New x-ray technology - Carnival

jamesgjr

Sooo.... for an upcoming July cruise.  Have the rum runners all been getting caught?

or is it your mileage may vary i can still try because some people get through and some don't.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, Doggielover68 said:

How much of an alcoholic do you have to be to get one of these ridiculous things? A bra that holds wine? It's sad, really. 

I've been tempted to try it, mostly just to put cold water in to keep the tatas cool on a hot summer day 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 1:19 PM, Doggielover68 said:

How much of an alcoholic do you have to be to get one of these ridiculous things? A bra that holds wine? It's sad, really. 

As someone who works on a college campus, my experience has been that these are primarily marketed to sports fans and concert attendees, not cruisers. And, yes, security guards bust people with these silly devices ALL THE TIME. Yet, most people are sure that *they* won't be the ones who get caught. Optimism or delusion? You decide. Lol. 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, coevan said:

one quart of the same liquor won't last very long, we still spent a fortune on other drinks. With Cheers we never reach 15 and don't need to smuggle.

agree when i am cruising and like to drink some every day, to smuggle enough liquor to make it viable make it really hard to due.  now to take a little really high end liquor to start my evening (assuming i can't get it on the boat) is very doable.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, MRSG29 said:

It will never make sense to me to buy the CHEERS package. $800+ on a 7 day cruise for two people is ridiculous. I could buy a crazy amount of bottles of liquor for that.

But on a cruise line or any resort?  From what I understand Carnival allows you buy bottles of alcohol to be delivered to your cabin.  Looking at some of the prices I have found, they are pricing as if you were ordering drinks in one of the lounges.

I am more familiar with retail wine prices vs what restaurants on-shore charge.  Per bottle wine prices in restaurants are always more expensive than retail wine price.  The mark up is to cover operating expenses while maintaining profit margins.

In restaurants on-shore the dynamic is no different.  In a restaurant, If you compare how much alcohol is in a simple rum and coke, as opposed to staying at home and buying your own bottle of rum and the needed soda.  It much cheaper than having the same number of drinks at home.

In regards to the CHEERS package, only you can decide if $800 plus is worth it.  Simply divide how many drinks you normally have on a cruise based on their on-board prices.  The equation is relatively simple

X number of drinks times the Y cost of the drinks = Z

If Z is greater than $800, then it makes sense to order the package.  If not, then it doesn't make sense, unless you like convenience and or not worrying about having a bill at the end.  

On 2/15/2019 at 6:40 PM, Mommawo said:

It’s kinda like buying popcorn and a drink  at the movies.  It’s not cheap but ima buy it anyways however I’m gonna snuggle in candy 

This is the best response in any smuggling thread EVER!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, gatour said:

But on a cruise line or any resort?  From what I understand Carnival allows you buy bottles of alcohol to be delivered to your cabin.  Looking at some of the prices I have found, they are pricing as if you were ordering drinks in one of the lounges.

I am more familiar with retail wine prices vs what restaurants on-shore charge.  Per bottle wine prices in restaurants are always more expensive than retail wine price.  The mark up is to cover operating expenses while maintaining profit margins.

In restaurants on-shore the dynamic is no different.  In a restaurant, If you compare how much alcohol is in a simple rum and coke, as opposed to staying at home and buying your own bottle of rum and the needed soda.  It much cheaper than having the same number of drinks at home.

In regards to the CHEERS package, only you can decide if $800 plus is worth it.  Simply divide how many drinks you normally have on a cruise based on their on-board prices.  The equation is relatively simple

X number of drinks times the Y cost of the drinks = Z

If Z is greater than $800, then it makes sense to order the package.  If not, then it doesn't make sense, unless you like convenience and or not worrying about having a bill at the end.  

Buying the bottles for the room is just as ridiculous. For instance, a 1.1L of Skyy Vodka on the ship is $75. I can buy a 1.75L for $18. That's one HUGE markup. As far as the drink package. Unfortunately, we didn't have our liquor on our last cruise and we still only spent $300 on drinks total between the two of us. That still didn't equal what just one person costs with the package. I just think both those options are a ripoff.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, cruisegus said:

agree when i am cruising and like to drink some every day, to smuggle enough liquor to make it viable make it really hard to due.  now to take a little really high end liquor to start my evening (assuming i can't get it on the boat) is very doable.

Our cruise last year, I brought on 4 different liquors. Two of which were 1Ls. I just bout the cranberry. 

1 hour ago, MRSG29 said:

Buying the bottles for the room is just as ridiculous. For instance, a 1.1L of Skyy Vodka on the ship is $75. I can buy a 1.75L for $18. That's one HUGE markup. As far as the drink package. Unfortunately, we didn't have our liquor on our last cruise and we still only spent $300 on drinks total between the two of us. That still didn't equal what just one person costs with the package. I just think both those options are a ripoff.

If you want to talk markup, I would bet $300 that your $300 in drinks was just as big of a markup as either of the other options.

Personally, I love the bottle. Is it more than the retail price? Sure is. But for roughly $100, that is a LOT of alcohol. More than you would get for $100 worth of drinks at the bar, that is a fact.

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

If you want to talk markup, I would bet $300 that your $300 in drinks was just as big of a markup as either of the other options.

Personally, I love the bottle. Is it more than the retail price? Sure is. But for roughly $100, that is a LOT of alcohol. More than you would get for $100 worth of drinks at the bar, that is a fact.

So you're saying pay over $800 for the drink package vs spending $300 total on drinks or $90+ for a bottle (would have to be two separate bottles cause my lady doesn't drink what I drink)? I'm a Hennessy drinker. $110 for a bottle? Naw i'm good. And I didnt mention the fees attached which makes it even higher.  

On 5/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, coevan said:

before Cheers we always used Rum runners, never got caught, now we don't bother

ME too You are right now with Cheers it isn't necessary.  

Edited by Jenn1974
typo

13 hours ago, MRSG29 said:

So you're saying pay over $800 for the drink package vs spending $300 total on drinks or $90+ for a bottle (would have to be two separate bottles cause my lady doesn't drink what I drink)? I'm a Hennessy drinker. $110 for a bottle? Naw i'm good. And I didnt mention the fees attached which makes it even higher.  

You said the bottle was a huge markup. All I'm saying is the $300 in drinks is also a huge markup. I also agree that $800 in Cheers is overly excessive. The bottle is your best bang for the buck as far as alcohol consumption.

12 hours ago, Joebucks said:

You said the bottle was a huge markup. All I'm saying is the $300 in drinks is also a huge markup. I also agree that $800 in Cheers is overly excessive. The bottle is your best bang for the buck as far as alcohol consumption.

I hear ya. True. 

• 3 months later...