Cruise Critic Community
megr1125

CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

On 3/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, BooBooMonkey said:

Planning to park at the cruise port garage.  Do you pay the $22/day up front?

Hey @BooBooMonkey, we're Columbus-based cruisers as well, and will be following you through NJ just a couple months later on Adventure.  Enjoy your cruise!

As 138east mentioned earlier, the garage has a machine you can pay prior to exiting, but I am hoping she can chime in regarding the overflow lot.  When we cruised out of Bayonne a couple years ago, we ended up in the overflow lot right across the street and I think we had to pay cash upfront, but honestly cannot remember now.  Just figured it was worth a follow up in case you happen to get sent to overflow.

@138east, do you know about payment for the overflow lot?  Pre-cruise?  Also, thanks for all your knowledge sharing on NJ!

3 hours ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

Hey @BooBooMonkey, we're Columbus-based cruisers as well, and will be following you through NJ just a couple months later on Adventure.  Enjoy your cruise!

As 138east mentioned earlier, the garage has a machine you can pay prior to exiting, but I am hoping she can chime in regarding the overflow lot.  When we cruised out of Bayonne a couple years ago, we ended up in the overflow lot right across the street and I think we had to pay cash upfront, but honestly cannot remember now.  Just figured it was worth a follow up in case you happen to get sent to overflow.

@138east, do you know about payment for the overflow lot?  Pre-cruise?  Also, thanks for all your knowledge sharing on NJ!

Unfortunately I don’t know how payment in the overflow lot currently works.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:44 PM, llettieri said:

Yes, I will be bringing their seats. 5 & 6, and both are in high-back boosters. 

I work for an airline, it is easiest to just leave the boosters at home. You won't be able to use them on the train, plane, but I don't know about the shuttle. I would just uber from a hotel. Usually, hotel shuttles are signed up for in advance, or it is first come, first serve. I have dealt with that in the past without my kids in Florida and would not want to do that again. 

Posted (edited)

New to this departure port....looking at a park and cruise through trinity at the holiday inn?  We are coming from upstate NY.  Thanks in advance for sny info...

Edited by chipperberg
mis spelled word

11 minutes ago, chipperberg said:

New to this departure port....looking at a park and cruise through trinity at the holiday inn?  We are coming from nbn upstate NY.  Thanks in advance for sny info...

The Holiday Inn is on route 1/9 in Carteret - a highly urban area on a major truck route. Unless you need a room for 5 people, seriously consider the Ramada, Springhill Suites, or the Crowne Plaza from Trinity.

3 minutes ago, 138east said:

The Holiday Inn is on route 1/9 in Carteret - a highly urban area on a major truck route. Unless you need a room for 5 people, seriously consider the Ramada, Springhill Suites, or the Crowne Plaza from Trinity.

Thank you.  I will stay away.  We are a family of 4, 2 boys ages 4 and 8 traveling Aug. 24 and cruising Aug. 25.  I have driven to the port in Baltimore several times but this is brand new.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

If you’re coming south on the turnpike or east on I78, the Ramada and Springhill Suites are easily accessible, but have good written directions.  The Ramada offers 2 double beds and Springhill Suites offers a king and sofa bed.

23 hours ago, 138east said:

If you’re coming south on the turnpike or east on I78, the Ramada and Springhill Suites are easily accessible, but have good written directions.  The Ramada offers 2 double beds and Springhill Suites offers a king and sofa bed.

Would that be the Ramada in Newark NJ on Frontage?  How about the Crowne plaza in Elizabeth NJ?  Thanks again everyone.

9 hours ago, chipperberg said:

Would that be the Ramada in Newark NJ on Frontage?  How about the Crowne plaza in Elizabeth NJ?  Thanks again everyone.

Ramada is on Frontage Road on the North side of the airport near turnpike exit 14.  Crowne Plaza is on route 1&9 southwest of the airport closer to exit 13A.

I have done the park/cruise at the Ramada and it was fine.  The Ramada has direct access to the turnpike extension to Bayonne.  The shuttle to the port was a larger Ramada shuttle holding 14-16 people comfortably.  Coming back it was a 9 passenger shuttle van.

Are you bringing a car seat for the 4 year old?  If not, you really need shuttle transportation instead of car service transportation because of the NJ car seat laws for children.

Looking for some advice please. My husband and I will be doing a repo cruise from FLL and ending in cape liberty on May 17, 2019. We plan on staying in the area for 2 nights post cruise.

