Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
doglover214

Cancellation Fees in 2020

Recommended Posts

we are currently booked on a cruise in late July 2020. We are changing to one a few weeks earlier. Crystal wants to impose a $100 cancellation fee. Since we are booking  another cruise, will they refund that fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never heard of Crystal having such a $100 charge

 

By making the change to another cruise as opposed to a full cancellation you are negating the invocation of the non refundable deposit element

 

 Are you sure this isn’t your travel agent making the charge (if it is I’d be looking for a new TA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect you are talking about the $100.00 administrative fee for your booking.  The fees range up to $500 per person depending on voyage.

 

If you cancel bookings starting with 2020 the fees apply.

 

However, if you rebook something else (even for 2021 or as far out as the itineraries go at the time of making the change) you can avoid the fee.  You can only do this one time per booking.  In other words if you rebook something now and avoid the fee if you cancel that newly booked cruise months from now you cannot avoid the administrative fee for the original booking again.

 

We have already done this for a booking that we moved to a new booking.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your TA should be able to give you this information.  If not, you need a new TA.  Double check all information not from non travel agents that have posted here.  Get your information from Crystal or your TA.  We have seen some misinformation posted here from posters and also get it in writing or e-mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

You can only do this one time per booking.  In other words if you rebook something now and avoid the fee if you cancel that newly booked cruise months from now you cannot avoid the administrative fee for the original booking again.

 

I appreciate this is their stated policy but the day they apply it to one of my bookings will be the last day I sail with Crystal 

 

I know they’re trying to avoid flippant changes but sometimes family illnesses or special events may come up necessitating a change - I’ll never totally cancel and will want to rebook but I may need to change cruises - if I do that multiple times and they feel it necessary to take $500 per person (I think that’s what it is for WC segments) or even $100 from me after the first change it will be the end of a beautiful relationship 

Edited by Stickman1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MalbecWine said:

Your TA should be able to give you this information.  If not, you need a new TA.  Double check all information not from non travel agents that have posted here.  Get your information from Crystal or your TA.  We have seen some misinformation posted here from posters and also get it in writing or e-mail.

From the Crystal Web Site noting the administrative fees including the $100.00 administrative fee that the OP has asked about.

 

https://www.crystalcruises.com/guidebook/before-you-sail-fares-deposits-payments-cancellations

 

Of course the TA could provide the information but it will be as I posted.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

 

I appreciate this is their stated policy but the day they apply it to one of my bookings will be the last day I sail with Crystal 

 

I know they’re trying to avoid flippant changes but sometimes family illnesses or special events may come up necessitating a change - I’ll never totally cancel and will want to rebook but I may need to change cruises - if I do that multiple times and they feel it necessary to take $500 per person from me after the first change it will be the end of a beautiful relationship 

I hope this won't be the case.

 

If  you make an exception for one person or one type of event I am not sure where you draw the line.

 

Anyway as they say time will tell.  Let's hope that not many of us have to change due to family illness or other issues and that also goes for people having to cancel at the last minute which unfortunately does happen. 

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This can be moved to another Crystal cruise before penalty or if a medical issue is involved  insurance will cover it.  Many variables and not written in stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also be a bit annoyed that since sailing Crystal from the beginning the first year of their launch and many other Crystal cruises and staying in the top suites or any suite, stateroom etc.  This would definitely put us off.  I’m with Stickman on this one.  If one wants to throw $500.00 away that is their choice.  This is not a good policy IMHO.  As much as we love the crew and ambiance we certainly can find something else comparable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

This can be moved to another Crystal cruise before penalty or if a medical issue is involved  insurance will cover it.  Many variables and not written in stone.

 

The policy is one move only allowed then this charge is made

 

I doubt it’s worth claiming on insurance given many have an excess payable 

 

No this is one I think Crystal have got wrong - but until it happens to me I’m not stressing about it. It would be pennywise and pound foolish for them to make such a charge in my opinion 

 

A simple change would be you can make changes but you would incur the charge if you want to totally cancel 

 

With the recent changes they’re enjoying the use of our deposit amounts for significant periods - such is life but maybe that’s good for thought for them - or maybe it becomes a Crystal Society benefit at a certain level just as airlines give status holders many no charge privileges for things like seat selection or luggage. I just don’t think Crystal have thought this through 

 

As always - time will tell....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your way of thinking Stickman.  Like airlines we avoid penalties for loyalty programs.  Crystal should put into place the same as we are loyal and have spent $$$$$ or some pounds on cruises with them.  Most of the CS members book another cruise either onboard or through their TA.  Crystal needs to reconsider this for their loyal guests as a benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rules are rules.  The key is that Crystal and one's TA communicates the change in advance of the booking. 

 

When we book our airline tickets we understand the penalties and when we have booked our cruise line reservations our TA explains to us the rules if they are new or we are unfamiliar with them such as with two other cruise lines a few years back.  The same goes for hotels.  I usually do not book a hotel rate that is not refundable but if I did I know the rules.

