Caution in Guadeloupe

Markanddonna

The taxi drivers blocked the ship excursion buses. No one from the other ship was able to go on excursions but MSC ferried us to meet the buses. There were more problems but I don't have time to explain. I will do that when we are back home. The reports from others who went to town was that it was trashy and unfriendly. Despite it being a lovely interior, I would not want to return. 

I also am currently on the MSC Divina.   As the OP noted, we experienced problems with striking taxi drivers in Guadeloupe two days ago . I was among those fortunate enough to have been ferried across the channel to meet our tour bus.  Although our tour was unaffected (except for a late start), others were unable to go on excursions because their buses and taxis were prevented (or unwilling to cross picket lines) from entering the terminal area due to striking cabbies.   However, otherwise our experience in Guadeloupe was very nice.  We found the island to be beautiful and everyone we met was friendly.   I cannot speak about the area near the cruise terminal, although it did look a bit rundown based on our limited view from the ship.  But, that isn't so unusual for some Caribbean islands.  In fact, we took a private tour of Tortola and saw some areas of the BVI that also weren't so nice.  Each person has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with and act accordingly.  We found Guadeloupe to be interesting and would definitely go back. 

• Like 1

We have returned home, so as promised, I will report what happened on our Glimpse of Guadeloupe excursion.

As Bluewake reported, the striking taxi drivers caused mayhem the day we arrived on the MSC Divina. We had no idea about the impending problems at port with the strikers blocking the tour buses and private vans. We had been cautioned that Guadeloupe has a reputation of being indifferent or not very accommodating to tourists, so we booked the ship's tour.

The excursion passengers sat in the theater for over an hour while the staff just continued to thank everyone for their patience. Finally, our group was called and we were walked out to a ferry which was close by. Once again, this was a surprise for everyone. The five-minute ferry ride took us across the inlet to the tour buses. 

We had a delightful time at the Botanical Gardens at the National Park, and it was stunning. Our next stop was to be Carbet Waterfalls, but our driver either overshot or couldn't access the small parking area, so decided to continue on to find a turn around area.  His misguided strategy was to back in this small lot and wiggle the bus in somehow. He navigated the bus into a precarious position: one tire was dangerously close to a ditch, and the front of the bus blocked the entire roadway. He attempted to maneuver, but the reverse transmission of the bus malfunctioned. Being just two seats behind the driver, I quickly saw the dangerous position I was in as a large truck came down the winding road. Fortunately, it stopped and for the next 15 minutes, there was a traffic backup in both directions.

At one point, the driver was so desperate he allowed an elderly man who used to be a Mercedes Benz engineer to take over the driving. When the man saw the situation, he quickly gave up. That's when I exited the bus!

The driver could only "drift" backward by turning off the engine, but that accomplished one lane to be opened. The tour guide said the tour company was sending another bus for us. The parking area led to a swampy river and the guide took most people there.  I noted that my shoes would be soaked and filthy, so stayed in the parking area. Mosquitos all around.

Finally, the driver of the car in the parking space behind the bus returned and removed the car.  After another 20 minutes, the driver managed to get the bus out of the parking area, so everyone boarded. They offered to go back to the waterfalls, but by then, everyone was a bit traumatized and shouted "NO!"

We were taken to an old fort and then a beach viewing area for 10 minutes. Neither was very interesting.

Our four-hour excursion that was to begin at 9:30 ended when the ferry returned us to the ship at 5:00, (three and a half hours late) so we didn't have time to go to town. No food, no water to purchase during the hours after the National Park.

This experience reflected so poorly on the situation inside Guadeloupe which is a country experiencing very high unemployment, but it is French, so the attitudes and behavior reflect what I consider an anti-tourist stance and a detriment to their people. The ship docked next to us (Mein Schiff) did not allow any of their excursions off, so we were fortunate in that respect. So, perhaps 8,000 people that day saw the worst part of life in Guadeloupe which could only hurt their tourist industry. All the signs are only in French and the vast majority of merchants and restaurants will only take Euros. The port area was described as quite dumpy and unwelcoming.

Other excursions were impacted. The one that did the Botanical Gardens and a beach break had their beach time reduced to 45 minutes so no one entered the water!  

Here is a quote from another passenger about Guadeloupe:

Pointe-A-Pitre (sometimes Guadeloupe in general) can be a little misunderstood. people are not falling over themselves to help you as this is France and although this island is actually rather poor, people do receive welfare, and also as France is run through a centralized political structure, there is not a very natural entrepreneurial attitude. Locals sometimes are wary of foreigners, as 90 percent of tourists are French, their one-time colonizer turned postcolonial governors. Add to this the fact that English is not widely spoken and you will see how a quick pit stop off a cruise ship may not be everything you imagined it would be from the glossy brochures. 

I give MSC high praises for being proactive and using ferries to make the excursions happen. 

This situation is very sad as Guadeloupe was quite beautiful once you left the port area. Personally, I have no incentive to ever return.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2