"Live" From Symphony of the Seas. February 9-16, 2019 - Trainman-2 Tribute

12 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Hooray, looking forward to your report. We had a great time on Symphony last month and glad to follow along. 

Were there listed hours of operation for the waterslides or were they open all day long regardless of whether it was a sea day or a day in port?

So sorry to hear about Trainman-2's passing.  Every time I read a review from him, I thought of my father.  It is so nice and thoughtful of you to do a tribute in his honor.   He touched so many lives through his reviews.

Looking forward to your trip report.  I want to cruise on Symphony next and we are doing this itinerary out of Miami on Allure in April.   Can't wait to read more.   Enjoy and Happy Sailing!

Barbara

• Like 3

We took this same itinerary on Symphony this past January.  Loved it, loved it, loved it.  Sol y Mar is a great beach.  As you walk into the beach, go to the furthest right to the "coffee" shop.  Great sangria and food.  Would love to be going with you, but guess I will try to be satisfied by your live report.

Watch this "trainwreck":classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes: as this is our itinerary next Feb.  Except we stop at Coco Cay instead of Nassau (yeah!!).

Have heard good things about Sol y Mar so waiting to see some pictures, as we've been all over Roatan and DW is there again in April.  We'll do Jaime's in Costa Maya, with a swing by Tropicante to say hey to Steve and Buster.  And Cozumel may just turn into a "sea day" for us, depending on the weather.

Wow....so many initial thoughts, and you haven't left yet!

1.  The fact that you have dedicated this to Trainman is overwhelmingly touching.  It brought a tear to my eyes.  So many of us followed him throughout the years, the passing of his wife, his cruises, his good fortune of meeting and marrying Judith, his move to the country and his love for his country and animals.  It's apparent that you were a friend/fan also.  Thank you - and can't wait to see a Trainman sandwich!

2.  I love all of your reviews, I'm so excited to follow along.  I love your sense of humor - and this will help carry me through until my next cruise.  I actually got a little giddy when I saw your announcement on your last review (look of embarrassment).

3.  We are going on our first Mediterranean cruise on Oasis in May, the same dates you are going on your May cruise.  That means I will have to do massive catching up when I return 😉

4.  Thanks in advance for all you're about to do for those of us following along - safe travels, smooth sailing and many happy liquid refreshments!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Ralphinsc said:

Yay!!! This will get me in the mood for my Western cruise on the Symphony in April! Following! Love your live reports!

Thanks for following along!

13 hours ago, jimbri said:

Thank you for the tribute.  I have enjoyed Trainman's reviews for many years and will miss him.  

13 hours ago, benebire said:

Looking forward to your review. We are on the same itinerary April 20th. I am a compulsive planner so hoping you will post Compasses. Have a great trip!

Thanks for following along. To correspond with each day, I usually post each daily Compass at the start of each cruise day.

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Just did this itinerary on 1/26. Sadly got off this past Saturday. We did Sol y Mar through a Victor Bodden tour. Was quite crowded as the West End beaches were very choppy due to the weather, so more people went to Sol y Mar. We enjoyed it. 

I have all all the compasses and will post as soon as I get back to CT next week. 

We also stayed on the ship at Nassau and spent some time in the Solarium —- very nice!

Habe a great time !

mac_tlc

Thanks for following along. Hopefully Sol Y won't be to busy. Time will tell. 🙂

13 hours ago, floatel_lvr said:

Sorry to hear about Trainman-2's passing.  I always look forward to his sailings/trip reports.  Looking forward to tagging along with you for the week. 

11 hours ago, evelyn51 said:

This is a grand way to give tribute to Trainman-2 (Jim) and I'm answering as "The Sea Is Calling"  🙂

Thanks for following along. Will be having a trainman breakfast sandwich Sunday morning! 🙂

10 hours ago, niksmom630 said:

YAY!  so excited to follow along!  We will be on in a few weeks, same itinerary!  We are considering the same beach stop on Roatan as part of our Bodden's tour, so interested in your thoughts.

I have enjoyed all your reviews over the years (as well as Trainman's)...this will be a welcome distraction for the next week.

Chris

10 hours ago, kpark895 said:

Looking forward to this - your reviews are always FUN!

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you for doing this tribute for Trainman-2. Following in his blessed memory.

Thanks for following along, he was a great man and inspiration to many.

9 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

I am considering booking Symphony for next year anxious to read your "Live" review. Thank you for the dedication to Trainman-2 I've been following him for over 10 years. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for following along.