We will be flying back to Canada from Newark airport so we’d like to stay near there or somewhere with an airport shuttle. We are looking for a Hilton brand hotel. 

What’s the best way to get from the port to the hotel? We have not decided if we are going to add a US package to our cell phone plan or not so cell service is not guaranteed at this point. 

We we want to explore New York City and possibly see a broadway show. We are open to using public transit to get around if that’s recommended. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Looking for some advice please. My husband and I will be doing a repo cruise from FLL and ending in cape liberty on May 17, 2019. We plan on staying in the area for 2 nights post cruise.

We will be flying back to Canada from Newark airport so we’d like to stay near there or somewhere with an airport shuttle. We are looking for a Hilton brand hotel. 

What’s the best way to get from the port to the hotel? We have not decided if we are going to add a US package to our cell phone plan or not so cell service is not guaranteed at this point. 

We we want to explore New York City and possibly see a broadway show. We are open to using public transit to get around if that’s recommended. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Look at the Hilton Penn Station Newark for May 17.  Prices range from $136 to $164 plus tax depending on whether you are Hilton Honors and/or you prepay.

You would have to pay for a taxi from the port to the Hilton at Newark Penn Station. There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty.  The Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station via a skywalk.  Train fare to New York Penn Station is $5.25pp each way and PATH to World Trade is $2.75/pp each way.

The Hilton offers a free airport Shuttle to get to your return flight.

If you stay at an airport hotel, you will spend $11.25-$13/pp each way to get to Manhattan plus about twice the time.  

Overall public transit is the only cost effective way to get around between NJ and NYC.

Edited by 138east

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 138east said:

Look at the Hilton Penn Station Newark for May 17.  Prices range from $136 to $164 plus tax depending on whether you are Hilton Honors and/or you prepay.

You would have to pay for a taxi from the port to the Hilton at Newark Penn Station. There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty.  The Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station via a skywalk.  Train fare to New York Penn Station is $5.25pp each way and PATH to World Trade is $2.75/pp each way.

The Hilton offers a free airport Shuttle to get to your return flight.

If you stay at an airport hotel, you will spend $11.25-$13/pp each way to get to Manhattan plus about twice the time.  

Overall public transit is the only cost effective way to get around between NJ and NYC.

Thanks so much for this info. I priced this hotel (hilton honors) and it was over $300 per night - where did you price it? If we can stay for half that at the airport then we may just have to - our Canadian dollar isn't doing so well and that $300 US per night is over $400 for us😯 I realize it won't be as convenient or as cheap for transport to NY if we stay at the airport.

Any good Hilton brand hotels at the airport? Or should we look at staying in New York if we are going to spend more?

Edited by The Sunset Glow

43 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Thanks so much for this info. I priced this hotel (hilton honors) and it was over $300 per night - where did you price it? If we can stay for half that at the airport then we may just have to - our Canadian dollar isn't doing so well and that $300 US per night is over $400 for us😯 I realize it won't be as convenient or as cheap for transport to NY if we stay at the airport.

Any good Hilton brand hotels at the airport? Or should we look at staying in New York if we are going to spend more?

I’m still seeing the rates I quoted on www.hilton.com - https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/reservation/book.htm?execution=e1s1

The airport Hilton is more expensive.  A Manhattan hotel will likely be a whole lot more expensive.

Are you requesting a price for 2 nights? When I tried that, it showed at a bit over $300.  For a cheaper hotel at the airport, look at the Doubletree.  To save time from there you could probably Uber directly to Newark Penn Station.  You save $16.50 each way which should be close to the Uber or taxi fare.

Hi all.  What has been your experience going from Cape Liberty to Long Island, NY?  I’m trying to figure out if it’s better to reserve a private car service in advance or take an Uber or Lyft.  Is there a particular area to catch an Uber/Lyft ride?  I plan to carry off my luggage, so hopefully will get off the ship early before the Uber price surge kicks in.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, 138east said:

I’m still seeing the rates I quoted on www.hilton.com - https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/reservation/book.htm?execution=e1s1

The airport Hilton is more expensive.  A Manhattan hotel will likely be a whole lot more expensive.

Are you requesting a price for 2 nights? When I tried that, it showed at a bit over $300.  For a cheaper hotel at the airport, look at the Doubletree.  To save time from there you could probably Uber directly to Newark Penn Station.  You save $16.50 each way which should be close to the Uber or taxi fare.

