Cruise Terminal from points north & east of NYC - a preferred bypass (upstate NY, CT, VT, RI & MA) - EZP toll will be $2.80 but $7.00 without one (bill/pay-by-mail).  

The Verrazzano Bridge toll (now at $15) will be $19 cash, EZP rate will be $17 - one way only from Brooklyn to Staten Island or N.J. bound, not coming into NY via SI into Brooklyn ... but the Hudson River crossing toll will apply.  

Tolls for the Hudson River (NJ to NY, one way east-bound only) remains unchanged for now at $15 for cash ... EZ-Pass off-peak rates are lower.   

As of April 21, discounts for MTA's bus & subway fares are being changed as well - with MetroCard, a single ride is still $2.75 but $3.00 without one (taking a bus & paying coins or using SBS services on select routes with pay before boarding with a printed receipt, etc.) 

All these, on top of "congestion pricing" for taxis/car services & all FHV (Uber/Lyft, etc. ) of $2.50 or $2.75 per trip in core Manhattan, south of 96th Street, river-to-river, will simply make the trip a little more expensive.  Not much we can do, just pay - sorry.  It is what it is ... probably left out or missed some details, just be aware - always ask for a receipt when using a taxi, car service or ride-sharing; or, an E-receipt. 

Feel free to add/amend & clarify since Spring break is coming and April is a busy time for cruises in the greater NY area at all 3 terminals.