9 hours ago, Sherman793 said:

So excited to follow your live trip! Missing my daily Trainman updates too. Thanks for taking us along!

8 hours ago, MaryEBS said:

Looking forward to your review!  I had the pleasure of meeting the Trainman and very much enjoyed talking with him and reading his reviews.

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Just did this itinerary on 1/26. Sadly got off this past Saturday. We did Sol y Mar through a Victor Bodden tour. Was quite crowded as the West End beaches were very choppy due to the weather, so more people went to Sol y Mar. We enjoyed it. 

I have all all the compasses and will post as soon as I get back to CT next week. 

We also stayed on the ship at Nassau and spent some time in the Solarium —- very nice!

Habe a great time !

mac_tlc

Mac!  Why didn't you do a live review?

7 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Hooray, looking forward to your report. We had a great time on Symphony last month and glad to follow along. 

7 hours ago, joand452 said:

Looking forward to virtually cruising with you!  Nice way to pass the time while waiting for my turn!

6 hours ago, prekteacher said:

So sorry to hear about Trainman-2's passing.  Every time I read a review from him, I thought of my father.  It is so nice and thoughtful of you to do a tribute in his honor.   He touched so many lives through his reviews.

Looking forward to your trip report.  I want to cruise on Symphony next and we are doing this itinerary out of Miami on Allure in April.   Can't wait to read more.   Enjoy and Happy Sailing!

Barbara

Thanks for following along.

I've got a similar perception and thoughts as you. I had started reading Trainman's live blogs prior to 2012, but after my father had passed away in 2012 I'd often read his live reviews after that time period and then his life in the country and think I was having a conversation with my father and getting cruise and then daily life updates with his and Judiths life in the country. 

6 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Following! Would like to click the like button. Thanks for the tribute. Many of us here on cruise critic followed Trainman's reviews!

6 hours ago, finz2u said:

We took this same itinerary on Symphony this past January.  Loved it, loved it, loved it.  Sol y Mar is a great beach.  As you walk into the beach, go to the furthest right to the "coffee" shop.  Great sangria and food.  Would love to be going with you, but guess I will try to be satisfied by your live report.

Thanks for following along! Love coffee so we will defiantly have to check the "coffee shop" out.

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Watch this "trainwreck":classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes: as this is our itinerary next Feb.  Except we stop at Coco Cay instead of Nassau (yeah!!).

Have heard good things about Sol y Mar so waiting to see some pictures, as we've been all over Roatan and DW is there again in April.  We'll do Jaime's in Costa Maya, with a swing by Tropicante to say hey to Steve and Buster.  And Cozumel may just turn into a "sea day" for us, depending on the weather.

Thanks for following along. Oh no, don't make Cozumel a sea day, do the Cozumel bar hop. That east side of the island is so beautiful. Its a super tour even for the non or light drinkers.

5 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Wow all these great CCers reviews are really helping the wait time till Sept.  Yahoo...onward!

4 hours ago, Buffett fan said:

Wow....so many initial thoughts, and you haven't left yet!

1.  The fact that you have dedicated this to Trainman is overwhelmingly touching.  It brought a tear to my eyes.  So many of us followed him throughout the years, the passing of his wife, his cruises, his good fortune of meeting and marrying Judith, his move to the country and his love for his country and animals.  It's apparent that you were a friend/fan also.  Thank you - and can't wait to see a Trainman sandwich!

2.  I love all of your reviews, I'm so excited to follow along.  I love your sense of humor - and this will help carry me through until my next cruise.  I actually got a little giddy when I saw your announcement on your last review (look of embarrassment).

3.  We are going on our first Mediterranean cruise on Oasis in May, the same dates you are going on your May cruise.  That means I will have to do massive catching up when I return 😉

4.  Thanks in advance for all you're about to do for those of us following along - safe travels, smooth sailing and many happy liquid refreshments!

Indeed a fan, as stated above. He was truly an inspiration to many. I didn't post it in my original post as this thread is dedicated to him. But on the same day Jim passed my cousin that same day. If you remember from my last "Live" on Oasis I got a text around day four from my cousin with some bad news. Sadly my cousin didn't make it for many more months after that cruise and coincidentally passed the same day. Kinda weird.

4 hours ago, Mama24 said:

I'm sorry to hear of Trainman's passing.  This is a lovely tribute and I'll be following along.