The prices must be because I’m logging in from Canada. When I clicked your link it wouldn’t work. Here’s my screen shots of prices:

3811358A-C18A-44B7-B507-9245624E81E4.png

FC6ACA60-D2A2-4ED1-9AC0-38AECF30C988.png

I only looked at the rate for May 17.  There must be something going on for the 18th because the hotel is showing sold out for that night.  I’m really sorry about that.

Why are you limiting yourselves to Hilton hotels?  What other options might you consider?o

25 minutes ago, 138east said:

I only looked at the rate for May 17.  There must be something going on for the 18th because the hotel is showing sold out for that night.  I’m really sorry about that.

Why are you limiting yourselves to Hilton hotels?  What other options might you consider?o

Ok I just did the nights separately and now see what you’re seeing. $136 for May 17 and sold out for May 18th. Weird that they’d give me a rate for both nights if booking a two night stay. 

We we are not totally limited to Hilton but it’s our brand preference since my husband collects the points. We are open to other suggestions. 

Thanks for for all your help 😊

Posted (edited)

See what you can find for the Doubletree at the airport.  You could take a cab to Newark Penn Station.  This hotel is full service, recently renovated, and on the north side of the airport closer to downtown.

Hilton points are fine, but sometimes other sites have much better prices.  Lastminutetravel.com, United.com, aa.com, and other airline sites often have deals for Newark.

Note about the EWR train station - it has no vehicle access.  You must ride the airtrain to the P4 Station for hotel shuttles (don’t know about cabs at P4). Cabs would  definitely be at the terminals.

Edited by 138east

On 4/5/2019 at 6:58 AM, 138east said:

Ramada is on Frontage Road on the North side of the airport near turnpike exit 14.  Crowne Plaza is on route 1&9 southwest of the airport closer to exit 13A.

I have done the park/cruise at the Ramada and it was fine.  The Ramada has direct access to the turnpike extension to Bayonne.  The shuttle to the port was a larger Ramada shuttle holding 14-16 people comfortably.  Coming back it was a 9 passenger shuttle van.

Are you bringing a car seat for the 4 year old?  If not, you really need shuttle transportation instead of car service transportation because of the NJ car seat laws for children. 

we are now thinking of staying a bit outside of the area and driving and parking at the port.  The thought of dragging our kids and luggage to the shuttle and out of a shuttle and to the car and loading back up doesn’t sound fun at all!  

Any insight on the Morristown area?  Looking at the Hyatt House but want to make sure the area is decent.  There is a golf course near by, but you never know!  Thanks again.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chipperberg said:

we are now thinking of staying a bit outside of the area and driving and parking at the port.  The thought of dragging our kids and luggage to the shuttle and out of a shuttle and to the car and loading back up doesn’t sound fun at all!  

Any insight on the Morristown area?  Looking at the Hyatt House but want to make sure the area is decent.  There is a golf course near by, but you never know!  Thanks again.  

Morristown is fine but there can be a LOT of traffic so you want to be sure you have good directions and/or a good GPS and pay attention.....even on weekends......I don't know this hotel specifically but it's near colleges so you should be ok...Morristown is a higher rent district than the lovely EWR area so I think you'll be fine.

Other close towns are Parsippany and Hanover....again, lots of humans and cars, so just be advised......

I'd allow an hour to get to the pier...probably less time but again, traffic....especially on Route 78.  It's he!! on wheels.....weekends should be better but not always.  I have family living in the area so I am up there on occasion...just anticipate that no one else is paying attention, you'll be fine!  😄 😄

Edited by megr1125

On 2/23/2019 at 9:01 PM, 138east said:

It’s about 2 miles from the cruise terminal along a road that has no provisions for pedestrian traffic and which is technically closed to pedestrians.  

Carol, do yo think I could get an Uber to Costco, buy my wine and then when I was done, get another Uber to the pier?

5 hours ago, counsdr said:

Carol, do yo think I could get an Uber to Costco, buy my wine and then when I was done, get another Uber to the pier?

Honestly I’m not an Uber expert.  I think you could do it, but expect to wait around a bit.  My advice would be to go as early as possible.  

Is there no way you can properly wrap 2 bottles of wine and ship it in your luggage?  I take Fluff to Oregon in my checked luggage.  The large size tends to explode, but the small sizes well wrapped have been fine.  My daughter always takes bottles of beer back to Oregon and she hasn’t had any issues.

9 hours ago, counsdr said:

Costco is at the very beginning of the road into the port. My guess is if you slip the guy a $10, and tell him you'll be real quick (and you should be able to, since the liquor store is separate from the warehouse store), he will be glad to do it.