Wait list for sold out excursion

bellemere

Is there an online wait list for a sold out excursion?

Is there a wait list for sold out excursions once you are on board the ship?

How do you let Viking Ocean know that you are interested in a sold out excursion which might encourage them to add another time or bus for the sold out excursion?

Thank you for your help.

5 hours ago, bellemere said:

Is there an online wait list for a sold out excursion?

Is there a wait list for sold out excursions once you are on board the ship?

How do you let Viking Ocean know that you are interested in a sold out excursion which might encourage them to add another time or bus for the sold out excursion?

Thank you for your help.

We did a wait list on the ship.  After boarding, we just went to the excursion desk and spoke to them, and they took our name/cabin and put us on wait lists (both for included and optional cruises).  We had good luck getting what we wanted in the 2nd half of our Homelands Viking Ocean tour last May.  My theory is that so many sign up for everything right away and then after a couple days, realize they either can't do it all, or don't want to do it all, and then cancel.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We did a wait list on the ship.  After boarding, we just went to the excursion desk and spoke to them, and they took our name/cabin and put us on wait lists (both for included and optional cruises).  We had good luck getting what we wanted in the 2nd half of our Homelands Viking Ocean tour last May.  My theory is that so many sign up for everything right away and then after a couple days, realize they either can't do it all, or don't want to do it all, and then cancel.

Yes, there is that option but at that point, the number of seats contracted is pretty much set. That's why giving Viking a nudge can be helpful, along with checking MVJ regularly (i.e., daily) for openings.

For our November Cuba trip, Viking gave us the SOLD OUT message for two trips.  We called Viking, and were placed on a waiting list.

Extra sections were added, and all was fine.  My guess is Viking, the travel operator, and the government made estimates of what would be offered.  When the requested selections showed a difference, they had to agree and then add additional guides, drivers, and buses.

However, we found Viking's estimates of mild, moderate, and strenuous to be unrealistic for the age and condition of some travelers.  A fast paced walk through high grass, and uphill on one trip.  A spirited walk through crowded downtown areas, and out of Vox range in Santiago de Cuba, etc.

• Like 1

For our November Cuba trip, Viking gave us the SOLD OUT message for two trips.  We called Viking, and were placed on a waiting list.

Extra sections were added, and all was fine.  My guess is Viking, the travel operator, and the government made estimates of what would be offered.  When the requested selections showed a difference, they had to agree and then add additional guides, drivers, and buses.

However, we found Viking's estimates of mild, moderate, and strenuous to be unrealistic for the age and condition of some travelers.  A fast paced walk through high grass, and uphill on one trip.  A spirited walk through crowded downtown areas, and out of Vox range in Santiago de Cuba, etc.

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

On the Viking Homelands OC April 2018 the included tour of Stockholm was closed at ALL time slots before I was able to sign up being in a V2 cabin. As Stockholm was the last port on the trip and a must see as early as possible, I contacted Viking and explained  that for this trip it was important to get more time slots up. After checking back every day there suddenly appeared slots that were NOT CLOSED.  My point is, feel free to contact them. As a customer base paying $12,000 or more, they have to be sensitive to the clients. I’ve been called back by them within hours of an email that asked about excursion information for future cruises, etc. Yes, I’ve been shut out of some slots, but overall I’m still a happy customer.

I, too, have been experiencing frustration. When our turn came to book excursions for our upcoming cruise to South Africa, SOLD OUT listed by every wildlife viewing excursion. Will Viking do more than just suggest checking with My Viking Journey? How about adding more availability so every cabin class can book excursions?

I emailed Tellus@vikingcruises.com to share how some excursions on our trip were sold out and we had not reach the time slot that we could book.  In one case, the excursion that was sold out was the one that most people would choose if going to that port to visit.

I heard back from VRCsocial@vikingcruises.com.  They would pass on our concern and told us to continue to check MyVikingJourney.com for possible openings and to check on board the ship.

Thank you to all that have responded to my posting.

50 minutes ago, Fishgerbil said:

I, too, have been experiencing frustration. When our turn came to book excursions for our upcoming cruise to South Africa, SOLD OUT listed by every wildlife viewing excursion. Will Viking do more than just suggest checking with My Viking Journey? How about adding more availability so every cabin class can book excursions?

As we "speak", I look at MVJ 2-3/day and share with my wife anything that has changed that would help for what we have to see. Getting ready for our 2nd VOC March 26 Venice to Athens. One more in Dec. We always anticipate not getting the earliest times we want on the included excursion being in a V2 cabin. On the optional excursions we would expect for the extra money, Viking could figure out what they need. I'm sure this is complicated for them. That's why I suggest "complaining". You may not be alone on the cruise with your situation. 

