Port days

Melissas158

Hello everyone, I am sure this has been asked a million time but wondering if someone can give me some guidance. I will cruising to Alaska this coming September. I will have my two children under 5 in tow and would like to make sure that I have my excursion timing planned correctly....If the current cruise itinerary states we will be in port from 8am till 5 pm. What time will they actually start letting passengers off and what time do they expect you back on the ship. As well has anyone taken the 6.5 hour trip from Skagway into the Yukon. Our excursion ends at 4 p.m. and the ship is not due to depart until 8 p.m. however I am a bit nervous given the length of the tour and how far away we travel from port. (my daughter really wants to visit the sled dogs and this is the most cost effective family option I have found)

Thank you to everyone who replies to this post with the suggestions and tips.

Generally, you need to be back on board at least 30 minutes before the ship is scheduled to depart. If it is a tender port, where you must ride into the port on a small boat, that time will be longer. 

Once the ship docks, it must be cleared by local authorities. It is usually close to the posted time. There will be an announcement when the ship has been cleared and passengers can get off. 

Local excursion agencies probably know the schedule better than the ship ship because they make their money off the cruise lines! The train ride to the Yukon is spectacular and not to be missed! 

If you are booking the excursion through the cruise line you don't need to worry at all. Typically a guarantee that they will wait in case of delay is included.

However the risk if a private excursion is scheduled to conclude 4 hours before departure is very, very low.   The private operators would not survive if they are not returning the passengers to their ship in time.  You can likely find the tour company you choose on other travel websites and read reviews from other cruisers, or you can go to the ports forum here on Cruise Critic for your destination and ask questions about that specific operator.  No doubt others will be able to share experiences with them.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you have booked a ship's excursion, your ticket will give the time and place where you are to meet for the excursion.

Usually in Alaska the ships are cleared very quickly by the local authorities thus you can get off close to the time stated on your itinerary.

Not sure your children will enjoy such a long excursion since they are so young.

If you're doing a SHIP'S excursion, time doesn't matter...they will get you back in time.

If you're doing a private excursion, they, too, will not want you to miss your ship, but you will need to keep an eye on the time yourself.....just to be sure!  30 mins. prior to sail away is "all aboard".

Just to be clear, the ship MAY wait for you if you are on an excursion booked through the cruise line.  But if they do not wait, the cruise line will get you to the next port to meet the ship, and cover all expenses that may arise from missing the ship (meals, hotel, transport, etc).

Some 3rd party excursions offer to get you to the next port, you can ask if that one does.

But I agree, an excursion that is supposed to get back 4 hours before departure is a very low risk.

The port time listed is normally the time that you will be allowed to disembark.  Most ships arrive about 30 minutes before the time listed.  If you want to see the ship docking and get good views of the city, you should be at a good observtion location an hour or more before the time listed on your itinerary.

I think the above pretty much covers what you asked. I just wanted to add that your kids will have a fantastic time. Mine were young when we went, and loved every minute. So much, in fact, that my dogs are now sled dogs themselves 🙂 We have huskies, but I'd never hooked them up until we got home!!