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Will be on Symphony in September-first cruise on a mega ship. Very excited. We will be eating in the MDR or Solarium Bistro so would love to get your views on any meals that you most enjoyed.

Thanks for following along! You are in for a treat, these ships are the best. Once you sail the big beautiful queens its hard to go back. Have a super cruise!

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear of Trainman-2's passing. I've enjoyed many of his reviews, and will miss seeing him here on these boards. MrFunInTheSun, dedicating this review to Trainman-2 is a wonderful tribute to his memory. Thank you. I will enjoy following along. We will be sailing Symphony at the end of April, but on the Eastern itinerary. I can't wait to hear what you think of Symphony!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, perfect match said:

I'm sorry to hear of Trainman-2's passing. I've enjoyed many of his reviews, and will miss seeing him here on these boards. MrFunInTheSun, dedicating this review to Trainman-2 is a wonderful tribute to his memory. Thank you. I will enjoy following along. We will be sailing Symphony at the end of April, but on the Eastern itinerary. I can't wait to hear what you think of Symphony!

43 minutes ago, tlaffin said:

Looking forward to your review, thank you for bringing us along! Doing this same itinerary on Symphony in April - can't wait! Enjoy your trip 🙂

The countdown clock keeps getting better and better! 

94F271B9-21B0-4D10-BE52-31596CAA86E6_zps

If you see me on the ship and we are talking and in chuckling it could mean one of two things. 😀

1F95D1C7-B24B-4C5C-9FBF-4E966162126D_zps

Ond more day left of meals like this...

37D5DE07-11C3-49FF-8C70-79F0F57BD7A7_zps

Those that have followed past live reviews of mine 😀

6AD25873-EF0B-4994-B839-A5455B0416A4_zps

Am super excited to get back to Cozumel again, haven’t been there since last March when I sailed on Independence of the Seas and Rhapsody of the Seas in February. Whilst I was there I bought this cute little fish wind chime made in China but sold as local artwork in Mexico. Excited to go to Mexico to buy something from China that broke over the past year...

C39BDDBD-A959-4D86-BC9E-BE5028034EEF_zps

Ond more VERY long work day left. I’ve still got to pack tonight. I’ve also got to iron my evening dinner shirts so I can place them in my suitcase to get wrinkled again. 😜

"Thanks for following along. Oh no, don't make Cozumel a sea day, do the Cozumel bar hop. That east side of the island is so beautiful. Its a super tour even for the non or light drinkers. "

We (I)' ve done the bar hop and we've used Tours Plaza several times to visit the East side. DW loved Playa Bonita when it was around. I think Rastas/BobMarleys/ParadiseCafe/etc. is one of the best places to hang out on Coz. but the stop is just "getting old" for us "ole" folks.  Kinda been there, done that, got more than enough tee shirts thing.

Condolences to Trainman's family. Certainly missed on these boards.

It’s so fun and exciting to go off and sail away on a nice grand cruise ship, but leaving behind this is always tough. Not sure who has more separation anxiety? [emoji3]

9F5355AA-B327-41C1-B77B-0FBD43B622B2_zpschtcxmf0.jpg&key=4704e2cc9f01f317972c7e1d16ed8f117e07eb4b0c78b8aeae204059c2ff6bde

If anyone gets bored this weekend in between reading this live review, don’t forget you can always go down to your local Wal-Mart and buy a bottle of wine, grab an electric shopping cart and empty Pringle’s can. Use the Pringle’s can as your wine glass and have a fun whirl in the parking lot whilst drinking the bottle of wine. [emoji3]

F8F42F61-0450-43A4-8C09-DFE52DB60145_zpsitjotnaj.jpg&key=8855a72f4c98766cec9fa63739863496d11d26c44f4906da659a1a3f4712f1eb

It worked well for one lady, she had the time of her life, even got some fame making the news. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse any typographical errors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to you review as we are taking the Symphony and the same itinerary next month.  We are particularly interested  of your review of the BOGO at Hooked. Also interested to hear about the entertainment.

Thanks for posting the lovely tribute  to  Trainman.  I recall the tearful review of the trip he took following Carol's passing.   He is so lucky he found Judith and they had many happy years together.

Bon Voyage  I hope the wheels roll your way!

M

I never registered for the meet and mingle. I tried twice, but it didn’t work out. So if you’re sailing on this cruise, say hi if you see us. We’re going to be noticeable as my husband and I are sailing with our 30-something daughter and her son. Most importantly he is our little grandson. He just turned 6 months old (and it seemed like a good idea at the time).