Cruise Critic Community
doglover214

Cancellation Fees in 2020

On a cruise I seldom read every post.  I’m too busy having a social life and try to get away from society media and just have fun.  I’m not glued to it.

15 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

On a cruise I seldom read every post.  I’m too busy having a social life and try to get away from society media and just have fun.  I’m not glued to it.

We have a nice social life so not glued to it. But this is not a mass market board so it does not take long to catch up on the two or three threads started each day. 

Since they have topics o pics we can cherry pick what we read

Good news. The cancellation fee was not applied since we booked another cruise upon cancelling the first one. 

18 hours ago, doglover214 said:

Good news. The cancellation fee was not applied since we booked another cruise upon cancelling the first one. 

Did you cancel first and then book the other? I am cancelling a trip, but already have booked another (2020),and hope it won't be a problem

1 hour ago, docmark said:

Did you cancel first and then book the other? I am cancelling a trip, but already have booked another (2020),and hope it won't be a problem

If you already have another cruise booked before you cancelled the first one then that one would also have its own administrative fee.  I would have your TA confirm this with Crystal Cruises.

The way we did it is we cancelled and booked another one.  You technically have 12 months to book a new one before the credit expires.  This is the details that had come from Crystal Cruises.

===========================================

Effective for all 2020 voyages:

• A cruise deposit of 25% will be required at the time of booking, regardless of voyage length (this applies to all Crystal Experiences — Ocean, River and Yacht Expedition)
  • For cancelled bookings, a non-refundable administrative fee will be issued in the form of a Future Cruise Credit*, per guest, as follows:
    • $100 on ocean sailings 13 days or less
    • $200 on ocean sailings 14-21 days
    • $500 on ocean sailings 22 days or longer
    • $500 on yacht expedition and river sailings regardless of length

[*]Final payment

• 120 days prior to departure on ocean sailings 13 days or less
    • 150 days prior to departure on ocean sailings 14-21 days
    • 180 days prior to departure on ocean sailings 22 days or longer
    • 120 days prior to departure on yacht expedition and river sailings regardless of length

[*]Cancellation penalty:

Cancellation PenaltyOcean

13 days or lessOcean

14 - 21 daysOcean

22 days or longerRiver & Yacht

All25%120 - 91 days 150 - 121 days 180 - 151 days120 - 91 days50%90 - 61 days120 - 91 days150 - 121 days90 - 61 days75%60 - 31 days 90 - 61 days 120 - 91 days60 - 31 days100%30 days60 days90 days30 days*Future Cruise Credit issued per guest expires after 12-months from date of cancellation if new booking is not made.

Thanks Keith

My TA said I could apply the cancellation, even though I have not yet cancelled and have booked another 2020 cruise....SO I hope she is right , if not, she needs to SHARE the burden!!

As I have mentioned, your TA is your advocate.  Crystal can be flexible.  What you are reading in writing is not always the case.  I know this first hand .

3 hours ago, docmark said:

Thanks Keith

My TA said I could apply the cancellation, even though I have not yet cancelled and have booked another 2020 cruise....SO I hope she is right , if not, she needs to SHARE the burden!!

You are very welcome and hopefully it will work out for you.

Please let us know the outcome should you do the straight cancellation without booking something within one year of the time you cancel.

Keith

Just to give my two cents, as somone who still works, I am deeply concerned about the new policy and penalties etc. My job is such that situations can arise which could potentially require me to change our schedule. Losing 25% of my deposit 5 months out from a cruise, is too long and very restrictive for us. We are now starting to book 2020 cruises so my concerns have now resurfaced as they are now becoming reality with the 2020 bookings. One shouldnt feel anxious about booking a holiday or for booking well in advance to obtain good pricing and to obtain good airfares/seats etc. and anxcious is exactly how the policy makes me feel now. Even the airlines that we fly dont have a policy so restrictive like this, granted I have a particular status with both Qantas and Virgin Australia that basically allows me to cancel 1 day before a flight with very minimal to no penalties.

As I mentioned in a previous post when the policy was announced, it will over time alienate the younger demographic which Crystal needs to continue successfully in the future. 

I agree with Stickman in that the first time I lose out, which in my opinion is inevitable at some stage given the current policy coupled with our situation and how often we like to cruise (on Crystal exclusively I should add), I am going to have a massive problem with them.

What’s next...charging for extra luggage so they don’t have to bunker extra fuel?  People thought that would never happen with airlines years ago but it did unless you were flying First or Business.

These new penalty’s are abhorrent especially for people’s who are still working.  

