Cruise Critic Community
havanadaydreaming

cruise consultant vs just booking online?

What is your experience with an assigned cruise consultant from Carnival? 

I know one person at work who raves about her fella, but we've never gotten anything above and beyond the website's offers.   My wife just went to whatever level 75+ nights is with Carnival, I must admit I am a lowly 19 nighter guy. 

Thanks!

I use a pvp to book. He can see all the avalible rooms as opposed to the normal 10 that one sees on web site. Often we book 2 or 3 rooms that adjoin. In order to do this we sometimes are blocked by a room rated for more than 2. The web site may not let us take that room but he can get it for us. We just call him when the price drops and it is adjusted right then instead of filling out the form and hoping it gets approve. Just lots of little things like this.

A PVP is just a salesman for the company.  Use an outside TA that will rebate some of the fare commission as an OBC, if you don't you are giving money away. They provide the same service.

Edited by ray98

I prefer to book directly with the cruise line in the event there is an issue; it can be handled more directly than going back to the TA.  I've had good experiences with the person they assigned to me (Monique) so if I can get her a little bonus for letting her handle the booking, I do it.

I used a Carnival PVP FOR YEARS...I emailed him a couple of weeks ago, he responded 5 days later, sorry....He was in the habit of doing that a number of times...so i used a travel agent...she also discounted the cruise 40.00 each (so x 2)...hey $80.00 better in my pocket than carnivals...When he did finally reply to answer my question...I typed back...sorry bud....already booked....responding 5 days later, is unacceptable business practice....he offered no excuse either....

The last few I have booked myself . The rooms I wanted were available . But if your looking and don't see any rooms to your liking a PVP can be very helpful. They can see rooms not available on the website.

Edited by BoDidly

6 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

I used a Carnival PVP FOR YEARS...I emailed him a couple of weeks ago, he responded 5 days later, sorry....He was in the habit of doing that a number of times...so i used a travel agent...she also discounted the cruise 40.00 each (so x 2)...hey $80.00 better in my pocket than carnivals...When he did finally reply to answer my question...I typed back...sorry bud....already booked....responding 5 days later, is unacceptable business practice....he offered no excuse either....

This is what I'm having a problem with as well.   I've had her for a good fifteen years or so, maybe it's time to retire.

I only used a PVP on one cruise and a local travel agent on one cruise,  I used them BEFORE I was comfortable using the internet. These days I book every Cruise myself online. I like to be hands on.

Back "in the day" we used to book through a brick n mortar business (here in So Cal) called Cruise Holidays. Anybody remember them?  

I do believe if we cruised on speciality cruises (Antarctica or is it Antarctic??) or unique transportation we'd use a travel agent again.  Other than those, I'm totally comfortable now in making our own ressies in ALL our vacations. 🤔😁

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18