Cruise Critic Community
doglover214

Cancellation Fees in 2020

The other side of these issue to me - is that there are things Crystal should do as part of the agreement between passengers and cruise line.  Before the required date they should have to complete all the information about the cruise.  For instance on our Tokyo to San Francisco cruise a little more that 2 months from now which is a Theater and Film cruise - the Theater and Film program is still listed at TBA - as are the destination lecturers.  Knowing Crystal's totally  up to date web site it could be just they haven't bothered to update the web site.but that is no excuse and I shouldn't have to contact on board services to get information about the cruise I'm taking.    What if I don't like what Crystal is doing for the theme of the cruise or changes it?   Maybe I only took that cruise because of the theme.  If and when they announce it should be required before final payment is required or penalty for cancellation.

Sure changes might be required but there should be no requirement until full information is available from Crystal.  New management certainly hasn't fixed or prevented some issues.

5 hours ago, ctjon said:

The other side of these issue to me - is that there are things Crystal should do as part of the agreement between passengers and cruise line.  Before the required date they should have to complete all the information about the cruise.  For instance on our Tokyo to San Francisco cruise a little more that 2 months from now which is a Theater and Film cruise - the Theater and Film program is still listed at TBA - as are the destination lecturers.  Knowing Crystal's totally  up to date web site it could be just they haven't bothered to update the web site.but that is no excuse and I shouldn't have to contact on board services to get information about the cruise I'm taking.    What if I don't like what Crystal is doing for the theme of the cruise or changes it?   Maybe I only took that cruise because of the theme.  If and when they announce it should be required before final payment is required or penalty for cancellation.

Sure changes might be required but there should be no requirement until full information is available from Crystal.  New management certainly hasn't fixed or prevented some issues.

The only thing really wrong with what you say is that Crystal is almost alone, as far as I am aware, in providing that level of detail to their clients prior to departure and they do it as a service. They really do not have to. One of the things people tend to forget is that Crystal has always been ahead of the curve in providing all of this additional information to their guests and we really have no "right" to expect it in making our booking decisions, and certainly there should be no expectation of it factoring into the final payment policy. Let us not confuse "need" with "want". 

6 hours ago, ctjon said:

I must agree with you as we have selected a Crystal cruise or cruises based on the theme.and who are the the special guest chefs and entertainers.  The TBA within six months is kind of an issue with some of us and having to pay in full and still not knowing after the final payment.  Yes, some people do book but would like to know who is scheduled to be on the ship and we all know there is no guarantee but gives us some idea.

I am with Larry on this one.  With very few exceptions I am aware of no other cruise line that provides the amount of details that Crystal provides.  Yes on occasion another cruise line might sell a cruise as a themed cruise such as Celebrity who might have a band(s) on board who were big in the 60's/70's or I believe at least in the old days NCL having some cruise sold with one of the attractions being a players from a sports team on board.  With Cunard I believe you can see some personnel who will be on-board although it was not something I could discover on my own but rather through CC.

I am reminded that Cancellation or no  Cancellation penalties the contracts that Crystal and all cruise lines have in place allow for changes.  Some people book a cruise for the itinerary and I am reminded that from time to time all cruise lines change the itinerary.  For some that is a much bigger deal than some TBA's for enrichment/entertainers.

I am not being flippant on this one but each person needs to make a decision on whether or not they book early based on the new policy.  If it is something that one doesn't like they can book the cruise later but by doing so they might not get the room category they want.  Same goes for paying early.  For me I continue to pay early and that included when the percentage savings was lowered several years ago.  Again, another personal decision.  The other thing is to carefully read the contract.  While the contracts are several pages to me they are a pretty easy read unlike say an insurance company on ones home or auto.

On a personal level I do appreciate that Crystal provides a listing of the themed cruises well in advance.  While I don't book a cruise based on the themes it is still good to know and it is good for those people who book the cruise for the themes.  Often the TBA's for personnel are true TBA's with cases where someone has been slotted and listed only to being removed as they no longer can be on that cruise or in situations where they have not been able to lock in a performer or enrichment or some other person.  

Keith

We booked a cruise with a food and wine theme and it because a Beer and Food theme.  We do not like or drink beer but we are very into wine tasting.  We also booked a British Isles Cruise and after booking because a Golf Themed Cruise.  We don't golf and there is no information about it other than there are shore excursions with golf instruction and ability to play at some of the clubs.  My husband plays bridge and we've been on a couple of cruises where there are onboard tournaments but those must be booked with the TA who is sponsoring the theme and the price is much higher.

One of the reasons I mentioned the TBD issue was I was hoping it was just a web site issue and the details would mysteriously appear but they didn’t. 

Normally, I would have booked cruises for 2020 but have paused based on the cancellation fees even though I rarely cancel.  Maybe, this is their purpose??  Although 100-200 USD per person is not a huge amount considering their prices, it becomes more of a deal as our large group considers the Christmas cruise to Asia.