Cruise Critic Community
chrismch

Info on Liberty of the Seas

We're considering booking a cruise on Liberty which is 50% larger than all of the cruises we've taken previously, which have been on ships that are under 100,000 tons (like Brilliance). How much of a jolt will it be to be on a much larger ship? Would we be overwhelmed? Or would it be an easy transition? Are there any more benefits for Diamond members on these ships?

We enjoy ships the size of Liberty!  While they are larger, it isn't an overwhelming experience at all.  Your Diamond benefits are pretty much the same, regardless of the ship.  Unless you are on a ship without a diamond lounge.

4 hours ago, chrismch said:

We're considering booking a cruise on Liberty which is 50% larger than all of the cruises we've taken previously, which have been on ships that are under 100,000 tons (like Brilliance). How much of a jolt will it be to be on a much larger ship? Would we be overwhelmed? Or would it be an easy transition? Are there any more benefits for Diamond members on these ships?

Not overwhelming, just be prepared for minimal views to the outside compared to Brilliance.

We have been on Liberty many times since she has been in Galveston and we love sailing on her.  Be mindful that there will be some walking to do.  About the only thing I don’t like is that the adult pool area is just a walk through space and not entirely separate as it is on Vision.  Give some attention to what venues you will frequent and plan your cabin location accordingly.  Those hallways can get pretty long.  

I took videos of the Liberty deck by deck. The video at the top is of the Royal Promenade, which is the main indoor space on Deck 5. I generally found things to be open and spacious, and I like the entertainment options for my kids. The problem, for me, is that on sea says (of which you pretty much always have three out of Galveston) the pool can get insanely crowded. Same thing with the Royal Promenade on Deck 5 when they had a tshirt sale. Apparently, Royal Caribbean invented the very concept of the shirt, and if folks don't get there immediately there will be no more tshirts ever, ever, ever. That leads to some crowding. On balance, though, I like this ship very much and have another trip booked this year.

Petroplex: Sorry to hear about your spa experience. I do enjoy the spa treatments but will only book them with discounts as they tend to be pricier than on land. Guess that's why I booked a mani-ped at the Hotel Galvez (lovely hotel and wonderful treatment) before boarding a cruise out of Galveston last year.

Other questions...The deck plans don't show any details for the spa. Does it have a Persian Garden? Or at least a T-pool, which I love? Is there a sauna and steam room in the changing rooms by the Fitness area as they have on Brilliance? What dining options are there that don't have a cover charge besides the MDR and Windjammer?T

Edited by chrismch

We were in Liberty last year. Loved the ship & crew. We felt the ship was a great size with lots of activity but still had quite places to hang out too. 

We were on liberty two years ago and it was great! Speaking of which we book a balcony room in August but we choose the option that they pick our room because it was $400 cheaper. How long will it take to find out what room they are giving us?

I believe it can go all the way up to the day of boarding depending on how full the ship is.

Our experience is the larger the ship the less crowded you feel. Liberty is a good ship and we always have fun on her. We started cruising on Oasis when she was new and so we might not just know any better!

Have fun!