Shh...don’t give them ideas 🙂

To clearly state my objection on this policy - I don’t like that you can only change once - I just want the ability to move it to a second or third cruise if I need to.

If at the end of my time on earth or I’m confined to land due to health issues they happen to be holding a $100 or $500 multiple transferred booking fee then so be it - It won’t worry me at that point 

The fact is the majority of lines now have some sort of cancellation/admin fee in place, in large part because people abused the system with multiple "speculative" bookings knowing there was no downside risk to doing so. For lines like RCI, with massive inventory, (though even they now have Non-Refundable Deposits subject to an admin fee) this is less of an issue, but it can be a real problem in the higher end where inventories are much smaller, In fact the river cruise lines, with the same inventory issues have always charged an admin on fee cancellations of $100 to $300 depending on the line. Personally, I think anything over $100 is excessive, and the restriction on the numbers of times it can be moved is unnecessary. I also have a real problem with requiring final payments at six months, but that is another topic entirely.

Edited by Roland4

Aside from the penalty, I think the six month final payment might be a deal breaker for some and when do the penalties kick in prior to final payment?  We like to keep our money as long as we can.  Ninety days out is reasonable for penalties to start.

Final payment for our 2020 cruise (WC) is 4 months not 6. It is 6 months for the early payment discount, but it has always been thus. My feeling is that while not crazy about the fee, it is what it is and we deal with it. It's steep enough to make people think before making frivolous bookings. Remember how the small fee affected Prego and Umi Uma? While unpleasant, I don't think that $500 per person will kill us if we have to cancel a cruise - we would only do that for a major problem, which would more than likely dwarf the fee.

The thing is we have never made multiple bookings.  I know some people do which effects the inventory and I understand that.  I know most of us can afford the fees but it is principal and a bit excessive.  Some people hold bookings before releasing the booking to their TA.  I never understood that as you can cancel with the TA as well before penalties kicked in.  I know of some people that made onboard multiple bookings and needed some time when they got home to decide which cruise or cruises they wanted.  For many people and some not this is a financial decision.  

It is the cancellation penalty that is the main issue for us. In 2020+ you lose 25% of your fare if you need to cancel 121 days out for 13-21 day cruises and 151 days ot for 22 day + cruises. This is very restrictive for someone who still works and likes to book their holidays well in advance to take advantage of savings and to obtain airline tickets etc. The previous 90 day policy was more reasonable. The $100 or $500 I can deal with as it can be applied to the next booking. But the potential loss of $4000+, I have an issue with these new thresholds.We just booked a 26 day cruise in 2020, which I am a bit nervous about as I dont think that on December 26, 2019 (the last day to cancel without incurring a 25% penalty), I am going to know my full work commitments for a 24 May 2020 cruise.

That is a problem for most people who are not retired but definitely can afford a luxury cruise. This will pop people out of the planning when you don’t know what next year or the following year will be.  This program is penalizing  people who have limited flexibility and need to plan but the dynamics of our lives change often so our flexibility of moving a cruise or losing a deposit six months out is outrageous and 25% is a lot to lose in any category.

Edited by MalbecWine

Like all policies I am sure that overtime the policy will be reviewed by Crystal Cruises to see if it attained the goals that it intended to.

While most people preferred the old policy that reality is that there were many bookings made that ended up as cancellations.  Most of us know this from our own experience.  Often we found a sailing that we booked to be booked full or booked full in specific categories.  We knew people who could not book the cruise or get the room they wanted.  Rather than wait to see if things opened up they booked with another cruise line or on another voyage on Crystal because they wanted to have a firm plan and they wanted to purchase their airfare.  As the cruise neared often things opened up and the result is that Crystal had a lot of open inventory.

If this policy works as desired yes there will be less up front bookings and maybe some people will book with other cruise lines.  At the same time they will have a grasp on the demand and a better sense of the fill rate so that if a cruise is not selling well they have more time to come up with a promotion, to subdivide the cruise into smaller voyages or to market the cruise to one or more groups. 

I surely don't want to lose money so with the new policy we will adjust our bookings accordingly but again that is what Crystal was trying to do with the new policy.  We know the risk up front and will deal with this accordingly.  This happens today when we book our airfare.

It is interesting about those who work.  My own experience when I worked full-time is that to project out a year in advance whether or not I could take off for specific dates was impossible.  As such most of our vacations/holidays were arranged in shorter windows and certainly if air was involved and there were penalties we waited until much closer to the actual date to make our decision.

I do come at this as I do most things from a business perspective.  It's a business.  The business doesn't succeed with a policy that allows for a high percentage of cancellations that the ship sails at a low occupancy level.  Maybe this new policy went to the other extreme but IMHO that is for Crystal to figure out and like all policies to review them regularly and to make adjustments if necessary.

