New x-ray technology - Carnival

jamesgjr

Interesting Safety Enhancement for US ports...

PRESS RELEASE

VOTI Detection Inc. announces order with Carnival Cruise Line

MONTREAL, Feb. 6, 2019 /PRNewswire/ - VOTI Detection Inc. ("VOTI" or "the Company") (TSXV: VOTI), a leading-edge Canadian technology company that develops latest-generation X-ray security systems based on 3D Perspective™...

SOURCE VOTI Detection Inc.

MONTREALFeb. 6, 2019 /PRNewswire/ - VOTI Detection Inc. ("VOTI" or "the Company") (TSXV: VOTI), a leading-edge Canadian technology company that develops latest-generation X-ray security systems based on 3D Perspective™ technology, announced today Carnival Cruise Line has ordered 91 units to be deployed at nine of the company's North American cruise ship ports.  

Logo: VOTI Detection Inc. (CNW Group/VOTI Detection Inc.)

"This is a milestone event for VOTI and one that we are very proud of," commented Rory Olson, President and CEO of VOTI Detection, "We were in a very tough competition for this order and our 3D Perspective™ technology, remote diagnosis capabilities, software based architecture and the durability of our machines in a challenging maritime climate, stood us out over our competitors. In a head to head competition, VOTI was the preferred choice of all operators from an imaging and ease of use perspective. Our goal from the start has been to disrupt the X-ray screening market. This order with Carnival is a prime example of the success of our global strategy and the significant potential for VOTI technology in the market today. This is a whole new vertical for VOTI and we are extremely pleased that we are entering it with the industry leader." 

"The addition of VOTI technology will enhance our existing security platforms," commented Dominick Froio Jr., Vice President of security services at Carnival Cruise Line. "The safety and security of our guests and crew is our top priority and the opportunity to deploy VOTI's 3D perspective imaging brings X-Ray screening to a new level of effectiveness and will ensure that we continue to lead the way when it comes to safety." 

Deployment of the VOTI units has already begun with full deployment expected by the end of February.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rynerson27 said:

Reading that press release hurt my head. 

Nothing about that says anything about rum runners. I shampoo bottle will still look like a shampoo bottle in a 3D scan, it can't identify liquid content. 

Until they start making you put your shampoo in your carry on.

1 hour ago, Rynerson27 said:

Nothing about that says anything about rum runners. I shampoo bottle will still look like a shampoo bottle in a 3D scan, it can't identify liquid content. 

I don't know about the tech used in these Voti "x-ray" machines, but there are devices that use a scanning-type tech that can distinguish material types and certain liquid types.  Whether they are cost-effective enough for someone like Carnival to use, I dunno.

While looking up info on whether these types of x-ray machines/scanners were prevalent, I found this article from 2010 (!) that seemed to think we'd all be able to carry water bottles through security by 2011.  Huh, guess not.  Or maybe only in the UK/EU.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1323570/EU-approves-X-Ray-airport-scanners-tell-water-liquid-explosives.html

2 hours ago, pohlerbear said:

Aren't the x ray machines in ports owned by the ports? Since multiple cruise lines leave from the same port? I would think these new  Carnival x rays would be on the ship for returning after a day in port. 

This is my assumption as well, as to where this technology would be Carnival owned and operated. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:08 AM, Rynerson27 said:

Actually, you're wrong.

X-ray systems and digital detectors can determine and distinguish a lot of things you wouldn't think about. Then when it displays the image, the software can add color to help the users make a call.

Is that plastic or semtex

Is that water or rum

Is that oregano or the good stuff

For medical, is that arterial blood or venous blood

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

X-ray systems and digital detectors can determine and distinguish

a lot of things you wouldn't think about.

Then when it displays the image, the software can add color

to help the users make a call. ===> Exactly!

Is that plastic or Semtex?

Is that water or rum?

Is that oregano or the good stuff?

For medical, is that arterial blood or venous blood?

Going thru TSA at JFK, I had the opportunity to be in a position

where I could clearly see the other TSA lane's scanning monitor.

The female operator called aside her colleague doing the physical checking

and pointed to a rectangular object in the passenger's carry-on

which was coloured an obvious reddish-orange!

I could clearly see all other objects in the carry-on as well

ea. of them showing a difrnt colour according to their density, etc.

but this one red-orange(alert?)colour was singled out for further inspection.

Draw your own conclusions.

19 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Coming to a Carnival ship near you soon: Any containers with liquids must be in your carry-ons for inspection.

I kind of doubt Carnival would gum up their now mostly smooth embarkation with checking everyone's shampoo etc. That would throw a wrench in the time savings staggered check in has provided. 

Then I start bringing it on at ports. Doing this will just make me not want to buy any alcohol on the ships, or I will just move on from Carnival. I have been on 17 Carnival cruises now but have no problem going somewhere else.  

For me, The CHEERS package is just to overpriced imo as well as the bottles you can purchase for your cabins. Over $800 for two people on a 7 Day. Lol thats half the price of the total cruise with a balcony. And the bottles are about $40-$50 overpriced. I don't knock anyone who buys either, just not for me.

• Like 3