Edited by BruceB NYC
typo correction needed

2 hours ago, BruceB NYC said:

Glad to be of help. In addition to the email

address I posted before, there is another that has gotten positive responses from Viking.

Try, 

Tellus@vikingcruises.com 

Thanks everyone for your ideas on this as well.  Very good points to keep in mind - especially checking MVJ quite often.  For our cruise coming up, I have seen excursions go to SOLD OUT and then suddenly open up again.

I was indeed surprised though about how many people on our Homelands cruise cancelled both included and optional excursions while on board - mostly ones for the 2nd half of the trip.   No doubt some of the tours were indeed very demanding, but in our experience Viking was quite good in explaining that.  For example: "This tour will involve 3-4 hours walking over rough, cobblestone streets for 2.5 to 3 miles with little chance to sit down".    Unfortunately some people did not always understand that and possibly after experiencing that in the first part of the trip, they then cancelled the more demanding excursions later on.

Viking's explanations of a given tour's physical demands may vary, from ship to ship. And the local guide's interest (make sure they get their half hour in the rum and cigar shop) may squeeze other parts of an excursion.  That's understandable.

On Star in the Caribbean last October we had made late afternoon reservations for all the included excursions.   After I came down with a foot problem dw was forced to tour solo and wanted to switch to early morning time slots.  Of course they were all sold out, but tour desk advised her to just show up anyway as they usually have no-shows.  Sure enough, there was room for her every time.  Don't know if this works for optional tours as well.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, Fishgerbil said:

They did not for me.  I find the process cumbersome, inefficient and a PIA. 

Offering 900 people an opportunity to share 100 seats on a popular wildlife excursion is a recipe to make  800 people unhappy.

Why doesn't VOC offer expressions of interest  in possible tours on registration to gauge interest? Many people make reservations  a year ahead, so that should allow VOC to line  up space when the real window opens.

18 hours ago, Fishgerbil said:

Viking needs more synergy on their web site. Shouldn’t passenger Wish Lists help gauge excursion demand? I don’t think they coordinate or share information.

Agree. The wish list plus SOLD OUT would indicate a level of demand for a particular

excursion. If VOC looks at the numbers they may question- the need, cost/benefit, & logistics.

On parts of my next trip,  the small islands may not have more buses/tour guides for VK

to add to a specific SOLD OUT excursion. I will still check daily up to departure.

Sold Out and just going through the process at 0 dark thirty in the morning to book and finding Vikings server slow as a snail is a complaint on every ocean cruise we have taken with them. Our last cruise Midnight Sun was particularly frustrating as by the time I picked and adjusted choices and went to check out. I found two excursions we wanted were Sold Out, did not say that when I selected them. I complained and likened it to being in a grocery store where I had picked up the last item of a particular product and had it in my basket when the manager walked by and said I need that as I have a customer ahead of you who is checking out and wants this item. We really like Viking and have has issues with them and they have come through. But this issue has been totally ignored. Just my 2 cents worth. We still can't wait to get on board.

There should be 30 minutes grace or so where the selected excursion stays in the shopping basket. It seems you have to select and pay for it in the same click which means then you might miss out on other wanted excursions while you finalise that one. 

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

There should be 30 minutes grace or so where the selected excursion stays in the shopping basket. It seems you have to select and pay for it in the same click which means then you might miss out on other wanted excursions while you finalise that one. 

Exactly why I got bumped out. As we were in the middle of excursion selection, the item in my cart vanished before I could make the payment. If there was a warning I didn’t see it. Maybe by my next VOC they will put a notice up!!

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Yes.

Many concert and Broadway ticket services give registered members time to decide, check a seat plan, etc. It's a good compromise, and often has a count down clock.

Viking should improve this obvious weakness.

Latest Viking Med Odyssey cruise there was a tour that we very much wanted to take that mysteriously was not available on our sailing.  Contacted tellus and told them that that tour was on their site describing the cruise but not listed on our sailing. Yet it was available on the exact same cruise sailing 5 days later.  They responded and added the tour. Two busses went.

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Latest Viking Med Odyssey cruise there was a tour that we very much wanted to take that mysteriously was not available on our sailing.  Contacted tellus and told them that that tour was on their site describing the cruise but not listed on our sailing. Yet it was available on the exact same cruise sailing 5 days later.  They responded and added the tour. Two busses went.

As you stated I--   "Contacted tellus and told them that that tour was on their site describing the cruise but not listed on our sailing." If more of us do this maybe we can get something done before the cruise. I have a similar situation on my Dec. cruise.

Been told "maybe the optional excursion will be there." Luckily the port has several Private Tours available that I can use. Not everyone uses CC and does research before. I'm always looking ahead to avoid distress. Happy Cruising!!😃

Edited by BruceB NYC
line spacing correction....