Cruise Critic Community
catnana

Oosterdam - is there a library or movie theatre?

Anyone been on the Oosterdam recently? We have been on many HAL ships and are considering a Panama Cruise in April on the Oosterdam and wonder about the library and a movie theatre now , two important features we always loved about HAL as they really made our trip. Not interested in the National Geographic shows, we have seen them so many times, they need to offer something new.

Oosterdam has had, and still has, a dedicated 36-seat (six rows of six theater-style reclining leather seats with small tables in between) home theater called the "Screening Room" for movies. As far as a library, she originally came out with the Erasmus Library, across from the shops, based on the libraries of the "S" and "R" ship. In 2006, that library was moved to the Crow's Nest to become part of the Explorations Cafe. More recently however, in March/April last year, the library was extensively "downgraded" (pretty much travel books and associated info only) as part of the Explorations Central concept

Image result for Oosterdam Screening Room

Image result for Oosterdam Crows Nest EXC

Just fyi all movies they show in the theatre are able to be seen in your cabin whenever you want for free.  This was on our cruise in November.

Hate to disagree with Copper 10-8, but that refurb that moved the library to Explorations took place in 2009.  I was on the TA that delivered her to Italy for the drydock.  EM

Theatre looks great, as we like to "go to the movies". Watching a movie on tv is like being at home. LOL.  Will miss the library.

thanks for the info everyone!

13 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Hate to disagree with Copper 10-8, but that refurb that moved the library to Explorations took place in 2009.  I was on the TA that delivered her to Italy for the drydock.  EM

You are correct, of course Essiesmom! :classic_wink: One of the things I learned early on in my career is that you usually can't beat an eye-witness account! That particular dry-dock was from 02-23 April 2009 in Palermo and that's also when she gained her Screening Room theater. Take care and be safe!

Edited by Copper10-8

Make sure you wear something with long sleeves when viewing a movie in the cinema, as this room is usually freezing.  Also, captain's announcement at noon or 1 p.m. is broadcast and drowns out the movie's soundtrack, so be aware of that.

I was on the Oosterdam Nov 04 and Dec 15 2018.  The movie theater is still there BUT they have discontinued movies there.  On the daily When & Where. I asked Guest Services and Cruise Director to be sure.  I agree that movies are on stateroom TV but going to the theater is like going out.

I included my displeasure on the comment form.  Going back on O'Dam Feb 24.  Hoping there has been a change.

6 minutes ago, 2LoveBikes said:

I was on the Oosterdam Nov 04 and Dec 15 2018.  The movie theater is still there BUT they have discontinued movies there.  On the daily When & Where. I asked Guest Services and Cruise Director to be sure.  I agree that movies are on stateroom TV but going to the theater is like going out.

I included my displeasure on the comment form.  Going back on O'Dam Feb 24.  Hoping there has been a change.

Not showing movies?  Oh, no.  To what purpose have they put this room?  I agree that this detracts for those of us who enjoy watching a movie on a larger screen.  Watching in my stateroom is identical to watching a movie on my TV at home.  Nothing special about it.  Since they're showing movies on the huge screens on K and NS, I see no reason why HA would eliminate screening movies in the smaller theaters on the Vista-class.  Did you inquire at the front desk?  

13 hours ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Thanks. Will be waiting to hear what you find out on your cruise Feb24. Bon Voyage!

Yes as stated, I spoke with Guest Services and the Cruise Director.  Also wrote it up on the guest survey