I have found over the years that Crystal is the type of company that when they implement something if it doesn't work as desired that they make the necessary adjustments.  They do listen to their guests and to the travel agent community.  That does not mean that they can support/implement each and every item that the guests and/or travel agent community wants or to make everyone happy because if they did they would likely be unprofitable. 

Again some people will make adjustments to their bookings.  This could be not booking out as far as they have or not making the early final payment to get the 2.5% savings.  This is no different than adjustments that we have made in selecting flights and the time frames for purchasing the tickets.  This has also been no different than some of the hotel decisions we have made.  There are some hotel properties that I used to book as soon as their reservations were open for the dates we desired.  However, in some cases I cannot do that now because at certain properties when the date first opens up in their system the only reservation that can be made involves prepayment and a non-refundable reservation which is something we don't do.

As is the case with most items, each person will determine whether or not their approach to booking needs to be adjusted based on this policy which rolled out many months ago. 

For me, I want Crystal to be profitable because that means they will be around and that means they will introduce new ships and expand and enhance their product.

I feel the same way about the airlines.  They had some terrible times.  I am glad that many are making money and have been pleased that several of them got to the position where after years of no enhancements that many are expanding their fleets with new aircraft, improving the on-board experience and the experience at the airports such as upgrading their lounges and amenities provided.

Keith

6 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

It is 6 months for the early payment discount, but it has always been thus

I think with the new policy you need to pay 9 months in advance in order to receive the early payment discount and the cruise needs to be fully paid 6 months in advance.

23 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

I think with the new policy you need to pay 9 months in advance in order to receive the early payment discount and the cruise needs to be fully paid 6 months in advance.

That is what I understand as well.  I’m sure others will be put off with this new policy.  Most of us can pay way in advance but we are not letting Crystal money grab and nine months for the discount is not fair to the consumer.  The 2.5% use to be done at the time of booking even if you booked a cruise leaving in a couple of years.  This whole scenario has changed.

As far as airlines AA lost money in the last quarter because of rising fuel prices as well as others reporting Oct 25th 2018.  Domestic airlines will not hold a candle to  ME carriers or Asian carriers.  If anyone that has flown Cathay or Emirates in first class or business there is an  extreme difference in their lounges and superb inflight service. For domestic flights Delta is our go to airline.  AA’s new 737 max is horrible in first...hard smaller seats and a tiny lavatory and less leg room.  I forgot to mention Qantas as well lovely airline.

Ok, back to the original topic about Crystal.

31 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Shirin, you are correct.

This is precisely how the policy works.

We are glad that Crystal still offers the 2.5% early payment discount even with the change in its timing. Whether someone chooses or doesn't choose to go with this option is up to them.

Keith

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

You're right. I only remember the 6 month advance payment, no way will we pay 9 months ahead.

40 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

That is what I understand as well.  I’m sure others will be put off with this new policy.  Most of us can pay way in advance but we are not letting Crystal money grab and nine months for the discount is not fair to the consumer.  The 2.5% use to be done at the time of booking even if you booked a cruise leaving in a couple of years.  This whole scenario has changed.

As far as airlines AA lost money in the last quarter because of rising fuel prices as well as others reporting Oct 25th 2018.  Domestic airlines will not hold a candle to  ME carriers or Asian carriers.  If anyone that has flown Cathay or Emirates in first class or business there is an  extreme difference in their lounges and superb inflight service. For domestic flights Delta is our go to airline.  AA’s new 737 max is horrible in first...hard smaller seats and a tiny lavatory and less leg room.  I forgot to mention Qantas as well lovely airline.

Ok, back to the original topic about Crystal.

Don't forget AirNZ, we've been on their 787 and it is a dream flight. We also like Asiana but were underwhelmed on SingaporeAir.

NZ yes is a wonderful airline.  We have not flown Asiana yet.  We have given up flying BA  as their service has declined over the last few years and we don’t like LHR terminal 5 which most international flights come into.

Keith - I appreciate you taking the time on your cruise to compile an 800+ word response/explanation of the policy and your individualistic views on why you support it. 

We all want Crystal to be successful. I am just merely stating my view on the matter and how this impacts me and the many people who are in similar circumstances. Whether or not this stacks up as important or a consideration for Crystal - time will tell. I fully understand the business side but there are less draconian ways to deal with it. 

What I can say is that the first time I get caught out by this policy - even though I am fully aware of it, I am going to have a big problem with it. However, if they run their brand like I run mine (and so far they do), then there shouldn’t be an issue.