 

I really don't think how many times you have sailed with Crystal or what room you book should make a difference.  I do not think someone booking a CP or PS should be treated differently nor whether you have one booking or 100.  I know that some people don't take insurance for cancellation but they know the risk and on occasion I have heard of someone going to Crystal asking for the money to be applied to another cruise and this is just not something they or any other cruise line would do. 

 

I don't like to throw away money and thankfully do not.  At the same time I know the risk when we make a booking and that might include the risks having to cancel a cruise at the last minute. 

 

Anyway let's hope this doesn't happen often and that those new to Crystal have TA's that go over all of this with them as our TA would do for us.


As to the original poster the good news is that the OP can move this booking to the new cruise that has been identified and avoid the cancellation fee.

 

Keith

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s not completely true.  Some lines will let you move your deposit to any cruise.  Do you know all the rules of every luxury line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MalbecWine said:

That’s not completely true.  Some lines will let you move your deposit to any cruise.  Do you know all the rules of every luxury line?

Where did you hear me talking about moving money or comparing lines.  

 

What I said was that our TA told us about the cancellation fees when we booked a cruise with a cruise line we were not familiar with and one of the rules that both lines had was that there was a fee for a straight cancellation and we understood the other rules such as rebooking. Also we understood the terms including when the final payment was due and the cancellation fees they had which can vary by line or even by type of voyage.  

 

The key is to know the rules before one books or for that matter purchases anything such as issues for a refund at a store or any cancellation or shipping fees for returning something via the internet so that the consumer can make an intelligent decision having all the facts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fully aware of the cancellation fee but this might turn us to another luxury line that does not have these stringent deposit rules if you cancel before penalty sets in.  It really is a put off to many Crystal cruisers.  I am hearing this from friends as well.  Not a good move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MalbecWine said:

I am fully aware of the cancellation fee but this might turn us to another luxury line that does not have these stringent deposit rules if you cancel before penalty sets in.  It really is a put off to many Crystal cruisers.  I am hearing this from friends as well.  Not a good move.

When it was announced people were surprised.

 

I rarely hear it mentioned anymore including on this board, on the ship, and by my friends.

 

In fact, the on-board consultants on our Fall Cruises and since we boarded in December have been very busy and that included people booking cruises for 2020 and beyond.

 

I am not for cherry picking.  Crystal certainly has some policies that differ from other lines (some people might think are favorable and some they might not) as is the case for the rest of the product.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if the onboard bookers cancel they will forfeit their $$ if not rebooked in the calendar year of the original booking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the onboard booking contract it has four corners.  If the penalty is not mentioned Crystal may have issues.  We alway book through our TA and still get the discount. We do don’t book onboard as we get the same when we return home with our TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MalbecWine said:

Look at the onboard booking contract it has four corners.  If the penalty is not mentioned Crystal may have issues.  We alway book through our TA and still get the discount. We do don’t book onboard as we get the same when we return home with our TA.

Yes the mention the administrative fee at the time of booking on board.


Sometimes we book at home and other times we book on board. 

 

Just depends.

 

OK,  getting ready to rejoin Serenity in a few hours so I hope the original poster has what they needed which I believe the OP does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Well if the onboard bookers cancel they will forfeit their $$ if not rebooked in the calendar year of the original booking.  

The same administrative fee applies whether you book it on the cruise or via the TA and that includes being able to rebook another cruise one-time to avoid the administrative fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I know that some people don't take insurance for cancellation but they know the risk and on occasion I have heard of someone going to Crystal asking for the money to be applied to another cruise and this is just not something they or any other cruise line would do. 

 

Only Crystal know what they do in such situations however on this occasion your assumption is wrong in terms of their stance on their policies - I know of a couple who had to cancel close to sailing and within the final deadline period for cancellation with a penalty. In their case it was due to illness which unfortunately resulted in death for one of them. Crystal allowed those monies to be moved to a future cruise - so it has happened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

 

Only Crystal know what they do in such situations however on this occasion your assumption is wrong in terms of their stance on their policies - I know of a couple who had to cancel close to sailing and within the final deadline period for cancellation with a penalty. In their case it was due to illness which unfortunately resulted in death for one of them. Crystal allowed those monies to be moved to a future cruise - so it has happened 

Glad to hear it.

 

As I said I hope none of us are in this situation.

 

See you later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I rarely hear it mentioned anymore including on this board, on the ship, and by my friends

 

Your sample size is minute and can’t really be used to accurately assess the impact or application of this policy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Stickman, I have heard of this happen before as you pointed out.  Travel Agents can go to bat for you if they want to or not.  I have heard that Crystal has been quite flexible in SOME cancellations and moved money for another cruise.  They have the deposit anyway so what difference does it make?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

 

Your sample size is minute and can’t really be used to accurately assess the impact or application of this policy 

Not really.

 

I think sailing with lots of people over sixty days, reading every post on this board and hearing from others via e-mail give is not small.

 

Definitely heard a lot more concern about going inclusive, specialty restaurant fees and concerns about one table size with open dining than I have on this issue.

 

Yes it's opinion.  Of course most things when it comes to cruising is opinion.  

 

Well, now I definitely need to go.

 

Enjoy your dinner with friends and adult son tonight.  

 

 See you on board. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...